Question Java 8u221 does not work

Aug 8, 2019
So, Java doesn't work me. I download it, and Java simply doesn't open - tried a lot of things, didn't work. I downloaded also the JDK, and I could open it, but when reaching "The wizard will guide you", clicking "next" does absolutely nothing. I'm lost and I can't seem to find a solution.

Moderator edit >> OS: Windows 10

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralston18

Titan
No error messages or pop-up windows?

Look in Reliability History. There may some related error code or warning regarding Java's failure to load and run.

Have you tried uninstalling/removing all Java files and then a fresh download?

Are you certain that you are downloading Java from a trusted/legitimate site?

Aug 8, 2019
No error messages or pop-up windows?
Nope, none. I click on it and it doesn't do anything.

Look in Reliability History. There may some related error code or warning regarding Java's failure to load and run.
Looked at it right now, there's nothing about Java there.. I just tried to install them again, still nothing in history.

Have you tried uninstalling/removing all Java files and then a fresh download?

Are you certain that you are downloading Java from a trusted/legitimate site?
Yeah, a couple times. The result was the same, it wasn't installed.
And yes, it was from the Java website and the JDK from the Orcale website.

Aug 8, 2019
what are you wanting to do with java? i found bluej to be a nice coding platform for java if that's what you want.

it of course comes with the jdk as it should. even a handy portable version to use from a usb if needed.
I tried to update it and it didn't let me, so I tried to uninstall and reinstall Java, and since then I can't seem to get it installed. It's not in Apps in Features also

Ralston18

Titan
Anything that could be blocking java?

Are the following links from the download website that you used?

https://www.java.com/en/download/win10.jsp

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Note the following from the first link:

"In Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Internet Explorer, for example) to run the Java plug-in. Select the More Actions option located at the top right of the Edge browser and click on Open with Internet Explorer. More info"

Doublecheck the installation requirements and the download that you selected.

D

Deleted member 14196

Open a command prompt and type in Java -version

What does it say? if it says anything it's installed.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm pretty sure java does not show up in the program list. you'll have to look manually and see if it is in your program files.

re-reading your first post it seems like you are talking about java for the browser and not really meaning to use the jdk which is for actually writing code in java language. or an i totally wrong here?

Aug 8, 2019
Anything that could be blocking java?

Are the following links from the download website that you used?

https://www.java.com/en/download/win10.jsp

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Note the following from the first link:

"In Windows 10, the Edge browser does not support plug-ins and therefore will not run Java. Switch to a different browser (Internet Explorer, for example) to run the Java plug-in. Select the More Actions option located at the top right of the Edge browser and click on Open with Internet Explorer. More info"

Doublecheck the installation requirements and the download that you selected.

Yep, tried with these websites and also with Explorer right now, still nothing.

Open a command prompt and type in Java -version

What does it say? if it says anything it's installed.
"
Error: opening registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'
Error: could not find java.dll
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.
"
Although just as I stated above, I installed and (I suppose, tried to-) run Java from IE.

i'm pretty sure java does not show up in the program list. you'll have to look manually and see if it is in your program files.

re-reading your first post it seems like you are talking about java for the browser and not really meaning to use the jdk which is for actually writing code in java language. or an i totally wrong here?
Yeah, I suppose it is Java for the browser. I thought JDK was more or less the same thing, sorry for the confusion.
I searched right now at the program files, didn't find a Java folder.

Aug 8, 2019

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i guess the next question is what do you need java installed for? there is a reason it's pretty much gone from the web. seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get something working that is not used anymore.

i can't even think of anyplace that still uses java......

Aug 8, 2019
i guess the next question is what do you need java installed for? there is a reason it's pretty much gone from the web. seems like a lot of trouble to go through to get something working that is not used anymore.

i can't even think of anyplace that still uses java......
A game I tried playing suddenly crashed (and was using java) and the log said it was because of java. So I tried updating it, and nothing happened... and here we are.

Also, Even though I tried installing it numerous times, it still doesn't appear in control panel - and when checking if it's on my PC, it says I don't have java...

D

Deleted member 14196

clean install windows. that's your fix. the fact that java.exe is responding in the command line is proof enough it's there AND looking at missing registry keys. Clean install windows and start over.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you are sure java is not installed at all, then ty uninstalling and reinstalling the game itself.

it likely will install java as part of it's installer package. that's the next step. if the game is that important to you, then if that does not work, you could try a fresh windows install.

otherwise i'm not sure why java plugin won't install. you can also try going into the install files and finding the java folder. maybe reinstalling the version thee can get around whatever roadblock you are hitting.

last thought i have is to be sure where the game thinks java is installed. if the game uses it, then it needs to know where to find it. it may have put in in a non-standard place. when you get java reinstalled, it may go to another location and the game won't be able to find it. otherwise, reinstalling the game should help reset things.