Java Will Now Set Yahoo As Your Default Search Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that is unfortunate. I was just thinking the other day when I had to install Java x64 how I like there are no toolbars or stupid garbage like this in the installer. Too bad they sold out.

Java had an already bad rep, this is only going to make it worse IMO.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
companies like Yahoo instead need to rely on strategic partnerships to help grow their business
Why is the tech world so backwards and dishonest that instead of growing business by offering superior products at competitive rates we are trying to sneak our way into user systems, virus-style? Shame on you, Yahoo!.

bochica

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Yahoo! is already starting to annoy me with their broken updates to their email, and now they want Java to help them piggy back their search engine? It was bad enough Java tried to piggy back the Ask! Toolbar through their installs. We don't need another crappy search client.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
why cant we just have installers that install what they were downloaded for in the first place...

if you want to piggy back on software instillation, make it an opt in not an opt out. sneekly changing users settings like this is how you piss off your average computer user.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
companies like Yahoo instead need to rely on strategic partnerships to help grow their business
Why is the tech world so backwards and dishonest that instead of growing business by offering superior products at competitive rates we are trying to sneak our way into user systems, virus-style? Shame on you, Yahoo!.

because anymore you say ill google that when you want to search... if it wasnt for practices like this, no one would use yahoo... or at least not enough to even cover operation cost.

Saberus

Distinguished
If I wanted to use Ya-hoopdie, I would already be using it. Yahoo's just doing anything to try and cling to their former success, but like many others, they stagnated while at the top thinking their place was secure, and now they're trying to avoid paying for that hubris.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Yahoo! is already starting to annoy me with their broken updates to their email, and now they want Java to help them piggy back their search engine? It was bad enough Java tried to piggy back the Ask! Toolbar through their installs. We don't need another crappy search client.

Couldn't agree with you more on the email issue. I've found it virtually unusable in its current state.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Oracle seems to be a rather sleazy company, based on what they try to do with Java in the past and now, although I do admit this is MUCH better than the old crap they pulled (Ask/McAffee)

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Well this is nothing new. It use to install Ask.com toolbar and change your homepage to Ask.com on the x86 version which is why I stopped installing it and stuck with the x64 version. At least the x64 version didn't install junk

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
As long as it does need updates every two minutes I'm ok with it, and as long as it does not have shitload of security problem I am ok with it

Hello,

Glad you guys are enjoying my article Unfortunately there wasn't anything else of great interest in the shareholders meeting they had. I do want to say I think everyone agrees that at least this is an improvement. I mean, I'd rather Google get shut down and have to use Yahoo for everything than have to fight trying to uninstall McAfee and the Ask toolbar. Both of which fight to stay on your system like a virus.

Long story short, there are worse things in life, so try Yahoo if you accidentally install it, or change back to your preferred home page and search engine. At least it won't take more than a few extra seconds, and you get java for free still which does enable a wide variety of programs to be used, and doesn't charge anything.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
How is Yahoo still a thing in the search engine space? I haven't see anyone use it since the late 90's. I had honestly just thought it must be a front end on a google search.
I use a Yahoo email but that's purely as a legacy thing since it was my first online email address from the 90's. I only use it for sign up pages and places where start getting spam. You have to run special adblockers to use Yahoo email though as they have inline ads in the inbox now which is really annoying.

true, but its all BS. It just annoys people, it does nothing positive.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
Wow that is unfortunate. I was just thinking the other day when I had to install Java x64 how I like there are no toolbars or stupid garbage like this in the installer. Too bad they sold out.

Java had an already bad rep, this is only going to make it worse IMO.

There are only add-ins if you install from Java.com, like there always has been. If you install from Oracle.com there are no such additional bloatware.

gorfmaster1

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
That only means I will be getting rid of java as soon as it is not needed. which Chrome has started the ball rolling towards its grave, Firefox is not far behind.

rokit

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Its pretty easy to automate updates via java.com and little script, its not that easy(possible via autoit3 or something like that but it requires gui usage) to do with oracle.com as it requires authentication to get permission to download and at a time i needed this wget/curl didn't work with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS