Question Jazz drive

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I used to have a jaz drive and an iomega external drive. I would like to know about tape and DVD backing up and be able to read from an external drive. I remember the tape drives and they were slow so probably obsolete. Any reasonably priced gear for me to use both tape and DVD. Also BluRay does hold more. so any ideas please. It does have the benefit of taking it from PC to PC but I don.t know if the PC have to have minimum requirements.

Technically, tape drives are still being sold, but only high-end units for server use that tend to cost thousands of dollars. For home use, tape hasn't really been practical for many years. As for DVDs, those are only good if you don't have that much to store on them, due to their limited capacity, and blu-ray burners tend to be relatively expensive, and while their capacity is larger, you still would need to deal with managing a large stack of discs if you wanted to store terabytes of data.

Your best option for a local backup is probably an external hard drive if you need to store hundreds of gigabytes or more, since you don't have to deal with having files spread across numerous discs or devices, and performance should be relatively good.

Or if you don't need to backup that much data, something like a thumb drive or SD card might be fine.

popatim

Titan
I use a mix of BDR and External HDD's.
  • Annually I make two full copies to BDR's. One goes in my basement and the other goes into my sisters.
  • Two HDD's get updated whenever new stuff gets added to my home server.

This is in addition to the daily server backups.

USAFRet

Titan
Hard drives are much cheaper per GB.
Cheap enough to have multiples.