Question JBL Bluetooth Headphones TUNE220TWS have no sound

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Hello,

I am struggling getting sound from my JBL TUNE220TWS Bluetooth headphones on my Windows 10 PC.

It works just fine when connecting via bluetooth to my android phone but I cannot seem to get any sound out from them when I try connecting it to my PC via bluetooth.

It says the device is connected and paired. When I play a YouTube video I do not hear any sound but sometimes there is sudden sound in a fraction of a second, something like stuttering. Then the sound disappears again.

Sometimes also it struggles connecting and a few minutes later it disconnects by itself.

Could anyone help me out, please? I'm truly not sure what it could be.

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
How is it connected to your PC? Is it a BT dongle or BT on your mobo? Please give us the details on the hardware.

In System Settings under Sound is your output device set to the BT speaker?

What's your other sound output situation? Any other devices?

I wrote that it is connected via bluetooth to my PC.

I use the motherboard TUF GAMING X570 PRO.

Nothing else is connected regarding sound except my webcam.

Jan 4, 2022
I wrote that it is connected via bluetooth to my PC.

I use the motherboard TUF GAMING X570 PRO.

Nothing else is connected regarding sound except my webcam.

Yes I was asking specifically what device on your PC is accepting the BT signal, for instance I use a BT dongle as my MOBO does not have BT capability. Looks like your MOBO is the BT device that accepts the signal?

Make sure your BT receiver on your MOBO is updated. Youc an find the driver here.

Unplug the webcam, connect the JBL speaker. Same issue?

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Yes I was asking specifically what device on your PC is accepting the BT signal, for instance I use a BT dongle as my MOBO does not have BT capability. Looks like your MOBO is the BT device that accepts the signal?

Make sure your BT receiver on your MOBO is updated. Youc an find the driver here.

Yes, the motherboard should accept that signal since it has a bluetooth option. I do not use an external device for that.

I updated my sound and bluetooth driver but the same issue still persists. It is not a JBL speaker but earphones.

Still having the exact same issue. Very strange. Anything else I could try?

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019

Also, it seems that it is connected. When I play a video from time to time sound comes out but just for a fraction of a second. It is stuttering. Then it stops again for quiet some time.

When the video is running and I go to "sounds", I see the green volume bar moving and jumping slightly up and down. But in my earphones there is no sound, just sometimes loud sounds for less than a second.

Jan 4, 2022
Also, it seems that it is connected. When I play a video from time to time sound comes out but just for a fraction of a second. It is stuttering. Then it stops again for quiet some time.

When the video is running and I go to "sounds", I see the green volume bar moving and jumping slightly up and down. But in my earphones there is no sound, just sometimes loud sounds for less than a second.

Strange indeed. Sorry for the basic troubleshooting tips, sometimes it's easier to get the simple stuff out of the way.

Any other BT device you can connect to the PC to troubleshoot, see if it experiences issues as well? I think we've established the BT earphones work via your phone.

Your MOBO documentation mentions antenna to attach to the back of the PC to support the onboard wireless and BT. Those are installed?

What's your wifi situation? Is it running on 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz?

Do you have ASUS Armory installed?

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Strange indeed. Sorry for the basic troubleshooting tips, sometimes it's easier to get the simple stuff out of the way.

Any other BT device you can connect to the PC to troubleshoot, see if it experiences issues as well? I think we've established the BT earphones work via your phone.

Your MOBO documentation mentions antenna to attach to the back of the PC to support the onboard wireless and BT. Those are installed?

What's your wifi situation? Is it running on 2.4 ghz or 5 ghz?

Do you have ASUS Armory installed?
Please don't be sorry, any help is very welcome.

So, it seems that I have figured it out since you have mentioned "antenna". I do not have an antenna but since I thought that the signal might be bad, I starting moving my head with the earphones connected closer to my PC and suddenly I have solid, normal sound and a normal sound flow. The further I move my head, the stuttering starts to happen or the sound is gone completely.

To fix this it seems that I need to buy antenna if I plan to be further away from the PC, correct? Or is there a way to enhance the signal somehow without an antenna? Since I deal with PC and bluetooth for the first time, I was not aware that the signal can be that bad without an antenna.

Jan 4, 2022
Please don't be sorry, any help is very welcome.

So, it seems that I have figured it out since you have mentioned "antenna". I do not have an antenna but since I thought that the signal might be bad, I starting moving my head with the earphones connected closer to my PC and suddenly I have solid, normal sound and a normal sound flow. The further I move my head, the stuttering starts to happen or the sound is gone completely.

To fix this it seems that I need to buy antenna if I plan to be further away from the PC, correct? Or is there a way to enhance the signal somehow without an antenna? Since I deal with PC and bluetooth for the first time, I was not aware that the signal can be that bad without an antenna.

According to your MOBO documentation it should've come bundled with it. Documentation here. Im looking at pg. 48 of the English language version.

Obviously confirm that im looking at the right MOBO. Look at the back of your PC, do you see the two open plugs for the antenna?

Are you wirelessly connected to your network?

I would try another BT device on your PC, see if you get any issues as well but it may be inconclusive. You can contact ASUS support to get a hold of another one. If it's under warranty they may replace it for free, or if you ask nicely :). Otherwise they may charge you.

Reactions: BasicConcept

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
According to your MOBO documentation it should've come bundled with it. Documentation here. Im looking at pg. 48 of the English language version.

Obviously confirm that im looking at the right MOBO. Look at the back of your PC, do you see the two open plugs for the antenna?

I would try another BT device on your PC, see if you get any issues as well but it may be inconclusive. You can contact ASUS support to get a hold of another one. If it's under warranty they may replace it for free, or if you ask nicely :). Otherwise they may charge you.

Well, that's really funny. My friend built the PC together and did not plug in the antenna that they delivered with the motherboard. I also did not plug it in since I did not understand what this antenna does. I plugged it in and now, obviously, I can walk around and still have full sound.

Issue is resolved, thank you SO much for your time and fixing this (very stupid) issue.

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019

Now the issue that I am facing is that the audio is delayed by like half a second. It feels weird watching a video or having anything else running with this obvious delay. Do you happen to know what could cause this?

Jan 4, 2022
Now the issue that I am facing is that the audio is delayed by like half a second. It feels weird watching a video or having anything else running with this obvious delay. Do you happen to know what could cause this?

1. Have you restarted the PC?

2. Right-click on the Speaker icon in the lower-right corner of your taskbar. Select “Troubleshoot Sound Problems." A pop-up window will appear with a selection of your audio devices. Choose your Bluetooth headphones then click “Next”. The next steps depend on the issue identified by the Troubleshooter. Follow the on-screen prompts for troubleshooting the device. Hopefully Windows can automatically fix the issue.

You could also try restarting the windows services:

1. Hold down the Windows key (on your keyboard) then press R to launch the “Run” dialog box.
  2. Type services.msc then hit Enter.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom of the window that will appear and look for “Windows Audio”.
  4. Right-click on it then select “Properties”. Going to device properties
  5. On the “General” tab, select “Automatic” for the Start-Up type.
  6. Click the “Recovery” tab.
  7. On the drop-down selection for First Failure and Second Failure, select “Restart the Service”. Click OK.
  8. Do the same steps for the Windows Audio Endpoint Builder.
  9. Restart your PC then reconnect your Bluetooth headphones.