[SOLVED] JBOD for Mac

Jan 23, 2021
Please go easy on me! I'm definitely not a pro. Thanks!

I have exhausted my Google searches and can't find an answer, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I was recently given a JBOD by a friend of mine who closed his video editing business (Covid struggles).

The JBOD he gave was a iR8MIS6G - iStoragePro 8 Bay 6G 2U Rack Mount Mini-SAS JBOD Enclosure with a ARC-8026 SAS Expander Module in the back. I want to use this system for mass storage for video editing.
I am currently running a Mac Pro into a Sonnet SCSI expansion chassis which connects via SAS to an 8 bay Sans Digital Chassis. When I set it up with a Sans Digital 8 bay SAS chassis, it works beautifully. The Mac was able to see the enclosure and allow me to initialize all 8 drives as a RAID. However, when I substitute the Sans Digital chassis for the iStoragePro chassis my Mac can not see the chassis. What I'm wondering is, is the ARC 8026 SAS in the back of the iStorage chassis set with some sort of firmware that inhibits the Mac from seeing the drives? (there's 8 x 2TB drives in the enclosure). Or is this controller supposed to be connected to something else first (like a RAID controller card)? My friends little business edited with Macs (not sure if that matters or not).

Is there any solution to getting the Mac to see the drives on this JBOD?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Solution
As far as I can tell. You need a compatible card going from the Mac to the iStorage. I didn't notice mention of what card you have in the Sonnect expansion chassis.

I couldn't find the factory manual in a brief search. But the Macgurus ad I found for the iStorage. Seems to indicate that the card installed in the chassis is for daisy chaining more iStorage units only. Not going to the computer.

The connection to the computer needs either. Installation of a compatible SAS card in the Mac. Installation of an optional Thunderbolt module in the iStorage.
As far as I can tell. You need a compatible card going from the Mac to the iStorage. I didn't notice mention of what card you have in the Sonnect expansion chassis.

I couldn't find the factory manual in a brief search. But the Macgurus ad I found for the iStorage. Seems to indicate that the card installed in the chassis is for daisy chaining more iStorage units only. Not going to the computer.

The connection to the computer needs either. Installation of a compatible SAS card in the Mac. Installation of an optional Thunderbolt module in the iStorage.

Solution
Jan 23, 2021

I believe you could be right. He said they had several JBODs connected. Perhaps this was in the middle of the chain. To answer your question about the Sonnet, I simply have a thunderbolt card stacked next to an SAS card. Which works great on another SAS drive chassis but not on this iStoragepro.
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply! I will see about possibly getting another card.

All the best!

Jan 23, 2021
That or try to find the Thunderbolt adapter for the iStorage. Which may be cheaper as the SAS card runs about $800. Plus you'd be able to use it with other Macs. Who knows if the SAS card will ever get ARM drivers.
Thank you very much for the advice! I'll look around and see if I can find a relatively inexpensive adapter.
I appreciate your time.