jetdirect network problems

dan_cyr

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Linksys Wireless G router died, and I replaced it with Belkin N600 DB. The Linksys ran as a gateway, and 12 computers and 6 network printers all had static IP addresses. I set up the Belkin to assign dynamic IP addresses between 192.168.2.20 and 192.168.2.200, and assigned static IP address to the printers below the 192.168.2.20. Both printers using jetdirect cards, (a HP LJ4000 at 192.168.2.3, and a HP Designjet at 192.168.2.5 5500PS,) are undetectable on the network. When I try to ping them I get "Destination Host Unreachable". I can ping printers with addresses above and below the ones assigned to these printers, and I have triple checked the configuration on the HPs. What's up with that?

Solution
Will crawl out on the proverbial limb with respect to the "why". Mostly out of curiousity and general food for thought....

On the Belkin you can either reserve a working DHCP IP address by selecting Reserve which captures the device MAC.

Or you can manually enter the desired Static IP and the corresponding device MAC and "Add" it.

Fairly sure that you figured that all out.

In the process of setting it all up again via the Belkin there was probably some IP address conflict.

Plus the router is reserving an IP address for a device that comes in with a request for a DHCP IP address.

And the firewall was blocking an IP address request from an "unknown" device whose MAC was already listed. So somewhere along the way, between the...

Ralston18

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from dan_cyr : "Jetdirect cards undiscoverable on the network"

How did you reserve the static IPs - what MAC did you use for each device?

Wondering if the printer MAC was used versus the Jetdirect MAC maybe...?

dan_cyr

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

dan_cyr

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
I am new to this forum stuff, and apparently don't know how to answer each reply. I have both printers working on the network, but I am not exactly sure how it happened. Let me reply to the two people who offered input, and then tell you what happened.

kanewolf: Gateway was fine, and, as it turns out, on one of the devices, I failed to turn off the DHCP. So I wasn't pinging the right address.

Ralston 18: I reserved the static IPs by only allowing the router to assign dynamic IPs above the ones I reserved for Static. (Range from 192.168.2.20 to 192.168.2.200) I set the static IPs below 20. I would have suspected this was the problem, but all the other printers worked.

Solution? I turned off the firewall on the router, and the first jetdirect I pinged responded just fine. So I turned the firewall back on, and it stilled pinged OK. The other printer did not ping, so I checked the config for the 4th time. Apparently I had not turned off the DCHP. The firewall is still on, and both printers are working on the network now. I just don't know why.

dan_cyr

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017

Ralston18

Titan
Will crawl out on the proverbial limb with respect to the "why". Mostly out of curiousity and general food for thought....

On the Belkin you can either reserve a working DHCP IP address by selecting Reserve which captures the device MAC.

Or you can manually enter the desired Static IP and the corresponding device MAC and "Add" it.

Fairly sure that you figured that all out.

In the process of setting it all up again via the Belkin there was probably some IP address conflict.

Plus the router is reserving an IP address for a device that comes in with a request for a DHCP IP address.

And the firewall was blocking an IP address request from an "unknown" device whose MAC was already listed. So somewhere along the way, between the pinging and firewall being open, the router got everything sorted out: device, MAC, IP addresses.

Overall issue being ARP related perhaps...

Maybe someone else following this thread will post some comment helping with the "why".

May save you some grief in the future if the problem pops up again.

Solution