Question jittery mouse cursor

bbxrider

Reputable
Dec 11, 2017
just got a new inland, also marketed as proHT, keyboard/ mouse combo, this is my third, and the previous 2 have worked very well, I really like the super small keyboard size yet with full keys for numbers and cursor moving. with this new one, sometimes the mouse cursor gets jittery and flits around like a fly, it stops when I just move the mouse. however, its a pain and has caused me to select the wrong item on some busy screens where the cursor just moved over the next field at just the wrong time. the mouse pad is a hard surface circle off the side of a keyboard shelf holder which is part of a taskmate adjustable height monitor shelf- keyboard stand I use to be able to stand instead of sit to break up those long hours using my pc. Is this just a buggy mouse? is there some setting somewhere I can tweak to see if it will correct the situation? windows 10

sometimes the mouse cursor gets jittery and flits around like a fly, it stops when I just move the mouse. however, its a pain and has caused me to select the wrong item on some busy screens where the cursor just moved over the next field at just the wrong time.
i've run into the same issue a couple of times.
each time it was the mouse itself causing it. trying on different systems and the same issue would eventually arise again.
replacing with another mouse was the only solution i ever found.

if it's a new set, returning for refund or RMA'ing to the manufacturer should still be an option.
is there some setting somewhere I can tweak to see if it will correct the situation?
'Settings > Devices > Mouse' gives the option for cursor speed and double click speed
but not DPI or other mouse related options.
those would be controlled by any available mouse manufacturer control software.

bbxrider

Reputable
Dec 11, 2017
thanks, evidently its not the mouse, found a solution

see pics, turns out the finish on the mouse pad is slightly bumpy like in an orange peel paint finish, and my guess its bumpy enuf to throw off the micro size lasar beams. I scotch taped a circle cutout from a standard office manila folder and everything works fine, solid and steady.

its somewhat hard to see from the pic but if you know paint finishes you can see the orange peel.

I'm surprised task mate didn't address this better because overall the monitor stand is a great product.

so hth if anybody experiencing a similar problem, check that mouse pad area carefully to be nice and smooth.

View: https://imgur.com/guxWzZb

View: https://imgur.com/O3xS3EA

btw, there is no way to attach images? just insert links?

no way to attach images? just insert links?
Tom's doesn't host file uploads, just links.

a long time ago i had a mouse pad that also affected the cursor in a similar way.
it had an odd 3D texture that was a type of raised clear plastic bubbles.
mouse would also jump around sometimes when the laser shone through some of the plastic surface.
i would think manufacturers would've learned to stop using those types of surfaces by now.
good it was a simple fix and not malfunctioning mouse.