Job Posting Reveals Canonical's Plans for Ubuntu Phone OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This is really good finally root access without special tricks.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
It could be successful if they make it easy to use, (eg that most people will never even see a command line unless they want to, and also avoid everything about this when it comes to installing anything http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty_beryl_ati_radeon )

if they can do that then it will be a great alternative.

Also keep in mind that since it will be their first attempt at smartphones, there wont be many apps so it will have a lot of catching up to do.

G

I am looking forward to Ubuntu on tablets and phones. The new Unity OS is geared toward touchscreen devices and has been working toward this for years, while getting flack from users. Personally, I'm still on Gnome for my desktop system, but am looking forward to a phone/tablet OS which doesn't feel like crippleware. I want to be able to do simple things: require a root password to make changes to the system, take a screenshot without root access and a third party program, copy/paste easily etc. This is what Unity was born for and its great to see the pieces falling into place. Mark Shuttleworth may turn out to be a visionary for bringing Ubuntu Linux into the technology of the 21st century.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
@Razor512: That almost angers me. Why would you post a link to something dealing with Ubuntu 7.04? You realize we're currently on the verge of Ubuntu 12.04? Ubuntu does not need a terminal to operate these days. It is there for *convenience.* (Yes, it makes my life easier to be able to automate any task I want.) Users can poke a GUI all day if they want. Let me quickly grab a link to Windows 95 being failific....

Cy-Kill

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Razor512:
"Also keep in mind that since it will be their first attempt at smartphones, there wont be many apps so it will have a lot of catching up to do."

But didn you read, there's a planned merge between the mainline Linux kernel and Android's forked Linux kernel.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
In that case it would be good especially if there can be support for android apps.

also @coder543, while that example is old, it still exist for the current versions of ubuntu, mainly for the apps that are in the tar.gz format where you have to go through a ton of commands to install them (while some can be install if 3-4 commands, there are many that require you to edit config files just to get the program installed.

My main point in the statement is as long as they can avoid as much command line as possible then it will attract a wide user base.

lathe26

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I agree with Razor512: Ubuntu has to protect the average user from EVER seeing the command prompt. Anything that requires the prompt equal failure for the average user. The prompt is fine for advanced users.

Let's hope Ubuntu can avoid problems like the 11.04 upgrade 'grub' debacle.

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
[citation][nom]amdfreak[/nom]great news. Does this mean we can expect Ubuntu Store soon for Ubuntu phone apps ?[/citation]

there already is an Ubuntu app store (Ubuntu Software Center), its been around for a few years, and with Ubuntu One they are already getting geared up for cross platform syncing and apps or whatever =D

G

I wonder how long it will be before Canonical is hit by a trainload of bogus patent lawsuits from Apple/MS... =(

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]upgrade_1977[/nom]So are we gonna have to code everything to get it all working the way we want?[/citation]
Just like the good ol' days!

richarduk

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
Would be good, I have used Ubuntu for a few years now having dropped windows because of the costly upgrades. I have also been using UbuntuOne for a few months, great cloud service. Works well on my android but better on the desktop as it's built in. Having a phone OS with it built in would be good. One note on caution on this job posting, it could be to do with 'Ubuntu for Android'??? I for one would throw my S2 in the bin and run out and buy ANY phone that had 'Ubuntu for Android' on it!
Fed up waiting for my ICS update!!!! (UK Orange)

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I hope the use QT for the GUI development. The GUI in Android is primitive when compared to other Linux GUI development libraries. Other than that, I don't see much difference between Android and Ubuntu. I would expect their apps will be cross-compatible... sort of the way we have Gnome apps and KDE apps.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Wow, I guess you better not have a negative opinion about linux on these forums! Everyone who said something negative has gotten a thumb down. That's a bit sad.

Lets be honest here. If Ubuntu wants an Ubuntu Phone to take off, they can't have much user interaction pressing "install" when they need something to work. Granted, I doubt this will be a problem, considering they'll be working on a small selection of hardware, so I doubt they'll have compatibility issues that require you to open a terminal.

Realistically, you can expect an Android that allows you to customize it to the n'th degree with free (open) software that doesn't require you to "jailbreak" the phone to obtain.

It could be great, or it can suck. We won't know until we see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS