John Carmack Gets Lifetime Achievement Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarger

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
So ... afterwards they shoot him?

Carmack has life left in him. If he gets a hair cut he might even get laid before the end.

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
well deserved imho. The man created some of the most popular computer games ever written. Wolf 3D, the Doom series and Quake are all under this man's belt. Hats off to you Mr Carmack you are a pioneer in this industry and produced the greatest FPS games known to date. Here's to more success

[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]A very bright and talented individual.Looking at the list of previous recipients I noticed Sid Meier of "Civilization" fame. That brings back a lot of memories from a long long time ago.[/citation]
+1. Too bad they don't make games like games like Wolfenstien, Quake,etc any more. All we have now are cr@ppy console ports.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]Gratz! Idk what I would do without my FPS games[/citation]
It is called the outdoors. I kid.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
we miss you man.

all those years ago when you showed Nintendo what gaming could really look like, on the family PC no less.

wish you would do it again now...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
This guy deserves a freaking Emmy, Oscar, Nobel Peace Prize (really Obama, you kidding me?), and a moat of sharks with fricking lasers on their heads!

Even then, we wouldn't be doing the man justice.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
The Doom Ri-Res pack is the way to go guys.
Download it
Play it
It is the way, the truth and the light.
I still haven't made it as far as the end level of Doom 2 where you see John Romero's head on a spike, it will be interesting to see if they have got a more up to date skin for John's face.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I still have fond memories of playing Doom 1&2 on a Pentium 1 running at 60MHz. Doom 3 is still probably the scariest game I ever played. Now stop making iPhone games and finish Doom 4.

G

Glad he got the award he deserves it.

Not only for making breakthrough games but for also supporting Linux !

I should mention I had 3D fps games on the Amiga pre Carmack...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Congratulations! How many games have tried to live up to the quakes gamestyle, quick, fast, skillbased FPS.

Not like todays wannabe console games with auto-aim and other crap needed to even control it, then when the word skill or elite gamer is amonth the words i can only laugh my ass off!

G

Hey... don't forget Carmack's involvement in Commander Keen, either! Why the heck does "real" gaming all have to be FPSs?
Does anyone remember the blurb in Commander Keen 1 where they "previewed" Quake... at the time they bragged about the 256 color graphics and how you would start out as the most powerful person on earth!

greeve

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
I don't think Carmack has taken a picture of himself since that last one was taken back in 1985. Congrats to him tho, the engines he makes are ground breaking.

G

A renowned game programmer with an asian wife - an idol to every single basement-dwelling atheist.

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]+1. Too bad they don't make games like games like Wolfenstien, Quake,etc any more. All we have now are cr@ppy console ports.[/citation]

Huh? Did you just happen to miss the Half Life franchise? The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. franchise? Crysis franchise? Mass Effect franchise? All of those are ongoing and PC-first if memory serves me correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.