John Carmack Gives PlayStation 4 a Thumbs Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

feeblepenguin

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Breaking news! John Carmack Gives PlayStation 4 a Thumbs Up!
Then the article is only semi related and seems to push that it will only be the same. But better.
Then it ends on a questioning note.
Dear tom, write better titles!

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Got to give it to Sony. As crappy as the people were presenting the PS4 news during a 2 hour presentation, their direction is actually sucking this Microsoft fanboy in. Either way it'll be a difficult choice for anyone to choose between this generation of consoles. Console specific titles will nail people to the wall. On the plus side it seems as though consoles are going to a near-PC specs which not only may lead to much better ports, but a return of PC Gaming.

It's a great year to be a gamer.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]supr[/nom]has carmack even done anything worthwhile in the last 10 years?[/citation]
He has a hand in most every technological innovation for gaming. Maybe not necessarily in the creation, but certainly in other aspects. He is a really brilliant guy, watch this keynote (long, but oddly interesting the whole way through) from quakecon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt-iVFxgFWk
He is a genius that is actually innovating.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
John Carmack kicked my butt and everyone else on my team on Doom 2 back in the BBS days. He needs nothing else to earn my respect.

b4gg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
John carmack is the triple A dev/ engine dev equivalent of what Jonathan blow is in the indie games scene.
A lot of people may have bad things to say such as arrogance or over rated but the mans mind is one that is truly unmatched in his industry... he builds space rockets for fun and takes on reinventing vr for a laugh... he is truly a god among men (in his industry)
We need more people like him with a critical mind but a very open way of thinking, how many other companies open source there shit when they release their new engine?

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]supr[/nom]has carmack even done anything worthwhile in the last 10 years?[/citation]
AAA title Rage, multitexture technology, rejuvenated VR technology, Armadillo Aerospace, father, etc

linuxlowdown

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
[citation][nom]ankit0x1[/nom]@linuxlowdown- lntel bashing/rant should be commenced only after this get verified.....so hold in a bit[/citation]

Just covering myself legally son... if you can't see that.

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
@linuxlowdown

Actually its only for the future SoC

http://technewspedia.com/rumor-intel-x86-socs-will-not-support-dedicated-gpus/

linuxlowdown

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
[citation][nom]viper666[/nom]@linuxlowdownActually its only for the future SoChttp://technewspedia.com/rumor-int [...] ated-gpus/[/citation]

I hope this is correct viper666. We'll have to see. But if it is true that Intel plans to cut out AMD and Nvidia discrete GPUs, I will view it as more of a move against Nvidia. Apparently, Nvidia has not returned a profit on their Tegra line. If their GPU business were to be cut, Nvidia would be in hot trouble. Maybe Intel wants to put Nvidia into such a position where it has no option but to sell to Intel? AMD, however, could survive such a move with their APUs.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Before you get all googly googly over the PS4 being x86 based, remember this: Sony stuck in that secondary chip to make it all nice and closed system.
Have fun.

helipro

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Rage was a bit more tricky than just a sellout. He has spoken on the subject (and said sorry one might add) a few times. An entire career of amazing things and innovation to call him a sellout after one mistake is a bit extreme :p

cRACKmONKEY421

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Carmack is still one of my most favorite nerds. Been that way since the early 90s for me. He has made some weird decisions though.

This article was all over the place BTW, but so am I sometimes.

30 FPS is way too low. If they used mouse aim, they would really feel the difference. I find it hard to stand 60 FPS. I waited a long time to switch from CRT mainly because of the 60Hz max on most flat panel monitors. Very disappointed in Carmack and Rage because of that. He though about it a lot, then decided to put a hard cap on 60 FPS with Rage. WTF... why make it so we can't adjust the FPS cap Carmack?

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I loved every game that Carmack has made. RAGE was not a failure IMO. It always ran great on my machine and when problems popped up they were very quickly patched. Introducing the new idTECH 5 engine was so radical there were bound to be a few issues.
The game RAGE is awesome fun. Some people complained that the mission was too short. That is true if you are trying to set a record to finish it first, but there is plenty of room for exploration and side missions. I played the game though 3 times last year. I found the introduction of driving to the FPS genre very innovative and fun. After all he tested it with his kids to make sure they thought it was fun.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Carmack is a poor game designer. I think everyone can admit the games he has been on have had a shallow gameplay experience. However, Carmack is not known for his superior game design skills. Carmack is known for his engines. id Tech 5 Engine is without a doubt the most advanced game engine on the market. For him to say the hardware on the PS4 is good just means he can utilize the hardware well to make an engine for it.

susyque747

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
[citation][nom]Quadacon[/nom]I'm going to stick with Xbox[/citation]
From what I am hearing good luck selling or buying a used game and make sure your internet is on and their spy camera is on if you want to play.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
[citation][nom]Quadacon[/nom]I'm going to stick with Xbox[/citation]

I am going to stick with good games... meaning the platform which has the most games i want to play. The reason you want to buy a gaming system (PS4/Xbox 2/PC) is because of the games... not the hardware.

Now one of the next gen console spec more closer to PC, I just hope it will be easier for some game developers to make better console port. I am looking at you 2 - Ubisuck and Rockstar. They really need to put more R&D into their "porting engineering". Limited resolution/key mapping support, buggy port, bad mouse/keyboard control, super high PC system requirement... these problems should not be occur in 2012.

G

So how much did Sony PR pay him to give a thumbs up to try to keep the ship from sinking as its doing now over the PS4.

linuxlowdown

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]So how much did Sony PR pay him to give a thumbs up to try to keep the ship from sinking as its doing now over the PS4.[/citation]

Sony chose an open HSA AMD architecture for their console. This means programmers will be able to get to the guts of the hardware. This is not PR BS. Also, if you're an Intel fanboy, this is also good for you - because it will keep AMD alive to live another day to provide an alternative to Intel's middle-class CPU tax - that Intel otherwise wouldn't hesitate to raise higher at the stroke of a pen.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

No, Project Denver/Boulder are adding cpu's to their socs (in house style) and will enter desktop/notebook/server markets that currently only Intel/AMD are in (a good 4-5 arm vendors are doing this, NV not alone).

Android or Chrome OS running one of these effectively cuts out INTEL/AMD from a product in any of these 3 markets (or insert OS for the soc here, linux/WinRT etc?).

With Valve/Google/NV/Arm all moving games away from DirectX this is easy to do a year or two down the road. Opengl, opencl, webgl, html5 are all enabling this. Once games are made with these 4, DirectX (and in turn Windows) isn't needed to play the games. Once we aren't stuck in windows for gameplay, there is no reason to pay WINTEL. Google will continue to improve google apps (office replacement) and further cement this. The next rev of google apps is suppose to be quite a bit more advanced now that the basics are out of the way (time to add features to it until we're all blue in the face like office has 10,000 things most of us never use).

All of these companies have great management and I'm sure this is the plan as if you look around you can see it happening. It's just a matter of time now. Project Shield, OUYA and Steambox will all woo us away (and devs) from Directx. IOS too, but they're becoming a non market share (they're down to 15% now with Android ~80, IOS drops quarterly now). IF Apple dips below 10% share, devs will begin to focus solely on Android/PC (pc including consoles now since x86/amd gpus). Next stop no PC. Engame=mission accomplished at this point ;) IF they get us off directx MS is screwed.

I feel a HUGE grin coming on....ROFLMAO. Apple/MS/Intel deserve what is going to happen :) Yes, I have a crystal ball...LOL.

Google will hit $1000+ as they conquer internet. Replacing my current $100 cox connection/30mb/s with $70-100 700+Mb/s is a game over for cox etc. It's just a matter of time (I reserve the right to up this to $2K/share if they roll out quicker..LOL)

NV will hit $25+ in under 2yrs. (just after xmas 2014 I'd say, or whenever Boulder hits in 2015). They'll be in netbooks/desktops/notebooks/servers then.

Unless Apple spends 5-10B on gaming shortly they can't stop this (takes a yr-2yr to get a good game out). They have just about let google build up too much userbase to kill this process. IF they put out a console and started up say 50-20mil AAA titles for the next 5 years they can take this all over ($1bil/yr for 5yrs). They have $140B, so this is a joke to them. They also need to mimic google's ISP rollout but faster since they are swimming in cash. Their management just seems to dumb to do this though...LOL. So they let Android start to take over due to their inability to invest in themselves (longer term, like a 5yr GAMER/ISP plan to kill consoles/cable etc) without attempting to milk us every 6-12mo again. They seem Short-sighted while google seems to have the 10-15yr plan (take over internet, I own the pipe, market share on devices, way to advertise to you, you can't shut me down, then I take over directx/games I kill wintel). I'd expect Google to buy netflix but that's just me thinking out loud... :) This way you have the network, the games, the content and the content delivery mechanism all in place. With cable/apple/wintel hurt you're golden for years as you enter the cell tower market just like the cable isp business. Same strategy using what you already laid down (or strapped to poles as it were). They are making money at $70 because they get neighborhoods to sign up 25% or so before committing. Great plan, quick rollout and adoption. I LOVE THIS PLAN. Now if they can just speed it up by about 3x and roll it out like mad we can all be happy at 25-30x our current speeds...ROFL. I'm talking unlimited business connection (at 30mb/s I dont' have a regular connection). I would switch to these speeds for $100 in a heartbeat, never mind the $70 they are doing it for now. Cable should do this, but they're too busy milking us too. Clearly you can spread 700-900mb/s easily at no cost as google is doing it for profit at $70. They even offer free 5mb/s for 7yr if you go with them. It's a no brainer. I think it was 5mbps might be 2, I can't remember and it's 7am...I won't be very smart for a few more hours on a sunday morning...LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.