John Carmack Just Left id Software to Focus on Oculus VR

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008

Well they did just have id make them a new engine so ES will probably be using this: http://gaoom.com/2013/11/14/zenimax-parent-company-bethesda-filed-trademark-application-void-engine-powered-id-tech/

I don't know. RAGE was pretty bad at launch because the game required very specific OGL drivers and neither AMD nor NVidia had them. Was a fun work around though.

I respect John Carmack but in recent years he seems to have lost interest in PC gaming.

sicom

Honorable
Mar 1, 2012
I thought this happened months ago... I remember something about him moving into the Oculus Rift building full time.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Probably for the better because he's always been better at designing tech than designing games. He'll be able to focus all his efforts on making a VR system that's actually worth the while.

TyrannousCheese

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Yo! Where is Doom 4?? I know it went back to the drawing board in August, but hurry up with it. I have a need to shoot a pinky in the face with a shotgun while being jumped by a hundred other demons.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Maybe this will help getting Oculus Rift finally on consumers' hands. It seems like the best thing to happen to gaming since 3D, but that won't help if it never comes out.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

I just got my Oculus Rift dev kit in the mail a week ago, and let me tell ya, it is amazing.

I had really high expectations when I ordered my development kit, but once I got it up and running it's capabilities exceeded my expectations by a lot.

It's one of the best things that's ever happened to PC gaming, ever.

John Carmack is one of the industry's greatest minds, especially when it comes to PC hardware and capabilities. It says a lot about the Oculus when someone of that caliber leaves the company he created to work on the rift.

This is good news, for sure.

Nefos

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
I am not that kind, who would wait for a hardware/software/anything in the line at its release date.
but I would stand for it.
It seems really promising and amazing. I cannot wait for the consumer friendly version. any ETA about it?
How much does the DK cost?

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

There is no consumer release ETA, but our best guesses place it somewhere in 2015. They want to give us developers a chance to create games specifically for the rift, and to get released games working with it before they throw it out to the consumer.

There is nothing worst than throwing out a piece of hardware that has near zero software support. It would be a huge failure. So they're giving us time to work with it.

The dev kit has a really low resolution and is $300. It's not advisable to purchase one unless you're actually planning on using the SDK to develop games for it.

The consumer model will have plug in play support, a much better looking high resolution screen and by then will have a lot of games optimized to use it.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

What are you talking about? One of the best parts of the Oculus rift is how surprisingly light weight it is. You can wear it for hours and not even be bothered by it.

Back in the day, VR headsets were really heavy because the screens were basically CRT tech. With the advent of ultra thin HD LCD screens, like the ones your smartphone uses, the weight is a non-factor any more.

In fact, the first thing I noticed about the rift when I unpacked mine was how light weight it is. It barely weights more than a pair of ski-goggles.

Nefos

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
im getting more and more exciting, althogh 2015 is far away :/
could you make us a small review/first impression as a consumer and developer please?

jigawatt

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I was very disappointed to hear this. I've been an id gamer ever since I had a 486, I was exposed to Wolfenstein 3D. I've played darn near everything they released and loved it (for pc). When I read about the Bethesda acquisition, this was my greatest fear... and unfortunately, that fear came true. I'm a diehard fan of the Doom series, but since they became under Bethesda, I've lost in faith with what is to be released. After all, they had to head back to the drawing board... that and the departure of Todd Hollenshead (and now the founder leaving too). It was a good run.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008

Sure,

My impression is that it's the future of PC gaming. I'm a big fan of 3D monitors, I have a VG278H Nvidia 3D Vision 2 monitor, but I have to say, the oculus rift 3D looks and feels so much more natural.

The first thing I noticed about the rift was when I was in the world demo, and I was standing next to a candle fixture on the wall, it looked like I could just reach out and touch the candle. The 3D effect is just that perfect, because of how the rift is designed. It's a much more natural 3D effect.

The motion tracking is nearly perfect. There's no noticeable lag, so looking around feels natural when you set it up right.

The weight of the rift is extremely low, so it's comfortable for long sessions.

I personally feel that "cockpit" style games will be where this device shines the most. Games like Hawken, Titanfall, racing games, and the like will have an AMAZING experience. Being able to keep the same controls and feel, but with the added bonus of looking around your surroundings naturally will be simply stunning.

But don't let that fool you, just about any first person style game is instantly boosted from the rift, and I've started messing around with 3rd person concepts with it, which show some promise as well.

I got Skyrim working great in 3rd person mode, and it feels like you're in the world, following your hero around behind him or her lol. So the where the rift will probably shine the most in cockpit style / 1st person games, I can see 3rd person games working well too.

Here's a good review, with unboxing and their impressions of it in a more in depth write-up.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5723/oculus-rift-vr-development-kit-thoughts-so-far-and-its-future/index.html

My advice to non-devs, do not buy the dev kit. Resolution is way too low, and the support for games is not there. You'd be throwing your cash away for something you'd probably use for 1 or 2 games, for a few days.... maybe show it off to your friends once in a while, but you won't be replacing your monitor or TV with it any time soon.

2015 is far away, but the dev kit is not a toy. Wait for the consumer model.

LordHaHa

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Wow. Todd Hollenshead and now John this year. Think that's pretty much it for "old ID", in terms of personnel. Stylistically...well that's up for debate of course but it's still a little sad to see.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
U are comparing it with the VR back in the days, I saying the practicality of wearing it over long period. It weights 379g, thats just over half the weight of an Ipad 4 on ur head. How is that light?

The technology isnt there yet, until we get near a regular sunglasses weight, I wouldnt call it standard weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.