[SOLVED] Join/Chain routers?

iainmacleanny

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hi,
I am having a hard time trying to chain together routers and could use some help...
I have the following setup

• WiredRouter: TP Link TL-R600VPN, connected to the internet and to each of the Wifi's routers
  • Wireless-A: NetGear R6300, connected to the WiredRouter and mostly media devices including Printers/Netdisks etc.
  • Wireless-B: Google Wifi, connected to the WiredRouter and Laptops

I am trying to join the networks so that I an be connected on one wifi and access devices on the other. I've read a few guides and understand that I need have the main WiredRouter manage the IP addresses for the two other routers. However however after I disabled DCHP on Wireless-A, I'm no longer able to connect on the Wifi as devices cant obtain an IP address. Ive checked the logs on the WireRouter and aside from the request from the Wireless-A to obtain an IP address, I don't see any further requests suggesting when devices connect to the wireless router, their requests arent being routed to the DCHP server on the Wiredrouter?
Thanks in advance...
Iain

Solution
Normally you want everything on the same subnet, so everybody can talk to anybody. To accomplish that you would configure 2nd, 3rd routers etc as ACCESS POINT, there is a STICKY on on the WIRELESS forum for how-to.

TRENDING THREADS