Join Tom's Hardware For An AMA With Asus, March 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not socketed CPUs on the gaming laptops? I want an extreme CPU in an extreme laptop! Same question goes to you, MSI.

Well I'm not into gaming laptops, but I imagine the guy or gal that doesn't want to pay for the extreme CPU also doesn't want to pay for the extreme engineering to accommodate the CPU that they don't want. :p

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
It is very helpful to have an extreme CPU as an option down the road to upgrade the laptop when the CPU gets cheap. These laptops can handle the heat of an extreme CPU, so that's not the issue. Other than that it's CPU support by the UEFI. Throttlestop really opens up their potential. Intel I think is pressuring these companies to only have soldered CPUs in their laptops, which sucks.

It's not for weight savings, Asus gaming laptops are very thick and heavy yet have a soldered CPU.

It is very helpful to have an extreme CPU as an option down the road to upgrade the laptop when the CPU gets cheap. These laptops can handle the heat of an extreme CPU, so that's not the issue. Other than that it's CPU support by the UEFI. Throttlestop really opens up their potential. Intel I think is pressuring these companies to only have soldered CPUs in their laptops, which sucks.

It's not for weight savings, Asus gaming laptops are very thick and heavy yet have a soldered CPU.

It might be because of all the movement that laptops undertake. a "non secured" CPU might get damaged by all the bumps and bruises that laptops take on a daily basis compared to desktop.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Why not socketed CPUs on the gaming laptops? I want an extreme CPU in an extreme laptop! Same question goes to you, MSI!

On NotebookReview, I read that this is a deliberate move by Intel. MQ (removable) CPUs are now only provided for models that were originally designed around them. HQ (soldered) is forced on everything else. Look at MSI GT80 Titan. Both GPUs are removable. CPU? Soldered. I really do only see MQ chips in laptops that are just refreshes of laptops that originally came out with MQs (e.g. Lenovo W541 which is a refresh of W540). I am starting to believe this theory.

NBR enthusiasts also state that increasing and even holding stock Turbo on HQs is a pain compared to MQs and that they "don't obey" the increased TDP limit you set, but in my experience (Asus N550, i7-4700HQ) I cannot prove that particular claim, increased Turbo just fine (3.4 GHz for all cores) and it holds for a long time.

Better ask Asus why the G series are so much of a PITA to take apart. Half a year since I helped my friend clean his G750JX and already it needs cleaning again, can barely hit 3 GHz on multicore Turbo, and one needs to take apart EVERYTHING to just dust the fans... MSI laptops are just fine in this regard, somehow, take of bottom, good to go.

It might be because of all the movement that laptops undertake. a "non secured" CPU might get damaged by all the bumps and bruises that laptops take on a daily basis compared to desktop.

Nonsense, there are plenty of laptops with socketed CPUs and no movement will damage a properly seated and secured CPU.
----

Also ask Asus why they are still trying to push cheaper N and G series with TN 768p screens that no one really wants... and often refuses to ship good configs to some countries despite A LOT of people there interested in them.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Nice post. Yes you are right, even Alienware's new laptops don't have a soldered CPU so you can't put in an extreme CPU and overclock it very much (besides TDP limits I suppose), and they tried getting away with using a 180w AC adapter like MSI tried and use the battery to make up the difference.
The MSI GT80's soldered CPU is kind of glaring with that model since it is marketed towards upgradability (and mechanical KB).

Asus did make some laptops that were easy to work on, the G50VT, G51VX, G51J laptop chassis.

I also doubt that socketed CPUs are sensitive to drops, though Panasonic Toughbook fully rugged laptops looks like they use soldered CPUs for their i5/i7. Maybe for their core 2 duo laptops and pentium 3 too.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
What in the F is " Wednesday, March 25, 12:00 pm EST", this is the internet please use international time coding so the rest of the world can have some idea when you're on about. Your a damn tech website and you can even tell people the time... smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.