[SOLVED] Joining 2 cat5 cables at my wall backplate

Jul 20, 2019
Hello all,

I just moved to a new place and there is two wall plates where I can connect my modem. However the cat5 cable from my internet provider is connected to my first wall plate and the 2nd cable that goes to the 2nd wall plate was installed by the previous owner but is not connected to the first wall plate.

The first wall plate is only 8 ports. How do I connect two cat5 cables to a 8 ports wall plate (NORDX/CDT PX100412)?

Thank you for your help.

Solution
You don't. You have to have a powered device (router or switch) to create two ethernet ports. If one wall plate is your input from the ISP, then the other should be connected to the LAN port of your router to activate the other end.

kanewolf

Titan
You don't. You have to have a powered device (router or switch) to create two ethernet ports. If one wall plate is your input from the ISP, then the other should be connected to the LAN port of your router to activate the other end.

Solution
Jul 20, 2019
The two wall plates are for DSL cable...
He probably wanted to install the modem in the other room...
The previous owner connected one end of its cat5 in the 2nd room (only the 2 oranges wires) and the other end is loose in the wall behind my first wall plate where the ISP is connected.

The ISP connected only the orange wires so I have 6 unused ports.

kanewolf

Titan
The two wall plates are for DSL cable...
He probably wanted to install the modem in the other room...
The previous owner connected one end of its cat5 in the 2nd room (only the 2 oranges wires) and the other end is loose in the wall behind my first wall plate where the ISP is connected.

The ISP connected only the orange wires so I have 6 unused ports.
If it is a DSL circuit rather than an ethernet circuit, then what the ISP did is fine. DSL only requires two wires.