Joining Server On Same Home Network

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished
So i have a minecraft server. I ran it on my desktop for a while but i just moved the server to my laptop to run it 24/7. People are able to join the server with my public ip (i got a domain for it so i wouldn't be revealing my ip to everybody) but i cant join MY own server. Im trying to connect to the server with my desktop. I tried localhost, the Ipv4 address, putting :25565 at the end, and the public Ip and none of them work. Please help!

Solution
local IP + port number on the end should work.

You may need to add rule to your firewall on your desktop to allow you to connect.
You can always try disabling the firewall and if it works then you know that is the issue and just need to add a rule/allow lan traffic

Some ISPs/routers will block you from using the public IP to go back to yourself.

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

Ok so i tried connecting using my laptop's (where the server is running) local IP and i added the :25565 at the end and disabled windows firewall but it wont work :(

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

the error is java.netConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information:

Ok, that has nothing to do with networking (putting in the right address)

If you turned firewall off on both machines then a firewall rule wont help you
(assuming you only have one firewall running, some security software does not disable windows firewall so you could be running your security software's firewall AND windows).

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

I dont have any other security software running. Do you know what else may work?

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I have my own minecraft server and had to figure this issue out, first obviously make sure the server is running PROPERLY(make sure your not using all your ram or an invalid amount or not enough),then turn off windows firewall completely open CMD and type in ipconfig to find out your IP address and type it in. If you are connecting from a location that isnt directly hooked up with the router then you have to use your Public ip address to connect to it there are many sites for that

the server's command prompt is being run on my pc at my house using my router, my friend comes over and wants to play on my server with me using my router for internet, He would then have to connect using your local ip adress of your router Ex 10.0.0.2 while the server is open to join.

If your friend is at a seperate house using a different router than the one your pc that runs the server is hooked up to, then he must use your routers Public IP address

Okay, now if you still cannot connect then your router is probably A stupid xfinity router that was forced upon you by comcast:D:D:D:D:D :) now that little thing makes running a server HELL look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkJJ1_5GSWc then try the methods above again

If this works for you please give me best answer so people can see this to help them too! that took a while to type

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

I was able to get the server setup properly and port forward with my router. But for some reason I cant connect using the local ip. I try connecting but it doesnt work with my local ip. I have windows firewall off.

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Make sure you can join the server on your labtop too, What kind of server are you running (Bukkit Spigot etc...) I have alot of experience with bukkit

Did you set up you run.bat file correctly?

Sometimes certain amount of ram are invalid so make sure your using a valid amount

Make sure you typed your IP address where there is a space for it in your server folder/ text document, Could, type your local routers IP not the public one, then to connect to the server while on the same network of the server

Could you send me a screenshot of your server.properties TEXT document, Next to online mode make sure it says true, make sure max players isn't 0 double check to make sure your port is correct.

NEXT TO server-ip= put your IPv4 ADDRESS to connect use your ipv4 adress and be using the same version of minecraft that your server is, example 1.8 cant play with 1.7 vice versa, I hope this help i will check this when you respond again.

Making a minecraft server is frustrating but not impossible even on a low end pc you'll get it to work eventually

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

I figured it out. Some guy on the Minecraft Forums told me to us my laptops computer name instead of an IP and it worked.

assassin445522

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

please post the link to the minecraft forum thread here so others that have the answer to this question

Solution

twgamerbuilder

Distinguished

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/support/server-support/server-administration/1930594-bukkit-server-on-local-network