Question Joystick bricks computer, stops posting

Nov 24, 2019
Hi. this is my first post so i dont know if this is the right place to ask this but i urgently need help. My windows xp computer has stopped posting completely after i plugged in a joystick into the joystick port. when it turns on, everything sounds like its working (for example, the hard drive and the fans spin, and the lights turn on) but absolutely nothing outputs to my screen, and i get a "no signal" message. this is not the first time this has happened, as I plugged the same joystick into another computer and it produced the exact same results. i thought it was just the computer, but it appears the joystick is the problem. however, I have no idea how to fix this and it doesn't post even without the joystick plugged in. I would really like it if someone could tell me how to make my computer work again. there's no beep codes or anything I have no idea how to fix this and i cant find anything online

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

Update your post to include full system hardware specs.

Make and model joystick? Can you be more specific about the "joystick" port you used?

Did you install and configure any drivers for the joystick? If so, where did you get those drivers?

If the joystick fails on another computer then that is indeed a very good indication that the joystick is defective.

Doublecheck your computer's video connections. Try another known working video cable.

Try booting the computer into Safe Mode.

You may be dealing with two problems....