JP Morgan: Intel CPU Deficit Will Cut PC Sales Five to Seven Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.

cd000

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
"Hariharan's concern is that makers of high-end systems will have no choice but to weather the storm because they can't make the switch."

Why the hell not? Absolutely no reason not to switch to Ryzen.

They will when they realize this shortage is making them lose sales. The good old time when Intel could corrupt OEM to block products from the competition is over...

HP, Lenovo, Acer... they need to be serious with their offering. I would have bought one if the offering was interesting, but their models are plain simply bad.

Kaz_2_

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
love live AMD in cpu business, no more monopoly from Intel......we got a choice now! choice how we select our cpu....... support AMD forever regardless Intel forthcoming cpu!

Co BIY

Splendid
I doubt we'll see Intel drop prices to compete with AMD with this news.

The number crunchers in green eye-shades see more profit in ceding a bit of market share than in a price war.

This is not that competitive a market yet. Read a little on oligopoly market structure and Intel 's action jump out at you..

- excessive levels of differentiation in order to stifle competition (sooo many SKUs)
- acknowledged market leader which informally sets prices - Price leader
- Barriers to entry are high - economies of scale, patents, access to expensive and complex technology

I believe this is an open communication by Intel "No price war, we'll let you have market share this round and both make big profits."

Remember the Intel sales guys even being told to recommend Epyc products. Why was this leaked ? It probably isn't even a viable option to switch for many customers but the signal to AMD went out clear.

alextheblue

Distinguished

"Why not Zoidberg??"

I did pick up a $500 Lenovo with a 2500U (configured at 15W) and an SSD. It's not a bad little machine but it's got half it's RAM soldered... ughh… so it's dual channel 8GB but I won't be upgrading to 16GB. Which is fine since it's not going to be doing anything really heavy (that's what the desktop is for) but it does give the impression that these manufacturers aren't serious about Ryzen laptops yet. That aside, my impressions of the APU itself are very positive. It's quite competitive with similarly priced Intel solutions also bearing 15W chips.

OEMs should be kicking themselves right now for not supporting Ryzen more broadly with better models. There are a few exceptions, of course, but most of them are desktop models. Laptops are where most of the sales are going to be lost.

lxtbell2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2018
"The problem is expected to be particularly bad when it comes to "high-end consumer PCs, where using AMD or older Intel family of CPUs as substitutes are more difficult.""

What is wrong with 2950X?

Status
Not open for further replies.