[SOLVED] Judge my PSU choice!

Sep 11, 2019
I recently built my first computer, and a handful of people have told me my PSU isn't a great brand/model and is underpowered. From what I've researched, it appears they're right, and I'm thinking I should upgrade.

The unit is an EVGA BT 450 W 80+ Bronze ATX. Partpicker.com estimated the power draw as being 314 W max. I don't normally overclock (although I would like to as an option), and the PSU hasn't given any trouble so far (motherboard has a glitch, and am still waiting for RMA to come back).

Based on the components below, what would a reasonable wattage amount be, considering that I would like to have the option to occasionally overclock? Also, opinions on the model???

CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler
Deepcool GAMMAXX GT 29.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard
ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory
Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Memory
Patriot Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage
Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage
Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card
Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB GAMING Video Card
Case
Cooler Master MasterBox Q500L ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply
EVGA BT 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Case Fan
Deepcool RF 120 (3 in 1) 56.5 CFM 120 mm Fans

Part Picker Link:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gangel79/saved/#view=wCYhgs

Solution
It's not the size. 450w is plenty for that gpu, even with some cpu OC since that Ryzen isn't a high draw cpu.

The issue ppl are having is that it's a budget psu and to keep costs down in manufacturing, in order to maximize the profit margin, there's really not much to the psu. Minimal protective circuitry, cheapest caps, barely enough components inside to think about even coming close to rated wattage.

The only B series Evga that was halfway decent was the B2 750w/850w and I don't see many of those around, there are better choices.

What you've got is a lite duty, office OEM replacement. The worry is that that isn't up to snuff in a gaming pc, where power draws get instantly brutal, multiple times a second.

If you want to drive...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The wattage isn't actually a problem, the main problem is quality.

A good quality 450W would likely be fine.
A good quality 550W would be more than enough.

Based on current prices (in order of what I would choose):

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($90.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $90.89

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($90.67 @ Amazon)
Total: $90.67

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $76.88

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $64.99

CX is most budget friendly, not as good as the ones above it, but a solid PSU.
I would usually say something like a Corsair RMx too, but based on current prices only, the Seasonics are a better choice.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the size. 450w is plenty for that gpu, even with some cpu OC since that Ryzen isn't a high draw cpu.

The issue ppl are having is that it's a budget psu and to keep costs down in manufacturing, in order to maximize the profit margin, there's really not much to the psu. Minimal protective circuitry, cheapest caps, barely enough components inside to think about even coming close to rated wattage.

The only B series Evga that was halfway decent was the B2 750w/850w and I don't see many of those around, there are better choices.

What you've got is a lite duty, office OEM replacement. The worry is that that isn't up to snuff in a gaming pc, where power draws get instantly brutal, multiple times a second.

If you want to drive in a nail, you need a good, solid, steel hammer, not a rubber mallet. They might both be hammers, but the mallet isn't designed for the intended purpose and its going to shred.

You spent good money on a nice pc, it's a very decent setup, but it's entirely possible you'll have power issues sooner or later because of a lackluster psu.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
And not the second choice? The Antec....

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($90.67 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)

These would be my choices, not a big fan of the Evga G3, the G2 was considerably better.

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($81.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 550 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($105.98 @ Newegg)

These would be my choices, not a big fan of the Evga G3, the G2 was considerably better.
Agreed, especially on EVGA, just a G3 for $70 is still pretty good. Especially when it comes with a 10 year warranty.
I'd actually choose between the Seasonic Focus+ and Antec EWG as you've stated for the current prices.

Reactions: righteoustrash

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I take a somewhat different approach to prices, I'm looking at long term benefits and reliability. My psus run almost 24/7/365, and I'm looking at a $10 difference? For 7 or more years. That's insignificant. To me, all 4 of my choices are about the same price, even a $25 difference between the lowest and highest of the 4 is chump change, about $3.50 per year of use. That's 2x cups of coffee, or half a cup of Starbucks.

And the difference in efficiency over that long term will somewhat break even between the price differences and my electric bill.

Sep 11, 2019
Thanks to everybody who pitched in with advice. Funnily enough, I was eyeballing the Seasonic FOCUS Gold right before PC Tailor listed it as one of his suggestions. Lesson learned and I'll likely be going with that.

Reactions: DMAN999
D

Deleted member 14196

yeah, they were ALL good. i stand corrected, but I would probably buy the Seasonic

edit, and I don't want semi-modular. ick if i build a 3900x screamer, it's got to be fully modular psu. i don't like wire messes

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Well to be honest, semi and modular are about the same thing. The only wires not modular are the EPS and 20+4pin mains, ones you'd have to plug in anyways. But I do like the continuity of full modular, and it's removability is a bonus for a good cleaning without having to pull the mains.