Juggling large files on new build.

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I recently helped put together a new PC for my brother with the following basic components:

i5 3750k
ASRock z77 Extreme4
Samsung 840 250gb
windows 7 64 bit

Everything is up and running smoothly but he wants to transfer a large amount of music from his old 750gb caviar black (probably a few hundred gb). Ideally, we would like to get the files off the HDD, then format it, then transfer the files back on and use it as a secondary drive to the SSD. I have a couple of options and am trying to figure out the best route to take. Other than the 750gb drive in question, I own (not in use):

1. an old 500gb usb 2.0 external drive from WD.
2. a new(ish) 5400rpm 500gb laptop drive that I replaced with a vertex 4 right after purchase (a few months ago).

Could we do something like the following?

1. hook the 750gb drive into the new system as it stands now (with all of the music/old junk)
2. hook the laptop drive into the new system.
3. Transfer the music/needed files internally in windows to the laptop drive.
4. Format the old 750gb drive by booting from the windows 7 disk.
5. Transfer the files back to the clean 750gb drive
6. Disconnect the laptop drive.

Thank you for any information or other suggestions.

Solution
yes but in step 4 you dont need to boot from the win7 disk, just right clickthe drive after you are sure the copying completed successfully and select Format from the list.

6 should read : Power down and disconnect the laptop drive.

also I recommend Copying the files, not moving. If moving fails then you might corrupt the files while a failure in copying would likely only corrupt the destination file. Also when copying back to the 750 you would be left with a backup copy on the 500 without even having to do anything extra.

popatim

Titan
yes but in step 4 you dont need to boot from the win7 disk, just right clickthe drive after you are sure the copying completed successfully and select Format from the list.

6 should read : Power down and disconnect the laptop drive.

also I recommend Copying the files, not moving. If moving fails then you might corrupt the files while a failure in copying would likely only corrupt the destination file. Also when copying back to the 750 you would be left with a backup copy on the 500 without even having to do anything extra.

Solution

foolycooly

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

Great--we will proceed with this plan.

Thank you.