July 11, Last Day for Discounted Win 7 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I was very dissapointed in the lack of details about the upgrading procedure. For one thing, no-where on the pre-order site could I find what OS's you are allowed to upgrade from. I assume XP Home and Vista Home upgrade to Win 7 Home, and XP Pro and Vista Business upgrade to Win 7 Pro, but they never said anything definitive.

Also, will I need a CD key, official media, etc.. to actually perform the upgrade? I have an old XP Pro CD for my own computer, by my fiance's XP Home is an OEM version, and I don't have a Microsoft-branded CD.

Of course, since Win 7 copys everything, and what you can run is based on the product key you enter, maybe its doesn't matter, but it would have been nice to know in advance.

legierk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
You can do a clean install. I ordered mine from Newegg already. Check out Paul Thurrott's site to learn how to do the clean install. (He's 90% sure it will work like in Vista). Anyhow, $50 to get a licensed copy? I'm in...just wish I would have waited and got the 3 pack family upgrade....even better deal.

G

So only had it up for 2 weeks? Supplies? What about the family packs we have been hearing about? No family option for pre-order? So this is them TRYING to make people angry? I'm now full prepared to pirate Windows 7

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
This is a very tempting offer, windows 7 is one of microsoft's finest products to date and this price is very much within the realm of reason. While linux is my primary os of choice, I will consider this product for running games and other programs.

lukeiamyourfather

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
[citation][nom]legierk[/nom]You can do a clean install. I ordered mine from Newegg already. Check out Paul Thurrott's site to learn how to do the clean install. (He's 90% sure it will work like in Vista). Anyhow, $50 to get a licensed copy? I'm in...just wish I would have waited and got the 3 pack family upgrade....even better deal.[/citation]

You didn't really miss anything on the family pack if it goes the way some are saying. At $150-ish for a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade pack good for three machines that's $50 each. Only you didn't have to buy three to get the deal.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Teej[/nom]So only had it up for 2 weeks? Supplies? What about the family packs we have been hearing about? No family option for pre-order? So this is them TRYING to make people angry? I'm now full prepared to pirate Windows 7[/citation]
Actually this is Microsoft trying to be nice. For a limited time, they are offering preorders for a large discount. If this pisses you off, you are free to wait and pay the regular price at release.

G

Doesn't this just upgrade your windows 7 starter edition when you get it? Or will it upgrade my XP to 7??

G

I read recently that a person called Microsoft and asked about the upgrade with clean install. He said the MS told him that he would have to insert the CD/DVD in for it to work. So it is like the old 98 days.

It could be wrong but I believe it. Not sure about product keys only but as long as you have the CD of the original it should work in full, clean install and all.

One thing I am not sure about is what bit I will get? When I bought the upgrade, it did not let me choose between the two.

G

It's pretty crappy that MS have forgotten most of the southern hemisphere with their pre order policy.

Being an Aussie I'd quite happily pay 50 USD for an upgrade. Instead I am going to have to pay the exhoprbitant upgrade price of 200 AUD which I wont do.

I don't see how MS are serious about helping to reduce piracy in the AsiaPac region when they wont offer the pre order price globally!

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
I honestly don't see a point in upgrading if you already have vista. Vista is going to support DX11. Sure W7 is going to look awesome and perform faster but I don't see the point of wasting money. Rather buy more ram or fans to oc more. Just my opinion.
=]

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Then this could be your last chance to get your hands on an upgrade copy or Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate for less than half price.[/citation]

I believe that is supposed to be Professional instead of Ultimate.

G

Would have been nice to have this in Australia. Looks like I'll be sticking with Vista.

stratosrally

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
After I attempted to follow the reduced-price link at 12:45PM Central Time on July 11:

Looking for information about the Windows 7 Pre-Order Offer? The reduced-price offer has ended. But you can still be one of the first to get Windows 7. Just pre-order it from the Microsoft Store.

Nicely done, Microsoft! (sarcasm...) Could they have already run out of their "limited quantities"?

Actually I just went and its not giving the pre order prices anymore. I guess the last day was the 10th and then the 11th it was no more.

Kinda sucks since I wanted the upgrade but not sure if I will spend the $120 now.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Haha just barely got in. I was going to order off of Newegg, but I was 26 minutes after the price went up (very annoying). Then I realized that Amazon is on the West coast and that it still wasn't midnight over there. Hurried over - sure enough the price was still good - and promptly ordered.

Moral of the story: Procrastinating too far is a bad thing (notice the emphasis there :p), but if you do, remember to check the time zone.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OMG, why don't you fanboys stop humping Balmer's leg for just one second and actually look what's under the hood of Windows 7 .... drum roll ... oh it's Vista code base...

How many flavors of Windows 7 is there now, 8 ??

Get a Mac and be happy, my upgrade to Leopard Snow costs me $29 -- what's your Windows 7 upgrade gonna cost you??? Bend over and Mr. Balmer will tell you exactly how much.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]OMG, why don't you fanboys stop humping Balmer's leg for just one second and actually look what's under the hood of Windows 7 .... drum roll ... oh it's Vista code base...How many flavors of Windows 7 is there now, 8 ?? Get a Mac and be happy, my upgrade to Leopard Snow costs me $29 -- what's your Windows 7 upgrade gonna cost you??? Bend over and Mr. Balmer will tell you exactly how much.[/citation]
How much was your Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS