[SOLVED] Jump the Gun on Ryzen 5000 or Wait for Rocket Lake?

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Hi I finally saved up enough money for my new computer. I'm going all out with i7 Rocket Lake or Ryzen 5000 7 series. Any reason to wait for Rocket Lake? Totally don't mind waiting a little while if it pays off significantly. Definitely want PCI-E 4.0. Thanks!

Solution
I would wait and see.
Unverified benchmarks show i7-11700k to best 5950x in single thread performance.
That is what gamers need most:
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...50x-by-8-in-geekbench-5-single-core-benchmark

"Do not do today what you can put off for tomorrow for tomorrow you may regret your premature action"

On the pcie 4.0 question.
That capability is mostly marketing today.
Graphics cards today, get minimal performance boost going from pcie 2 to 3. Mostly from cards with low vram.
On the ssd side, demonstrations I have viewed showed negligible performance differences in game loading, for example.

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
To get better responses please let us know what your primary usage is. Such as gaming, productivity, etc.

If gaming, what kind of resolution and refresh rate are you looking to game on? If productivity, which apps do you plan on using?

Additionally, are you looking just for the primary components (CPU, RAM, Board, GPU, Storage, PSU) or peripherals as well?

Jul 14, 2020
If you've seen any articles written about rocket lake so far Ryzen 5000 is still faster. Honestly, don't buy parts now since everything is overpriced and by the time the market has become stable again Rocket Lake will probably be out and you will be able to find more detailed benchmarks comparing the 11700k (if thats what its called) and the 5800x (or 5700x if amd releases one in the upcoming future).

I would wait and see.
Unverified benchmarks show i7-11700k to best 5950x in single thread performance.
https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-c...50x-by-8-in-geekbench-5-single-core-benchmark

"Do not do today what you can put off for tomorrow for tomorrow you may regret your premature action"

On the pcie 4.0 question.
That capability is mostly marketing today.
Graphics cards today, get minimal performance boost going from pcie 2 to 3. Mostly from cards with low vram.
On the ssd side, demonstrations I have viewed showed negligible performance differences in game loading, for example.

Last edited:
Solution
Jul 14, 2020
I would wait and see.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that before. Maybe this will finally bring Intel back into consideration. If this is true, which is of course unconfirmed that would make Intel a solid contender, but if your not into gaming and instead editing or content creation I would still say Ryzen.

Crag_Hack

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2015
Thanks guys I'm enticed to wait and see what Rocket Lake has to offer.

@eszed556 I will be gaming as the most important usage of the computer as far as performance is concerned. I have a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 G-sync monitor that I plan to keep for the foreseeable future and would be happy playing games at 60-100 fps noncompetitively. I just like things noticeably smooth. As of now I am looking for the primary components but am not decided yet on getting the video card now or later (probably doesn't matter since I'd go with a 3070 or 3080 which from what I hear are impossible to get a hold of).

Thanks again.

Even if the next offering were faster, I suspect it would not be by much...

And, even if that assumption is incorrect (Intel is only claiming ~18-19% IPC gain, meaning perhaps lesser clock speeds could erase some overall gain), a very very fast CPU on Monday does not suddenly become 'barely adequate' if/when something 1-2% faster hits the streets.

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks guys I'm enticed to wait and see what Rocket Lake has to offer.

@eszed556 I will be gaming as the most important usage of the computer as far as performance is concerned. I have a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 G-sync monitor that I plan to keep for the foreseeable future and would be happy playing games at 60-100 fps noncompetitively. I just like things noticeably smooth. As of now I am looking for the primary components but am not decided yet on getting the video card now or later (probably doesn't matter since I'd go with a 3070 or 3080 which from what I hear are impossible to get a hold of).

Thanks again.

Thanks for the details. To do justice to your display, you'd need a 3080 or equivalent.

It all depends on the when really. Even if you have all the cash today, you'd struggle finding a 5600x or greater in stock. Same goes for the GPU.

If you are in a rush today, grab the 5600x (or greater) and the 3080 gtx (or greater) - IF you can find them in stock. You can't beat the technology curve - there will always be something bigger, stronger, faster or lighter around the corner.

Keep in mind this is the last of the AM4 platform which means if you opt for Ryzen 5xxx you will not be able to upgrade the platform with newer Ryzen CPUs.

Given the supply issues for Ryzen CPUs and any decent GPU, and that Intel 11th gen is around the corner, I would wait.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Keep in mind this is the last of the AM4 platform which means if you opt for Ryzen 5xxx you will not be able to upgrade the platform with newer Ryzen CPUs.

This is a fair point, but it is no different with Intel who, with the introduction of the next CPU, will be transitioning from their current socket, LGA 1200, to LGA 1700 when it introduces Alder Lake. I suppose that with Intel's difficulties to get away from the 14nm process you could theorize there will be another stop-gap CPU available for LGA 1200 before Alder Lake finally arrives - but then it will likely be an inconsequential update. To summarize, the current sockets from both Intel and AMD are at the end of the road.

Latest posts