Jumpdrive problem

Computer Gateway PIII 1000 mhz
Intel P09 Bios EA81510A (Fedora) Motherboard
383 mb ram

Problem:
I have a Lexar jumpdrive and I am running Windows XP on both my desktop and
Laptop. On my Laptop, which is a newer HP machine than my desktop, the
Jumpdrive shows on the list of drives in "My Computer" but on the Desktop it
does not.

Question:
What could be the problem? Is it because the Gateway has an older bios that
does not support that function or is there another reason for this?
--
Joan P. Quinn
http://home.earthlink.net/~j.quinn/index.html

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Do you have SP1 on both systems?
Is the jumpdrive backwardly compatible with USB 1.1?
Did you try it on all USB ports on the desktop?
Do other USB devices work in those ports?

"snoopy" <snoop-dog@my-doghouse.com> wrote in message
> Do you have SP1 on both systems?

Yes I do

> Is the jumpdrive backwardly compatible with USB 1.1?

Yes it is.

> Did you try it on all USB ports on the desktop?

I have two on the front and I have tried both of them. The ones on the back
are not practical for this item since I remove it on a daily basis.

> Do other USB devices work in those ports?

All devices work on these ports. I can even see this one if I go to
explorer and type in J: ( the assigned drive) I can access it that way.
However on my laptop it is listed with the CD & DVD as a removeable device.

Thanks for any help you can offer

> "Joan Quinn" <j.quinn@earthling.net> wrote in message
> > Computer Gateway PIII 1000 mhz
> > Intel P09 Bios EA81510A (Fedora) Motherboard
> > 383 mb ram
> >
> > Problem:
> > I have a Lexar jumpdrive and I am running Windows XP on both my desktop
> and
> > Laptop. On my Laptop, which is a newer HP machine than my desktop, the
> > Jumpdrive shows on the list of drives in "My Computer" but on the
Desktop
> it
> > does not.
> >
> > Question:
> > What could be the problem? Is it because the Gateway has an older bios
> that
> > does not support that function or is there another reason for this?
> > --
> > Joan P. Quinn
> > http://home.earthlink.net/~j.quinn/index.html
> > "Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a
> dose
> > of common sense." - Chapman Cohen

Snoopy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2001

Any settings in the BIOS that are USB related? Could you post them?

Just for laughs you might also want to test it in the USB ports in back in
case there are any cabling issues to those front ports.