[SOLVED] Jumping CPU temps

Dec 21, 2020
My new setup has a Ryzen 3700x. Everything works fine except the stock cpu fan (wraith prism) would go full speed every 30 seconds and it was annoying since it was loud. So I looked at the temps and these were the results. The temps would go from 52 deg and then jump to 63 deg and then the fan would go full speed. Idk why the cpu temps are jumping like this. My prediction is that the thermal paste was applied improperly.

Solution
Temp spikes are normal with Ryzen as it boosts very aggressively from 'idle'. Keep your fans from pulsing along with the spikes by making a custom fan profile that's a fixed, barely audible speed up to about 65 or 70C then start ramping up from there.

Also, do yourself a favor: the stock wraithe is 'barely good enough', but not really good enough. A much better than stock fan will help it not pull back on clocks as it works harder. It's almost like overclocking...only it's not, it's just the way it works.
Temp spikes are normal with Ryzen as it boosts very aggressively from 'idle'. Keep your fans from pulsing along with the spikes by making a custom fan profile that's a fixed, barely audible speed up to about 65 or 70C then start ramping up from there.

Also, do yourself a favor: the stock wraithe is 'barely good enough', but not really good enough. A much better than stock fan will help it not pull back on clocks as it works harder. It's almost like overclocking...only it's not, it's just the way it works.

Solution
This is pretty common for Ryzen CPUs, as they are constantly boosting up and clocking down with background tasks.

I would first set Ryzen balanced plan in windows power settings, and then if that does not fix the issue, I would set a custom fan curve in bios.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
My new setup has a Ryzen 3700x. Everything works fine except the stock cpu fan (wraith prism) would go full speed every 30 seconds and it was annoying since it was loud. So I looked at the temps and these were the results. The temps would go from 52 deg and then jump to 63 deg and then the fan would go full speed. Idk why the cpu temps are jumping like this. My prediction is that the thermal paste was applied improperly.

with Argus Monitor, you can tell fans to react to average temp in 10 seconds.

that's it : if temp stays up for 10 seconds, fan raises rpm. not instantly.

I can only echo what others have said.I ran a wraith prism on a 3600x and the constant ramping up and down was crazy, I could actually feel the vibrations through my desk! I finally got round to buying an after market cooler,(be quiet dark rock slim,) and now hear/feel nothing over my case fans.

@kurdtnz
I never buy stock cooler. There's an option to buy the cpu only.
Be careful about that as they may be a tray processor; CPU's sold to system builders in bulk who then retail out the parts they don't include in systems. The problem is AMD's warranty is only to the original buyer.

Unscrupulous merchants are counterfeiting boxes and putting tray processors in them to sell. You have to look at the part number laser etched on the heat spreader to be sure of what you're getting.

@drea.drechsler
yeah, I've seen processors sold like cookies:
here and here and here
To be sure, I don't see anything wrong with this except when misrepresented as a retail part since the processor is just as good. It's just that if anything does go wrong your only remedy is through the person you bought it from. In a couple years they're not likely to be found...or respond if they are. So just make sure there's a discount that makes the effective lack of warranty coverage worth it.

You'd likely be in the same situation if you'd bought a pre-built from someone like HP, Dell or Cyberpower. But they will be around and will help you out.

Last edited: