[SOLVED] jumpy gpu usage

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
So i got the maximum performance option in nvidia control panel but when playing games it only sometimes goes to 80-90% and it just goes all over the place like 1 second its 74% and another second its 14% then its 90% then 24% etc. Its annoying because everytime it goes from like 80% to 30% i get fps drops and lag and it goes like that all the time. So is it possible to make it so minimum usage is 40% or more?

Last edited:
Solution
While gaming would be better but I can tell you from now that it's almost certain thermal throttling. Your CPU gets too hot, so in order to cool down, it downclocks, worsening performance. Since it does not work fast enough for the GPU, you get those "hiccups"

Make sure that the air vents are clean, no obstructions on their way, find a coolling base etc...

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
List your full system specs please.

WINDOWS 10 64bit gaming laptop
CPU: i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz, TB 3.8GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GDDR5
SSHD

more info here (https://www.czc.cz/dell-inspiron-15-gaming-7567-cerna_4/205170/produkt ) (use google translate if you have chrome download this and click translate page if you dont use chrome use normal translator on google https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...aonfhkkikfgjllcleb?utm_source=chrome-ntp-icon )

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019
Check your CPU and GPU temps while gaming and Idle. Use MSI afterburner to see ingame and hwinfo running in the background so you can see the min and max.

GPU temps while doing stress test : min 60 max 74 all the time 73
CPU temps while doing stress test : min 57 max 84 all the time 70-80

While gaming would be better but I can tell you from now that it's almost certain thermal throttling. Your CPU gets too hot, so in order to cool down, it downclocks, worsening performance. Since it does not work fast enough for the GPU, you get those "hiccups"

Make sure that the air vents are clean, no obstructions on their way, find a coolling base etc...

Solution

a-guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2019

Well that does make alot of sense since theres so much dust that i barely feel air coming out im gonna ask dell to clean it since theres still warranty thanks for the help.