Jumpy Ms/Ping in online games (mainly MMO's)

Saulsberysteak

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
When playing the Secret World my ping stays at 280-300 and then suddenly jumps to anywhere from 500 to 1500 ms. Is this because of packet loss? Any help or advice would be appreciated. This also happened when i was playing Star Wars The Old Republic about 3 months ago and the same thing happened.

First if you are using wireless this is extremely common.

You need to test with a actual ping command the ingame thing many times is not a actual ping command it is affected by many other things.

What you want to do open a cmd window and leave a constant ping run to some common address like 8.8.8.8. When you game reports issues switch over and see if you see issues with the real ping command.

If you only see the issue in games it can be a lot of things that cause it. I have see people change their video settings and it has a impact on this number....even though it should not since the video does not run on the network.

You now need to go to the next steps.

You need to run ping to your router and ping to the first ISP router. Run a tracert to 8.8.8.8 and see what hop 2 ip address is. In most cases that is your ISP. If the problems are between you and your router it can be many things but a new ethernet cable is the cheapest and quickest test.

It you get no issue to your router but you see them to the ISP you can check the cabling in your house that goes to your modem/router but really all you can do is call the ISP. Only they have the equipment to test and see why you have a issue between your house and the ISP

Saulsberysteak

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I tried the tracert and the hop 2 Ip address was my ISP, and ive already called my ISP before and they were of no use. So the only thing left to do now is buy a new Ethernet cable and hope for the best.

TRENDING THREADS