Jury Delivers Judgement On Oculus Vs. ZeniMax Lawsuit, Awards ZeniMax $500 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many early adopter woes for me to consider investing in VR anyway. I'd pay maybe $400USD including controllers with a HUD that has the WIRELESS technology built into it as well (including battery so NO wires at all to use).

Need more software as well, but my main interest would be STAR CITIZEN which is shaping up nicely.

There's also stuff like immersive reality that requires external CAMERAS so I don't want to buy something NOW that is outdated or requires too many add-ons with wires wrapped around my head.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I thought Carmack was frustrated by ZeniMax' lack of commitment to VR. Isn't that why he jumped ship and went to Oculus?

I hope the damages get adjusted downward, because there's no way ZeniMax stood to make even 1/10th that much from VR. As a punitive judgment, it's a ridiculous amount for breach of NDA.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Okay, great. But what does this have to do with the story? It's not like VR is going away, now.

Actually the NDA was only a minor part of the verdict. Half the damages came from infringement on Zenimax copyrights and trademarks. Basically the worst thing Oculus did was use the names and logos of some id and Bethesda games without explicit permission (like how the Kickstarter campaign promised a copy of Doom 3 BFG at some tiers).

David Whapham

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014
"Too many early adopter woes for me to consider investing in VR anyway."

I wasn't sure myself but I really wanted to try it so I bought the Vive a few weeks ago with the intention of returning it if it sucked. I was actually blown away at how good VR actually is, even in it's young state. I'm not sure what early adoptor woes you are referring to. There is plenty of content, and it works very well. My only grip is that the cables can get bit annoying, especially in a larger space like I have mine setup in. I will be investing in the wireless adapter once it is release later this year.

st_ranger

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

You know what happened to Pebble Watch? The company is no more, and if you bought that watch then you'd have to deal loose ends left in the product (things that don't quite work).

problematiq

Reputable
Dec 8, 2015

Welcome to the club my friend.

Jan_26

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Come on folks, these devices are 20 years late. First came VFX-1 helmet, I still remember playing System Shock on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.