Question Just a dongle idea...Can I.....

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
...use 2 dongles to transmit data from my pc to my wired printer? I simply don't have the space to keep my printer near my computer and so I want to move it across the room. The dongles would have to be programmable and that means that software would have to be involved somehow. Is this a reasonable idea or is there some other way?

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
The printer is a Canon mp210, data transmitted via usb . It's at least 8 years old but the box remained unopened until a couple of weeks ago. But really, the make of the printer is not significant. I was just wondering if this idea was even feasible. I was envisioning a dongle for the printer and one for the pc, thus letting me put the printer wherever I wanted. I can see this idea applied to all sorts of data transfer situations. Actually, my first thought about this was a dongle but maybe retrofitting the printer for bluetooth would be a better idea. Is that possible?

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
With that printer, you can get a wireless print server lie this -- https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Wireless-Network-Server-Ethernet/dp/B00M77UME8 That would allow you to print. But it wouldn't support the scanner function.

If you want wireless scanning and printing, I think you will have to get a newer device that has WIFI built-in.

Thanks for this response. It goes in the direction I was looking for...sort of. I wish I had not even mentioned the printer. It was meant to be just an example of the idea. But the other responders, helpful as they were trying to be, became fixated on the make and model of the printer. Perhaps I could have worded things a bit differently. So let me rephrase.

Everyone's computer is a mass of wires hanging out the back. There are only two kinds of cables: power and data. We may never eliminate the power cables but it seems that data is fair game for all sorts of things. So I wonder how to eliminate them, even for older wired devices. That's where the dongle, wi-fi and bluetooth come in. For example, I have 4 external usb ports, attached by a cable to the pc. If the data wire could be elimintated I could take it to another room, using the ports for, say, a charging station for other devices. As it is now we are confined to keeping many of our devices near the computer tethered by the cables that came with them! I might even be able to control my TV or monitor this way. I see all sorts of possibilities but am not savvy enough to know how to get there!

I hope I have clarified things a bit and I thank you for your help.

kanewolf

Titan
If you don't have a SPECIFIC printer in mind, you buy one that is network enabled. Most new printers are. They are just on your network, just like a tablet or laptop. Any computer on your network can get to that printer or printer/scanner. No "dongles" required. You use the power of whatever network you access the internet to access local resources.

The reason everyone has asked about a model, is the way you phrased your original post. It is phrased to ask, "For my existing device, how can I access it without a cable?" The answer to THAT question is very model specific.

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
If you don't have a SPECIFIC printer in mind, you buy one that is network enabled. Most new printers are. They are just on your network, just like a tablet or laptop. Any computer on your network can get to that printer or printer/scanner. No "dongles" required. You use the power of whatever network you access the internet to access local resources.

The reason everyone has asked about a model, is the way you phrased your original post. It is phrased to ask, "For my existing device, how can I access it without a cable?" The answer to THAT question is very model specific.

As I said, I could have worded thigs differently. My apologies to all!

Well Sir, the more specific the question, the more precise the answer, applying directly to the issue at end.

So there is no printer then, this is like a theoretical question how to rid of the jumble of wires?

In general, to get rid of computer wirings, u can go BT (short distance, low speed, one to one), or WIFI (longer distance, faster, many to many).

U can buy most modern peripherals with built-in BT/WIFI, or if not can always retro-fit them with some sort of adapter, like the printer server above.

Wires for desktop no big deal, 'cuz that thing is fixed in place.

Wires for laptop, they used to be docking stations, but these days u can reduce the wires bungle with a single USB/Thunderbolt hub.

Home automation stuff these days are WIFI enabled, so as long as the vendor give you a PC driver, you are good to go.

Last edited:

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
No, a printer IS involved but it's not the only device.
Yes, it IS theoretical but wondering if the technology even exists.
No, it is NOT just about removing wires.
Yes, it IS about moving my devices wherever I want them.
NO, a docking station is not the answer, NOR is a 30 ft. cable strung across my wooden floor, nor is buying a new wireless model when the printer I have works perfectly well, NOR is it https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Wireless-Network-Server-Ethernet /dp/B00M77UME8 .
Yes, I am perfectly aware that most devices today connect wirelessly.

I restore historic antique furniture. I have to be very precise in my materials and techniques. But often I have to be creative to get the job done properly. I even like to work on my own out-of-date car! I feel the same way about technology. Keep finding new ways to get the job done! Today, I have apologized enough, been scolded enough, and clarified enough. But special thanks to SGTScream for his one word anwer!

nor is buying a new wireless model when the printer I have works perfectly well, NOR is it
What if a new printer with WIFI is cheaper than u try to refit your old?

I dare say most of us geeks here are left brained people who solve practical problems with what is available at the proper cost.

You sound like someone solving a problem is not enough, if needs to fit according to your zen.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Thanks for this response. It goes in the direction I was looking for...sort of. I wish I had not even mentioned the printer. It was meant to be just an example of the idea. But the other responders, helpful as they were trying to be, became fixated on the make and model of the printer. Perhaps I could have worded things a bit differently. So let me rephrase.

Everyone's computer is a mass of wires hanging out the back. There are only two kinds of cables: power and data. We may never eliminate the power cables but it seems that data is fair game for all sorts of things. So I wonder how to eliminate them, even for older wired devices. That's where the dongle, wi-fi and bluetooth come in. For example, I have 4 external usb ports, attached by a cable to the pc. If the data wire could be elimintated I could take it to another room, using the ports for, say, a charging station for other devices. As it is now we are confined to keeping many of our devices near the computer tethered by the cables that came with them! I might even be able to control my TV or monitor this way. I see all sorts of possibilities but am not savvy enough to know how to get there!

I hope I have clarified things a bit and I thank you for your help.

There is no generic wireless adapter for all devices. Any adapter made for computers will have drivers that would need to be loaded. Any adapters made for a device to work with would need that device to be able to detect and configure that wireless adapter, which means a device specific to the model of whatever thing you are trying to worth with. The wireless print server boxes that work with USB connections do that for printers, they are programmed to speak the basic printer language that all printers pretty much understand, and they talk to them through the USB connection. There are TVs without onboard WiFi that will work with a dongle, but that dongle was made by the TV maker for that TV model as a specific add on. But you can't take a TV WiFi dongle and try to stick it on a printer, nor can you use a wireless print server box on a TV, or on your kids bike, or on your speakers, or on your hottub, etc..

Almost any device you can think of has a wireless version, my washer has an adapter I can buy to make it wireless so I can get alerts about the wash cycle status for gods sake LOL, but there is no generic wireless thing you can plug into anything to make it wireless.

Last edited:
No, a printer IS involved but it's not the only device.
Yes, it IS theoretical but wondering if the technology even exists.
No, it is NOT just about removing wires.
Yes, it IS about moving my devices wherever I want them.
NO, a docking station is not the answer, NOR is a 30 ft. cable strung across my wooden floor, nor is buying a new wireless model when the printer I have works perfectly well, NOR is it https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Wireless-Network-Server-Ethernet /dp/B00M77UME8 .
Yes, I am perfectly aware that most devices today connect wirelessly.

I restore historic antique furniture. I have to be very precise in my materials and techniques. But often I have to be creative to get the job done properly. I even like to work on my own out-of-date car! I feel the same way about technology. Keep finding new ways to get the job done! Today, I have apologized enough, been scolded enough, and clarified enough. But special thanks to SGTScream for his one word anwer!

If your printer did not come with wireless tech built in, then one of those has to be an answer. USB to wireless print server IS the answer for your USB only printer. A lot of things you can learn from Kung Fu Panda, one of them is that if you plant a peach, you will get a peach tree not matter how much you want something else from it. If you want a USB printer to be wireless you need a USB to wireless adapter on it.

You don't want wires, there are wireless keyboards, they even make wireless video adapters even though those don't work too well, there is WiFi connections to networking. Speakers can also work with bluetooth. Really the only wire you need is the power cable. Not really sure what you are looking for here as far as technology existing, what exactly do you see happening here? Let's say you have a $4,000 pair of speakers you got 20 years ago on a nice amp and you want them on your computer now, what do you see happening there without an adapter? You want them moved where you want them without wires, but how? Tech is not Harry Potter wand waving where you go "wireless connectius" and bam they work, you need a way to connect them so one side can talk to the computer without wires the other can talk to the device. Which means some sort of adapter to the wires and amp, or a new speaker with bluetooth. If dongles, adapters are not the answer, what can possibly be the answer?

Technology is not wood, with wood you can stick a maple table leg on a mahogany table, stick some stain on it and it will hold up the table. Technology does not work that way, if your computer breaks, you can't just take a part from your phone and glue it to the same spot and expect it to work.

Last edited:

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
If your printer did not come with wireless tech built in, then one of those has to be an answer. USB to wireless print server IS the answer for your USB only printer. A lot of things you can learn from Kung Fu Panda, one of them is that if you plant a peach, you will get a peach tree not matter how much you want something else from it. If you want a USB printer to be wireless you need a USB to wireless adapter on it.

You don't want wires, there are wireless keyboards, they even make wireless video adapters even though those don't work too well, there is WiFi connections to networking. Speakers can also work with bluetooth. Really the only wire you need is the power cable. Not really sure what you are looking for here as far as technology existing, what exactly do you see happening here? Let's say you have a $4,000 pair of speakers you got 20 years ago on a nice amp and you want them on your computer now, what do you see happening there without an adapter? You want them moved where you want them without wires, but how? Tech is not Harry Potter wand waving where you go "wireless connectius" and bam they work, you need a way to connect them so one side can talk to the computer without wires the other can talk to the device. Which means some sort of adapter to the wires and amp, or a new speaker with bluetooth. If dongles, adapters are not the answer, what can possibly be the answer?

Technology is not wood, with wood you can stick a maple table leg on a mahogany table, stick some stain on it and it will hold up the table. Technology does not work that way, if your computer breaks, you can't just take a part from your phone and glue it to the same spot and expect it to work.

As a furniture conservator I can, and have, made one wood look like another:) Nevertheless, your points are well taken. I actually have stereo bluetooth speakers in my shop so I can listen to music, etc. with my phone. I am typing this on a wireless keyboard. I read books on a wireless
Kindle.

So I understand the concept of wireless but I'm a little light on the reality of it. It's just not my field. Before I came to the experts here on the forum, I spent a good amount of time searching for solutions. Rarely did I find an answer or even a lead. I've tried awarding a Best Answer Trophy to SgtScream because his answer was the most direct and narrows my focus. All it said was "dongle".

Apparently the technology for this does not now exist but I'll bet one day it will!

USAFRet

Titan
Apparently the technology for this does not now exist but I'll bet one day it will!
It already does. WiFi and/or ethenet, built right into the printer.

The printer talks directly to the main hub in the house, the same router that all the other devices talk to anyway.
I have 6 PC's and laptops, all talking to the same printer, through the router.

No need for 6 'dongles'.

As a furniture conservator I can, and have, made one wood look like another:) Nevertheless, your points are well taken. I actually have stereo bluetooth speakers in my shop so I can listen to music, etc. with my phone. I am typing this on a wireless keyboard. I read books on a wireless
Kindle.

So I understand the concept of wireless but I'm a little light on the reality of it. It's just not my field. Before I came to the experts here on the forum, I spent a good amount of time searching for solutions. Rarely did I find an answer or even a lead. I've tried awarding a Best Answer Trophy to SgtScream because his answer was the most direct and narrows my focus. All it said was "dongle".

It does exist, and was linked in the first reply once you posted what model printer you had. That is what you need to make a USB printer wireless. I think we are just all confused what you are looking for that does not exist since we can make almost anything wireless now with adapters. All you need to do is a web search for "how to make USB printer wireless" and you will find a hundred links.

What you seem to be looking for from reading the posts is some sort of stick-on patch that will make anything wireless. That is likely to never be made if you check back in the year 2,500. They will just make things wireless when they are made. If you want a wireless printer, get a device for the printer. You want wireless speakers, you can get a bluetooth adapter, etc... You can't find what you are looking for because there is no way to make a universal adapter of a reasonable size and cost for every device. People don't want to spend $100 on a box several feet across with functions they don't need, they want a $10 or $20 small adapter for a specific purpose. Imagine buying a saw, hammer, planer, drill in one device. It will be interesting to use.

Last edited:

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Salute USAFRet. NAVYRet myself.
I understant what you're saying. But I've decided to sell both of my printers then just buy a new one. Once I've taken some time to clarify this more precisely I'll be back, but now I'm off to do other things.

Last edited:

LeeRex

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
It does exist, and was linked in the first reply once you posted what model printer you had. That is what you need to make a USB printer wireless. I think we are just all confused what you are looking for that does not exist since we can make almost anything wireless now with adapters. All you need to do is a web search for "how to make USB printer wireless" and you will find a hundred links.

What you seem to be looking for from reading the posts is some sort of stick-on patch that will make anything wireless. That is likely to never be made if you check back in the year 2,500. They will just make things wireless when they are made. If you want a wireless printer, get a device for the printer. You want wireless speakers, you can get a bluetooth adapter, etc... You can't find what you are looking for because there is no way to make a universal adapter of a reasonable size and cost for every device. People don't want to spend $100 on a box several feet across with functions they don't need, they want a $10 or $20 small adapter for a specific purpose. Imagine buying a saw, hammer, planer, drill in one device. It will be interesting to use.

Think retrofit! Is it feasible? I think it is and not too far away. Why do we think that bluetooth, or dongles, or wi-fi are the only way. And what about the people who are stuck with yesterday's technology? People who simply can't afford all those things you seem to think they can just go out and buy?

I was astonished when I first saw a wireless keyboard. I never imagined such a thing. But now I can take my tiny usb and keyboard to any computer and it will work And here we are, just a few years later with wi-fi, and bluetooth and God knows what else is coming.

"People don't want to spend $100 on a box several feet across with functions they don't need, they want a $10 or $20 small adapter for a specific purpose."

But I have a box like that right next to me. My printer, with lots of functions I don't need. What I want is the "$10 or $20 small adapter" so I can move it across the room!

It has been enjoyable, though frustrating at times, to speak with all of you. But I have to press on with other things now. so I am abandoning all further replies.