Discussion Just a few highlights from my Dying Light playthrough

Have you played the second part yet, DYING LIGHT 2: Stay Human ? I want to grab this one, but I heard this time we don't have weapons/firearms to kill those zombies. Instead the game focuses more on melee combat. The game is mostly melee-based with the majority of fighting using melee weapons.

Though, according to wiki, Long-range weapons such as crossbows, shotguns, and spears can also be used as well. These might be hard to find though.

Last edited:
From
Have you played the second part yet, DYING LIGHT 2: Stay Human ? I want to grab this one, but I heard this time we don't have weapons/firearms to kill those zombies. Instead the game focuses more on melee combat. The game is mostly melee-based with the majority of fighting using melee weapons.

Though, according to wiki, Long-range weapons such as crossbows, shotguns, and spears can also be used as well. These might be hard to find though.
From what I've read there's no ballistic firearms per se, but there are multiple types of bows, and a decent crossbow. There's also throwing knives and a spear you can throw. As far as I know they did away with pistols, assault rifles, and shotguns, though I never found or used the shotgun my last playthrough of The Following.

My main issue with Dying Light 2, and something I was worried about ever since they said it would be a game that changes with your decisions, is many have said missions can feel empty depending what decisions you made. So I'm basically waiting for a bargain bin price.

Last edited:
I'm okay with Bows, or any crossbow type as well, but sadly no ballistic firearms, so I'm holding off my temptation to try this game. Don't know how the missions are this time though. I think Dying Light 1 is still much better than this sequel, imo.
I only used the assault rifle in Dying Light 1 of all the firearms there were, and only against humans that carried them. They can also help remove helmets of Demolishers, but in cases where it brings volatiles, I opted for the crossbow. I never bothered trying to find silenced weapons though, which there are some but a bit rare.

If we're talking loud firearms though, they're not that helpful except in cases where several enemies are firing at you with assault rifles, especially since they bring volatiles that can climb. Even in Dying Light 1 though, the majority of enemies you kill are zombies, not humans.

Firearms also run out of ammo, and even in Dying Light 1, that meant you had to either fight more humans carrying them and hope there's enough ammo in their guns to fully load up, or find the few places that have boxes of it, which is usually only during certain missions where you need it due to aforementioned gun carrying enemies.

Even in Dying Light 1 though, the majority of enemies you kill are zombies, not humans.

Yeah, most of the enemies are Zombies. Very few human enemies so any loud firearm would indeed attract the zombies. Like the first game, the zombies are slow when exposed to sunlight, but they become more aggressive and hostile at night. I wish some silenced weapon attachment weapon there.

Even in Dying Light 2 most of the enemies are zombies. I think there is no human threat, imo. The PARKOUR mechanics/skills in DY 2 has been improved a lot though.

Yeah, most of the enemies are Zombies. Very few human enemies so any loud firearm would indeed attract the zombies. Like the first game, the zombies are slow when exposed to sunlight, but they become more aggressive and hostile at night. I wish some silenced weapon attachment weapon there.

Even in Dying Light 2 most of the enemies are zombies. I think there is no human threat, imo. The PARKOUR mechanics/skills in DY 2 has been improved a lot though.
Like I said, some have said there's silenced weapons somewhere in the first game, but I've never felt the need to look for or use them. Not many humans in the first game carry assault rifles. Usually when you encounter them they are dealing with screaming climber volatiles once they start shooting. So I just get up high and often just take them out one at a time with headshots using the bow or crossbow.

Not all zombies in the first game are slow. The screaming ones that are very sensitive to gunfire and explosions always come in at least groups of 3 when they're alerted, and they're pretty fast. They're the only ones I usually worried about in Dying Light 1. The most common scenario I had to deal with, since I used mostly quiet weapons, was those damn exploders that came running anytime I'd scavenge.

My usual way of dealing with the fast ones was to get on top of a van as soon as I heard them scream, and kick them in the head as they climbed up, which kills them instantly if you have the Stomp skill. It can be a bit tricky keeping track of which direction the next one will climb up though, especially since the game has an idiotic tendency to swing your view around a bit after each stomp, and I can't think of any good reason it does that.

Last edited: