Just a few (stupid) questions

Well, progress on my game is moving forward pretty well. For those who
don't know, it's a short little horror RL, taking place in a replica of
the hotel that I live and work in.

Anyways, I'm no artist, so I figure, to really build up atmosphere, I
need to have good sound. So far, so good. I have some creepy effects,
which hit when something is happening, and sometimes just randomly, to
keep the player on their toes.

Anyway, a couple quick questions.

Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
that is public domain, or free to use?

Also, I have a really stupid question. I'll try to explain it as best I
can, although I have a feeling that I'll leave everyone confused. In a
large number of movies, and games, I've noticed one very popular and
consistantly recurring "scream" sound effect, that somehow managaes to
sneak it's way into a lot of things. It's definitely a man's scream,
and it lasts for a few seconds, and kind of fades off at the end. Like
I said, I've noticed the same identical scream show up in dozens of
movies (can't think of any examples off the top of my head). My gut
instinct is that it some sort of Hollywood "in-joke", to keep using it.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about? More importantly, does
anyone have a link to the sound bite?

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help. I'm really eager to see this
game reach a finished and playable state, since it'll mark my first
release of a game.

Timothy Pruett wrote:

> Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
> atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
> that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
> that is public domain, or free to use?

Does your engine allow for layering of sounds? If so, you could do some
neat things with a "responsive soundtrack". For example, if a monster
enters the LOS of the PC, a tension-building track could be triggered.
If the PC is also without a weapon, a subtle "heart-pounding" track
could be layered upon the previous sound.

This would likely seem gimmicky in a "normal" RL, but I think it would
fit something horror-themed quite well.

Also, if you're still in need of help with sounds/music, let me know. I
can make something based on ideas, or just put something together
myself. It would have to be MP3 or WAV, though.

Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Well, progress on my game is moving forward pretty well. For those who
> don't know, it's a short little horror RL, taking place in a replica of
> the hotel that I live and work in.
>
> Anyways, I'm no artist, so I figure, to really build up atmosphere, I
> need to have good sound. So far, so good. I have some creepy effects,
> which hit when something is happening, and sometimes just randomly, to
> keep the player on their toes.
>
> Anyway, a couple quick questions.
>
> Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
> atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
> that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
> that is public domain, or free to use?
>
> Also, I have a really stupid question. I'll try to explain it as best I
> can, although I have a feeling that I'll leave everyone confused. In a
> large number of movies, and games, I've noticed one very popular and
> consistantly recurring "scream" sound effect, that somehow managaes to
> sneak it's way into a lot of things. It's definitely a man's scream,
> and it lasts for a few seconds, and kind of fades off at the end. Like
> I said, I've noticed the same identical scream show up in dozens of
> movies (can't think of any examples off the top of my head). My gut
> instinct is that it some sort of Hollywood "in-joke", to keep using it.
> Does anyone know what I'm talking about? More importantly, does anyone
> have a link to the sound bite?
>
> Anyways, thanks in advance for any help. I'm really eager to see this
> game reach a finished and playable state, since it'll mark my first
> release of a game.

Oh, and just to mention, the scream sound effect I'm looking for is
*not* the Wilhelm scream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream).

Auric__ wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:12:51 -0500, Timothy Pruett wrote:
>

>>Well, progress on my game is moving forward pretty well. For those who
>>don't know, it's a short little horror RL, taking place in a replica of
>>the hotel that I live and work in.
>

> w00t! Waiting on a release.
>

>>Anyways, I'm no artist, so I figure, to really build up atmosphere, I
>>need to have good sound. So far, so good. I have some creepy effects,
>>which hit when something is happening, and sometimes just randomly, to
>>keep the player on their toes.
>>
>>Anyway, a couple quick questions.
>>
>>Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
>>atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
>>that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
>>that is public domain, or free to use?
>

> I have one song that you're free to use. I didn't really mean it to be
> creepy, but if you want it, let me know. (It's a midi, but I can put it
> into a different format - wav, mp3, ogg, several others.)

I'd definitely be interested. Is it small enough to send via email? If
so, send it on down my way. :)

>>Also, I have a really stupid question. I'll try to explain it as best I
>>can, although I have a feeling that I'll leave everyone confused. In a
>>large number of movies, and games, I've noticed one very popular and
>>consistantly recurring "scream" sound effect, that somehow managaes to
>>sneak it's way into a lot of things. It's definitely a man's scream,
>>and it lasts for a few seconds, and kind of fades off at the end. Like
>>I said, I've noticed the same identical scream show up in dozens of
>>movies (can't think of any examples off the top of my head). My gut
>>instinct is that it some sort of Hollywood "in-joke", to keep using it.
>> Does anyone know what I'm talking about? More importantly, does
>>anyone have a link to the sound bite?
>

> Give a few specific examples of what shows it's been in, and when to
> listen for it.

It's been a while, so I could be mistaken, but I think it showed up in
"The Princess Bride", while Wesley was put on The Machine, and it got
cranked up to full.

I'm racking my brain to try and think of where else I've heard it, but
too much research has clouded my memory. I've been searching everywhere
for mention of it, but all I can find online is information about the
much more well known Wilhelm scream. Now, whenever I try and remember
the scream I'm looking for, all I can think of is that damnable Wilhelm
nonsense. Argh! But, like I said above, I *think* that "The Princess
Bride" had it, but I don't have a copy, so I can't check it.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:27:37 -0500, Timothy Pruett wrote:

>Auric__ wrote:
>> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 20:12:51 -0500, Timothy Pruett wrote:
>>

>>>Well, progress on my game is moving forward pretty well. For those who
>>>don't know, it's a short little horror RL, taking place in a replica of
>>>the hotel that I live and work in.
>>

>> w00t! Waiting on a release.
>>

>>>Anyways, I'm no artist, so I figure, to really build up atmosphere, I
>>>need to have good sound. So far, so good. I have some creepy effects,
>>>which hit when something is happening, and sometimes just randomly, to
>>>keep the player on their toes.
>>>
>>>Anyway, a couple quick questions.
>>>
>>>Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
>>>atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
>>>that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
>>>that is public domain, or free to use?
>>

>> I have one song that you're free to use. I didn't really mean it to be
>> creepy, but if you want it, let me know. (It's a midi, but I can put it
>> into a different format - wav, mp3, ogg, several others.)
>
>I'd definitely be interested. Is it small enough to send via email? If
>so, send it on down my way. :)

Sent.

>>>Also, I have a really stupid question. I'll try to explain it as best I
>>>can, although I have a feeling that I'll leave everyone confused. In a
>>>large number of movies, and games, I've noticed one very popular and
>>>consistantly recurring "scream" sound effect, that somehow managaes to
>>>sneak it's way into a lot of things. It's definitely a man's scream,
>>>and it lasts for a few seconds, and kind of fades off at the end. Like
>>>I said, I've noticed the same identical scream show up in dozens of
>>>movies (can't think of any examples off the top of my head). My gut
>>>instinct is that it some sort of Hollywood "in-joke", to keep using it.
>>> Does anyone know what I'm talking about? More importantly, does
>>>anyone have a link to the sound bite?
>>

>> Give a few specific examples of what shows it's been in, and when to
>> listen for it.
>
>It's been a while, so I could be mistaken, but I think it showed up in
>"The Princess Bride", while Wesley was put on The Machine, and it got
>cranked up to full.
>
>I'm racking my brain to try and think of where else I've heard it, but
>too much research has clouded my memory. I've been searching everywhere
>for mention of it, but all I can find online is information about the
>much more well known Wilhelm scream. Now, whenever I try and remember
>the scream I'm looking for, all I can think of is that damnable Wilhelm
>nonsense. Argh! But, like I said above, I *think* that "The Princess
>Bride" had it, but I don't have a copy, so I can't check it.

Me neither, and I haven't seen that movie in a while...
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****

Jason Allen wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
>

>>Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
>>atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
>>that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
>>that is public domain, or free to use?
>

> Does your engine allow for layering of sounds? If so, you could do some
> neat things with a "responsive soundtrack". For example, if a monster
> enters the LOS of the PC, a tension-building track could be triggered.
> If the PC is also without a weapon, a subtle "heart-pounding" track
> could be layered upon the previous sound.

That should be pretty easy to pull off. I'm using SDL and SDL_mixer,
and it handles layering pretty well. The tricky part is, that it
creates a seperate channel for music, and that particular channel is
isolated from the other sound code, so I'd have to implement the
"responsive soundtrack" using standard sound code. Not too difficult,
although a bit more work to pull off.

> This would likely seem gimmicky in a "normal" RL, but I think it would
> fit something horror-themed quite well.

I agree.

> Also, if you're still in need of help with sounds/music, let me know. I
> can make something based on ideas, or just put something together
> myself. It would have to be MP3 or WAV, though.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. To really get the right level of
creepiness and atmosphere, I need a large variety of sound effects,
since hearing the same duplicate sounds over and over again breaks the
player's suspension of disbelief.

Any good general purpose creepy sound effects (creaks, groans, moans,
knocks, etc.), screams, whatever you can think up. Some more heartbeat
sound effects, of varying rythm would be nice, since I only have one
fast beat and one slow beat. Also, I'm trying to find various odd,
wierd sound effects. Nothing in particular, just sounds that confuse
the player, without coming off as "hokey".

Auric__ wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:27:37 -0500, Timothy Pruett wrote:
>

>>Auric__ wrote:

>>>w00t! Waiting on a release.

>>>I have one song that you're free to use. I didn't really mean it to be
>>>creepy, but if you want it, let me know. (It's a midi, but I can put it
>>>into a different format - wav, mp3, ogg, several others.)
>>
>>I'd definitely be interested. Is it small enough to send via email? If
>>so, send it on down my way. :)
>

> Sent.

I just listened to it. Awesome! Made me think of Resident Evil, for
some reason. I'd like to hear some of your other stuff, even if it
isn't suited for horror.

>>>Give a few specific examples of what shows it's been in, and when to
>>>listen for it.
>>
>>It's been a while, so I could be mistaken, but I think it showed up in
>>"The Princess Bride", while Wesley was put on The Machine, and it got
>>cranked up to full.
>>
>>I'm racking my brain to try and think of where else I've heard it, but
>>too much research has clouded my memory. I've been searching everywhere
>>for mention of it, but all I can find online is information about the
>>much more well known Wilhelm scream. Now, whenever I try and remember
>>the scream I'm looking for, all I can think of is that damnable Wilhelm
>>nonsense. Argh! But, like I said above, I *think* that "The Princess
>>Bride" had it, but I don't have a copy, so I can't check it.
>

> Me neither, and I haven't seen that movie in a while...

I really need to get a copy, because that was a great movie.

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 23:57:12 -0500, Timothy Pruett wrote:

>Auric__ wrote:

>>>I'd definitely be interested. Is it small enough to send via email? If
>>>so, send it on down my way. :)
>>

>> Sent.
>
>I just listened to it. Awesome! Made me think of Resident Evil, for
>some reason. I'd like to hear some of your other stuff, even if it
>isn't suited for horror.

It was meant to be a sort of "bad things happening" theme.

I've sent you a few others. Read the email, please.

>>>It's been a while, so I could be mistaken, but I think it showed up in
>>>"The Princess Bride", while Wesley was put on The Machine, and it got
>>>cranked up to full.
>>>
>>>I'm racking my brain to try and think of where else I've heard it, but
>>>too much research has clouded my memory. I've been searching everywhere
>>>for mention of it, but all I can find online is information about the
>>>much more well known Wilhelm scream. Now, whenever I try and remember
>>>the scream I'm looking for, all I can think of is that damnable Wilhelm
>>>nonsense. Argh! But, like I said above, I *think* that "The Princess
>>>Bride" had it, but I don't have a copy, so I can't check it.
>>

>> Me neither, and I haven't seen that movie in a while...
>
>I really need to get a copy, because that was a great movie.

No doubt.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
Profanity is the one language all programmers know best.

Timothy Pruett <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> writes:

> Firstly, I'm unsure whether or not to use music. Music can build
> atmosphere very well, but it's not easy to find good atmospheric music
> that is free to use. So, does anybody know of some good creepy music,
> that is public domain, or free to use?

My take on it is this: Whatever music you choose, it won't be to everyone's
liking. But, nearly everyone who likes music at all will have some means of
playing it while they're at their computer.

So, unless I had an Id-like budget to hire someone like Nine Inch Nails to
write and record a completely original score, I wouldn't bother. Your players
will mostly turn it off and listen to their own anyway.

Which, incidentally, brings up another point: If you do choose to include
music, then you absolutely should provide a way to turn it OFF.

sherm--

Dene wrote:
> "Timothy Pruett" <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote in message

[snip wonderful suggestions for a horror RL]

> "The creature lashes out with a claw. You gasp as they rake your flesh."

Using "they" in the second sentence seems correct in spoken English,
but in fact it is a minor grammatical flaw. Being plural, "they" would
refer to many creatures raking the character's flesh. The correct
sentence would read "You gasp as it rakes your flesh." therfore
clarifying what is being referred to.

Auric__ wrote:

>>>I have one song that you're free to use. I didn't really mean it to be
>>>creepy, but if you want it, let me know. (It's a midi, but I can put it
>>>into a different format - wav, mp3, ogg, several others.)
>>
>>I'd definitely be interested. Is it small enough to send via email? If
>>so, send it on down my way. :)
>

> Sent.

I want a copy too :)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:55:53 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

>Auric__ wrote:

>>>I'd definitely be interested. Is it small enough to send via email? If
>>>so, send it on down my way. :)
>>

>> Sent.
>

>I want a copy too :)

Sent.
--
auric dot auric at gmail dot com
*****
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
-- Albert Einstein

> Well, progress on my game is moving forward pretty well. For those who
> don't know, it's a short little horror RL, taking place in a replica of
> the hotel that I live and work in.
> < snip >

I'm new to posting in this group, but thought I'd send my first opinionated,
fat-headed post. :)
Hello! (waves enthusiastically)

It strikes me that in a horror RL a lot of your atmosphere is going to come
from the text descriptions of events, the circumstances leading up to those
events, and a far larger than usual number of strings to describe them.
Hmmm.. this is sounding vague. Perhaps some examples:-

Describing the sound of a creature *attempting* to open a nearby door would
be as important as the actual opening:
"The door's knob begins to turn slowly"
"The door opens..." [yes, even the ellipses add a sense of forboding.
Fear the 3 dotted goodness!]
"Something slaps wetly against the door. The door gives way. You cannot
make out the shape beyond the doorframe..."
When a creature is *finally* in sight such that you can recognise it, I'd
make a big deal about it, but *never* name the creature!
"Your torch reveals a corpse, standing upright and staring with evil
intent..."
"Something unspeakable shambles into view, its black mouth puckering,
oozing black ichor"

Likewise, I'd imagine combat to look something like this:
"The creature lashes out with a claw. You gasp as they rake your flesh."
"The creature's mouth dribbles black fluid"
"You lash out with the hammer. It sinks in to the creature's chitinous
hide."
"You lash out with the hammer. The blow slides off the creature's
chitinous hide."
"With a gurgle, the creature falls to the ground. Is it dead..?"
"You walk past the creature's body..."
"You walk past the creature's body..."
"You walk past the creature's body..."
"You walk past the creature. It reaches up with claw and catches your
leg."

Anyhow, you get the idea. It seems to me that the general ideal would be to
use lots of adjectives, lots of adverbs, but few proper nouns. Fear is about
the player's imagination, and feeding that wherever possible, rather than
giving lots of dry information. Music *might* help, and sound *might* help,
but both these - if used in the context of a game where these are sporadic -
could actually take away from the atmosphere.

Anyhow - I look forward to seeing this when it gets to Alpha. It'll be
lovely to see a game which is less about mechanics and more about
atmosphere.

Dene

http://dene.iine.org

>> "The creature lashes out with a claw. You gasp as they rake your
>> flesh."
>
> Using "they" in the second sentence seems correct in spoken English,
> but in fact it is a minor grammatical flaw. Being plural, "they" would
> refer to many creatures raking the character's flesh. The correct
> sentence would read "You gasp as it rakes your flesh." therfore
> clarifying what is being referred to.

Your quiet wright, you now. :)

At Fri, 19 Aug 2005 21:55:14 -0500,
Timothy Pruett wrote:

> Timothy Pruett wrote:
> Oh, and just to mention, the scream sound effect I'm looking for is
> *not* the Wilhelm scream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream).

Shame, I was just going to mention it :)

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(TT) 3 Waaah!

Could it be the scream you hear when you click on the Academy in
Starcraft or when you fall a long way in Dark Forces (I think those two
are the same)? I know I see some question like this from time to time
and I think that sound is usually the answer.

briktal wrote:
> Could it be the scream you hear when you click on the Academy in
> Starcraft or when you fall a long way in Dark Forces (I think those two
> are the same)? I know I see some question like this from time to time
> and I think that sound is usually the answer.

Yes, that's it! Now if only I could find a copy of that sound...

--
My projects are currently on hold, but I do have
some junk at the site below.

http://www.freewebs.com/timsrl/index.htm

"briktal" <briktal@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Could it be the scream you hear when you click on the Academy in
> Starcraft or when you fall a long way in Dark Forces (I think those
> two
> are the same)? I know I see some question like this from time to time
> and I think that sound is usually the answer.

Hmmm good point, that scream is definitely not Wilhelm.

--
Glen
L:pyt E+++ T-- R+ P+++ D+ G+ F:*band !RL RLA-

> Any good general purpose creepy sound effects (creaks, groans, moans,
> knocks, etc.), screams, whatever you can think up. Some more heartbeat
> sound effects, of varying rythm would be nice, since I only have one
> fast beat and one slow beat. Also, I'm trying to find various odd,
> wierd sound effects. Nothing in particular, just sounds that confuse
> the player, without coming off as "hokey".

Speaking of creepy sound effects, there's this one sound effect that is
used nearly everywhere for large, creaky, wooden doors opening and
closing. I hear it almost every time there is a large wooden door on
screen. The problem is, once you notice that it's the same, it starts
to get old quick... :)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:21:07 +0100, "Dene" <dene@necrofaeries.net>
wrote:

>It strikes me that in a horror RL a lot of your atmosphere is going to come
>from the text descriptions of events, the circumstances leading up to those
>events, and a far larger than usual number of strings to describe them.
>Hmmm.. this is sounding vague. Perhaps some examples:-

The real difficulty isn't in generating text, but in getting players to
read it. We've got people here who don't even 'l'ook at new monsters.

>Likewise, I'd imagine combat to look something like this:
> "The creature lashes out with a claw. You gasp as they rake your flesh."
> "The creature's mouth dribbles black fluid"
> "You lash out with the hammer. It sinks in to the creature's chitinous
>hide."
> "You lash out with the hammer. The blow slides off the creature's
>chitinous hide."
> "With a gurgle, the creature falls to the ground. Is it dead..?"
> "You walk past the creature's body..."
> "You walk past the creature's body..."
> "You walk past the creature's body..."
> "You walk past the creature. It reaches up with claw and catches your
>leg."

All you've done is make the player hit the space bar (or whatever
advances the messages in your game) more, leading to *less* reading of
the actual text.

--
R. Dan Henry = danhenry@inreach.com

On 21 Aug 2005 14:03:03 -0700, bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:

>Dene wrote:
>> "Timothy Pruett" <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>[snip wonderful suggestions for a horror RL]
>
>> "The creature lashes out with a claw. You gasp as they rake your flesh."
>
>Using "they" in the second sentence seems correct in spoken English,

Only in quite modern nigh-illiterate spoken English. This isn't even
good dialect.

>but in fact it is a minor grammatical flaw. Being plural, "they" would
>refer to many creatures raking the character's flesh. The correct
>sentence would read "You gasp as it rakes your flesh." therfore
>clarifying what is being referred to.

Actually "they" takes "claw" as an antecedent, not "creature". Your
correction is, of course, still correct. Or one could write "The
creature lashes out with its claws" to provide a plural antecedent.
(This wasn't the only usage error in the examples, either -- but I don't
think it made the example set any less clear. You'd have to edit your
text in a real game, but making it is the first step.)

This particular text, however, isn't remotely suggestive of horror. It
would fit into any random dungeon crawl.

--

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On 21 Aug 2005 14:03:03 -0700, bencillan@yahoo.com wrote:
>

> >Dene wrote:
> >> "Timothy Pruett" <drakalor.tourist@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >[snip wonderful suggestions for a horror RL]
> >
> >> "The creature lashes out with a claw. You gasp as they rake your flesh."
> >
> >Using "they" in the second sentence seems correct in spoken English,
>
> Only in quite modern nigh-illiterate spoken English. This isn't even
> good dialect.
>
> >but in fact it is a minor grammatical flaw. Being plural, "they" would
> >refer to many creatures raking the character's flesh. The correct
> >sentence would read "You gasp as it rakes your flesh." therfore
> >clarifying what is being referred to.
>
> Actually "they" takes "claw" as an antecedent, not "creature". Your
> correction is, of course, still correct. Or one could write "The
> creature lashes out with its claws" to provide a plural antecedent.

Actually, it could also be read as (keeping the plural context there
for the sake of continuity, even though incorrect) "You gasp as they
rake your flesh [with their claw]. In such a scenario, the [with their
claw] is somewhat correct. The final sentence, though, should read "The
creature lashes at you with its claw. You gasp as it rakes your flesh."
Still, the ambiguous "it" in the second seems acceptable as meaning the
creature or the claw, the justification for it referring to the
creature being that the creature is the implicit mind behind the claw,
and thus anything that the claw does is the result of manipulation by
the creature.

> (This wasn't the only usage error in the examples, either -- but I don't
> think it made the example set any less clear. You'd have to edit your
> text in a real game, but making it is the first step.)
>
> This particular text, however, isn't remotely suggestive of horror. It
> would fit into any random dungeon crawl.

I agree.

skeksis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

> The real difficulty isn't in generating text, but in getting players to
> read it. We've got people here who don't even 'l'ook at new monsters.

<snips>
> All you've done is make the player hit the space bar (or whatever
> advances the messages in your game) more, leading to *less* reading of
> the actual text.

(blinks in amazement)

You mean you've never played a roguelike where you see a description of
what's on the floor as you move around? I'm sure i could find a whole bunch
of examples.

I really must say that the level of supercilous (and frankly superfluous)
commentary on what was supposed to be a fun and hopefully enthusiastic post
has done nothing to encourage discussion, nor further the cause of
roguelikes or their development.

I consider every post so far to have utterly missed the point, and I am left
genuinely regretting having posted at all.

If you wish to encourage discussion I suggest being a little friendlier.

At Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:16:09 +0100,
Skeksis wrote:

>> The real difficulty isn't in generating text, but in getting players to
>> read it. We've got people here who don't even 'l'ook at new monsters.
>>
><snips>
>> All you've done is make the player hit the space bar (or whatever
>> advances the messages in your game) more, leading to *less* reading of
>> the actual text.

> (blinks in amazement)

> You mean you've never played a roguelike where you see a description of
> what's on the floor as you move around? I'm sure i could find a whole bunch
> of examples.

Those "You're standing on 35 arrows of slay dragon" messages have
a purpose -- to see what item there's and decide whether to pick it up or
not. And even those messages are rarely read by players --- you usually
just scan the item name, and even this only when you consider picking it
up.

It's as if you arguead that roguelikesare like IF games because the
inventory listing in roguelikes is similar to room description in IF
games.

> I really must say that the level of supercilous (and frankly superfluous)
> commentary on what was supposed to be a fun and hopefully enthusiastic post
> has done nothing to encourage discussion, nor further the cause of
> roguelikes or their development.

> I consider every post so far to have utterly missed the point, and I am left
> genuinely regretting having posted at all.

> If you wish to encourage discussion I suggest being a little friendlier.

It's not a "brotherhood of mutual adoration", you know. You post good and
interesting ideas -- they get discussed and maybe even implemented. You
post bad ideas -- they get discussed and hopefully made better. You post
out-of-reality wishful thoughts -- they get criticised and brought back
to earth.

At least you can count on some kind of justice and equal treating. I mean
as long as you're not behaving unacceptably. ;)

--
Radomir `The Sheep' Dopieralski @**@_
(@a) 3 Be?

skeksis

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

<snip>

> At least you can count on some kind of justice and equal treating. I mean
> as long as you're not behaving unacceptably. ;)

Indeed. But to have to wade through persnickety comments about minor issues
of diction (see previous posts) seems less friendly (and relevant) than any
form of argument over merit of ideas.

And, incidentally, thanks for commenting. Friendly argument follows:

If this horror game were slower paced (as specified) rather than the usual
hack-fest, I think the text could be far more important. I'd even argue that
it is critical to commercial games such as Silent Hill. There's something
chilling about the simple mechanic of seeing something, investigating
(clicking) and seeing:

"It is a corpse. There is something wrong with his face."

In addition, I know when I play nethack I 'listen' out for shopkeepers,
rock-moles and dwarfs and many other messages. It doesn't strike me as too
much of a stretch to think that by throwing in a few extra lines (since
horror is more about anticipation than revelation), and flavouring others in
a more horrific manner you'll end up with a richer experience.

Let's be honest, if you want slow play, and not too many monsters, you're
going to be reading, 'l'ooking, and otherwise interacting with the
environment. A lot. Your feedback will probably be textual.

Dene

--
Sig? What sig?

TRENDING THREADS