[SOLVED] Just a general question about software speed and hardware usage

Johnny33

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Hi,

I am just wondering what it means if a software's functionality is slow but hardware usage is also low (other applications in the background work fine).

I am specifically using a program called JMars which seems to be RAM intensive over other forms of hardware, it is only using roughly 30% when 16GB is allocated and yet the software takes roughly 30 seconds to perform tasks such as camera panning or zooming.

Thanks in advance and please ask if more information is required to provide an answer.

Solution
I doubt its hardware specs as mine are definitely good enough to run the application as none are being close to maxed out ( CPU 15%, GPU 4%, RAM 30%)
That doesn't mean much, imagine a work crew of 8 people were one person carries a flat screen TV and the other 7 help by carrying the cord and the remote, you get about 15% of work out of that work crew even though only one of them is actually doing anything of worth.
and yet the software takes roughly 30 seconds to perform tasks such as camera panning or zooming.
Even if this data is on local storage the Programm has to make sense of all of it every time you change some parameter.
JMARS provides free and efficient access to more than a terabyte of NASA orbiter data, and has basic image and vector processing features to conveniently compare, plot, and blend data.

Johnny33

Honorable
Apr 28, 2014
Could be many things.

Speed and stability of your internet connection.
Hardware specs.
Crappy code in the application.
Some or all of the above.

I doubt its hardware specs as mine are definitely good enough to run the application as none are being close to maxed out ( CPU 15%, GPU 4%, RAM 30%)

Speed and stability of internet connection seems more likely to me, as mentioned before it streams a lot of data.

I cannot speak on the coding aspect as I have no knowledge in the field, it's an open sourced software so could be studied for deficiencies.

That doesn't mean much, imagine a work crew of 8 people were one person carries a flat screen TV and the other 7 help by carrying the cord and the remote, you get about 15% of work out of that work crew even though only one of them is actually doing anything of worth.

Solution