Just a quick memory question.

da10x

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
I am currently running a setup with two sticks of 2GB DDR3 RAM from Patriot.
If I want to add one or two more sticks in, do they have to be the same brand and make, or can they be any two sticks?
Thanks a lot in advance.

r_manic

Administrator
I prefer you use the same brand and type. If not possible, the same type. But trying to find the same type from a different brand can be tricky, so be careful. What's your motherboard?

halcyon

Splendid
OP, you're kind of asking for trouble by mixing different brand ram in. Even though it may appear to spec the same, my experience has lead to show that there's enough differences for them to be unstable when mixed. Timings...voltages.

Save yourself a headache and try to get the same memory...not just the same brand. If you can't find it, then just replace it all, you'll be glad you did from a stability and OC'ing point of view.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I've had some luck with mixing RAM, but there's so many different speeds and voltages now.

Not only does it have to be compatible with the board, but also with the other RAM. While I do recommend trying your best to get the same brand and make, a lot of times your motherboard will automatically adjust your timings and voltages if they are slightly different. Even then, it might not run as stable.

With RAM as cheap as it is (practically disposable.), it wouldn't be a bad idea to just buy a brand new kit. Especially when you can get a good 6GB DDR3-1600 set for under $100 US.

da10x

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008

That's the FTW edition. Mine's the Ultra.
I guess I could just either buy a whole new RAM setup or get the same ones.
Thanks guys. :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: