Question just a quick question - please answer.

That's a bad idea, especially if your system has a bottom mounted power supply because carpet tends to block airflow through the bottom of the case where the PSU intake (And in some cases, case fans) is located.

It would be better to use a hard flat surface, even a piece of linoleum, or a board, or a couple of 12" ceramic tiles, placed under the case, would be better than running it directly on the carpet.

If you are in fact talking about "building" the system on carpet, also not a good idea. Build it on a table or countertop, and be sure to ground yourself after walking across the carpet before touching your motherboard or any components, while working with them during assembly. Touching the case, or a metal lamp, or something along those lines, is a good idea, before handling your motherboard or graphics card, etc.

i got a prebuilt, and people always say dont build your pc on top of a carpet, but can i put my pc on my carpet then use it? thanks
Of course you can but carpet tends to attract and hold dust and if case has a bottom fan it will fill up with dust in no time. If you have to keep it on carpet at least put a piece of wood under it.
As for actually building it on the carpet:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDUZRNp4pxg

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hi

I'm uncertain if you're referring to the reluctance to working on PCs on a carpet environment due to static electricity or the reluctance to let a PC sit directly on the carpet itself, as that can not only invite dust and also restrict air flow.

Either situation is definitely not recommended. At the very least, let the PC sit on a hard surface like wood.

chun.s.johnny

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
Hi

I'm uncertain if you're referring to the reluctance to working on PCs on a carpet environment due to static electricity or the reluctance to let a PC sit directly on the carpet itself, as that can not only invite dust and also restrict air flow.

Either situation is definitely not recommended. At the very least, let the PC sit on a hard surface like wood.
i was just going to put my pc under my desk, and its carpet until so i was reluctant. is it okay if i put it there but instead of wood i just put some cardboard under it