[SOLVED] Just a reminder to check your backups

Solution
Just had a failure of one of my large storage solutions. I have backup(s) of all of it, but have needed to shuffle some things around for the redundancy that I desire for the short term.

Keep an eye on your storage solutions. ;)
Yes, offline backups when you connect backup drive only when needed or if BIOS allows it, it can be connected inside but it's port disabled (most new MBs can do that). It's important that primary OS doesn't have access to it in case of malware etc.
In order of importance of content, 2 or more backup options also strictly offline.
Saved my a$$ to many times to count.
There are beautiful programs like Macrium Reflect that can be set for automatic, periodical backups in several manners.
Just had a failure of one of my large storage solutions. I have backup(s) of all of it, but have needed to shuffle some things around for the redundancy that I desire for the short term.

Keep an eye on your storage solutions. ;)
Yes, offline backups when you connect backup drive only when needed or if BIOS allows it, it can be connected inside but it's port disabled (most new MBs can do that). It's important that primary OS doesn't have access to it in case of malware etc.
In order of importance of content, 2 or more backup options also strictly offline.
There are beautiful programs like Macrium Reflect that can be set for automatic, periodical backups in several manners.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Funny enough, the fashion in which this drive failed made me actually replace and troubleshoot other items. I was getting terrible (data) throughput and random shutdowns. Likely would not have noted it for some time moving forward if not for causing those other things to happen. As I was bench testing the machine I noted that disconnecting this drive made all the difference. Where it was I couldn't hear it "bumping".
I put it on the counter and used a caddy to pull it's info before total failure and my wife asked what "that terrible noise" was.

Funny enough, the fashion in which this drive failed made me actually replace and troubleshoot other items. I was getting terrible (data) throughput and random shutdowns. Likely would not have noted it for some time moving forward if not for causing those other things to happen. As I was bench testing the machine I noted that disconnecting this drive made all the difference. Where it was I couldn't hear it "bumping".
I put it on the counter and used a caddy to pull it's info before total failure and my wife asked what "that terrible noise" was.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMe2vza46cQ