[SOLVED] Just a simple cheap HDMI PCI-E x16 Card?

redpenguin2

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
I currently have a Dell Optiplex 760 Mini Tower.

It runs my MythTV DVR Setup and has been hooked up to my TV via VGA for years now with no problem.

The issue is, I am finally getting a new TV and I have to go the HDMI Route but the PC doesn't have it.

I tried looking at various stores like Best Buy, NewEgg, Amazon, etc and found ones such as the XFX - AMD Radeon R5 220 Core Edition & GeForce 710.

Yet when I try to look at reviews, I keep seeing complaints like they are slow cards and use system memory and not their own.

Does anybody know of just a simple HDMI PCI-E x16 card with sound just for a DVR/Kodi setup?

Solution
It might be worth considering a system upgrade overall, if budget allows.
A modern APU would be more than capable.... for a (relatively) low outlay, depending on whether you can repurpose Case/PSU etc.

For example:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $183.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 12:39 EST-0500

Or, if you needed a new case, PSU and storage:

PCPartPicker Part...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Any discrete PCIe GPU has it's own VRAM setup and does not use system memory - reviews on Newegg and the like always have to be taken with anywhere from a pinch to a mine of salt.

While both cards mentioned would likely do the trick for what you want, they're probably overpriced for what they are.

I expect they're in the ~$50 range?
Not that you need the power of the stronger cards, but for the money being spent, an R5 220 or GT710 seem pretty pointless and their prices new when stronger cards are available. If you could score one for ~$10 or $20, that's different.

Same for cards like an HD5450 etc.

I'd suggest looking to the used market. GT1030, RX550 are newer cards and should be available, used in that general ballpark (or less)...

Try going for a used GTX 680, 690, 770, 780 on ebay, they sell for less than 100$ nowadays and the 780 I know firsthand is pretty decent in today's standards.

Doesn't sound like the OP needs the raw horsepower available from any of those cards - and i'm assuming is running the stock PSU, which will rule out most/all of those options.

Depending on the PSU that's in the system, you might be able to get away with something stronger... Say GTX960, RX560, RTX570 that require a 6pin PCIe connector, but I doubt there's any more than that available.

Any discrete PCIe GPU has it's own VRAM setup and does not use system memory - reviews on Newegg and the like always have to be taken with anywhere from a pinch to a mine of salt.

While both cards mentioned would likely do the trick for what you want, they're probably overpriced for what they are.

I expect they're in the ~$50 range?
Not that you need the power of the stronger cards, but for the money being spent, an R5 220 or GT710 seem pretty pointless and their prices new when stronger cards are available. If you could score one for ~$10 or $20, that's different.

Same for cards like an HD5450 etc.

I'd suggest looking to the used market. GT1030, RX550 are newer cards and should be available, used in that general ballpark (or less)...

Doesn't sound like the OP needs the raw horsepower available from any of those cards - and i'm assuming is running the stock PSU, which will rule out most/all of those options.

Depending on the PSU that's in the system, you might be able to get away with something stronger... Say GTX960, RX560, RTX570 that require a 6pin PCIe connector, but I doubt there's any more than that available.

All of those are way too power hungry for this use case. The power supply in that machine wouldn't have the necessary connectors for them anyway.

Completely forgot he's trying to fit in in an optiplex, ma bad. A GT 710 Would be a better option then. It's only 35$

redpenguin2

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
What resolution is your new TV? You could use a DVI to HDMI adapter, but given how old the system is the integrated graphics probably can't output anything higher than like 720p.

It will be a 4K HDR but I only have access to content 1080p/i. (Well unless YouTube starts showing me 4K I guess).

My current set is only 720P, but am being given the 4K as a gift to upgrade this almost 11 year old set.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It might be worth considering a system upgrade overall, if budget allows.
A modern APU would be more than capable.... for a (relatively) low outlay, depending on whether you can repurpose Case/PSU etc.

For example:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $183.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 12:39 EST-0500

Or, if you needed a new case, PSU and storage:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win BL040.300TB3LF HTPC Case w/300 W Power Supply ($83.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $292.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-14 12:40 EST-0500

For a basic, cheap option, I'd just pick up a used (modern) GPU and drop it in.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-Radeon...556201&hash=item262bcd0c19:g:yGEAAOSwfkZdmlOR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-Radeon...868687?hash=item5b64e6c2cf:g:7g4AAOSw5WRdzFJ3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gtx-1050-2gb/153719499509?hash=item23ca656af5:g:7McAAOSwkxtdyEHJ

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Solution
Nov 19, 2019
I currently have a Dell Optiplex 760 Mini Tower.

It runs my MythTV DVR Setup and has been hooked up to my TV via VGA for years now with no problem.

The issue is, I am finally getting a new TV and I have to go the HDMI Route but the PC doesn't have it.

I tried looking at various stores like Best Buy, NewEgg, Amazon, etc and found ones such as the XFX - AMD Radeon R5 220 Core Edition & GeForce 710.

Yet when I try to look at reviews, I keep seeing complaints like they are slow cards and use system memory and not their own.

Does anybody know of just a simple HDMI PCI-E x16 card with sound just for a DVR/Kodi setup?
I have a similar model— the Optiplex 760 Small Form Factor—and I know it pretty well.

You need a single slot/low profile, low power (passive) gpu for the optiplex 760-line.

I just recently installed a Geforce GT 1030 in PCI-E slot (PNY brand w/ 2 gb memory)...it works great! Low power consumption of 30w, so your PCI-E slot should be able to handle it. Recommended power supply is 300w, but I’m using the stock 235 psu and it runs just fine.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I have a similar model— the Optiplex 760 Small Form Factor—and I know it pretty well.

You need a single slot/low profile, low power (passive) gpu for the optiplex 760-line.

I just recently installed a Geforce GT 1030 in PCI-E slot (PNY brand w/ 2 gb memory)...it works great! Low power consumption of 30w, so your PCI-E slot should be able to handle it. Recommended power supply is 300w, but I’m using the stock 235 psu and it runs just fine.
The OP has the mini tower, not the SFF. It can support a full height, dual slot card.

Nov 19, 2019
The OP has the mini tower, not the SFF. It can support a full height, dual slot card.
Oh, you’re right!

However, the mini tower, along w/ SFF, are extremely tight in real estate inside the case. So while the low profile bracket would not be needed, I don’t think you can get a full height card in there without relocating the hard drive (it’s got a dell custom hdd ‘bracket’—it’s more like a gigantic plastic cage w/ hdd fan located on underside), and also modifying the rear metal casing. And then there’s the issue of power, too.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
However, the mini tower, along w/ SFF, are extremely tight in real estate inside the case. So while the low profile bracket would not be needed, I don’t think you can get a full height card in there without relocating the hard drive

The Mini Tower is the MT:
large

Found this image online:
8821835721428997268.jpg

That's the space they have to work with.

Full-height cards are about the only aspect they don't have to worry about.
Power has been addressed... So length and max dual slot

Nov 19, 2019
The Mini Tower is the MT:
large

Found this image online:
8821835721428997268.jpg

That's the space they have to work with.

Full-height cards are about the only aspect they don't have to worry about.
Power has been addressed... So length and max dual slot
Oh, I see...I guess I was confusing the MT with the Desktop and SFF (which is what I have). Thanks for clarifying!