[SOLVED] just bought 1080 TI, but i think something is not right with it..

adarc8

Honorable
Nov 24, 2016
Hi, so i will first say that i bought it from someone who use this card for mining ( yup.. :(.. ) but for only half a year (as he said).
I had 1080 before and I got about 110 FPS average inn COD MW.
now with the 1080ti I got around 145 fps avg which I was excited and happy to see, BUT in some games like csgo and the new Valorant game, I have fps drops.. I'm playing on avg around 140 fps (which is pretty damn low for only Valorant) and sometimes it drops to 90 especially when there's many ppl near me fighting.

I'm worried that something isn't right with the card so I did a stress test for 20 mints:
I got a score of 9554 in Furmark ( https://gpuscore.top/furmark/show.php?id=53401 ), and the temperature was 88 celsius (!!!) (190 Fahrenheit)
also, I've noticed that the gpu is on 100% usage, then on 60%, then again 100%, then again 41%, then 100, and then 73%.. its jumping like this each second so I'm wonder if maybe this is clearly showing that there's a problem causing the card not to work as It could be.
is 9554 is bad score to 1080TI?

my build is
8GB x 2 RAM (3000mhz)
r5 1600x oc@3.94 GHz
Palit 1080TI

Last thing: when i installed the new card, i just installed new driver and that's it. which means that right now there's 2 different drivers on my PC, one for my old 1080, and one for the "new" 1080 ti (i didn't deleted the last one cause google say it wont matter).

Im thinking about deleting every Nvidia software and driver and then install back again my driver, and if that will not fix the problem then i will format my PC but I'm not sure this probs gonna solve anything.

About cooling: i have dust in my PC cause i didn't clean it for like 2 yrs (yeah I'm one of those guys) but i srsly don't think that cleaning it will make a change because i already played with 1080 for 2 years and had no problem, so why switching to 1080ti can cause problems..

Thanks

Solution
80c. is the target temperature for many cards.
I think what you are seeing is thermal throttling yo-yo action.
Is the card overclocked?
Was the card's firmware altered for mining purposes?
Look at the fan profile to see that under load, the fan runs full out.
You can monitor with GPU-Z

I do not think there is a good need to panic about uninstalling old drivers.
Windows is perfectly capable of running multiple graphics cards and drivers simultaneously.
But, I suppose redoing things could not hurt.

I doubt a reinstall of windows would do anything either.
Is the card overclocked?

Windows is perfectly capable of running multiple graphics cards and drivers simultaneously.

Solution
Ryzen 5 1600x will limit a 1080ti in some cases. Keep that in mind.

It could be thermal related. What are temps?

This behavior could also be related to the card being flashed for mining. What are the memory clocks and core clocks looking like?

Drivers should be the same for both cards so I doubt that's the issue.

Make and model of PSU?

adarc8

Honorable
Nov 24, 2016
Is the card overclocked?

Ryzen 5 1600x will limit a 1080ti in some cases. Keep that in mind.

It could be thermal related. What are temps?

This behavior could also be related to the card being flashed for mining. What are the memory clocks and core clocks looking like?

Drivers should be the same for both cards so I doubt that's the issue.

Make and model of PSU?

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it. can you tell me exactly what to do or whats the name of the process that u want me to check (ill google it how to do it) cause i didn't understand most of the things u wanted me to check.

thermal throttling - means i need to open the gpu component and put new thermal cream?
i didn't overclocked the card. but maybe the guy who sold me that overclocked it? how do i check it
I've no idea how to see the card's firmware alerts, if its a windows 10 pop up, then no i had no pop up about mining..
okay i can do that, while gaming, but what do i expect to see when i get the fps drops?

the temps are very high as u see in the stress test 88 celcius
memory clock and core clock while gaming? i can check that
i have Seasonic 620W old model but i doubt that the problem is with him because i already installed 1080ti for a month about a year ago cause my friend borrow me,. and i didn't had any issue