[SOLVED] Just bought a MSi b450 Tomahawk Max. Doesn't look new to me can you help with opinions please

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
The back side is indicative of collecting dust while inside of a built system. The reseller did not even give the courtesy of hitting the motherboard with a can of compressed air. Where did you buy it from?

Many motherboard manufacturers, including MSI, seal neither the box nor the antistatic bag the mobo ships in.
That may be true in other markets but in the US I've not seen one in over 20 years. Not saying it's not possible as I'm sure it is, but I'd grab the manager and ask for an open-box discount if I came across one.

And then step away if refused because what OP got is what you can expect when you don't.

gtarayan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
That may be true in other markets but in the US I've not seen one in over 20 years.

I am not sure what you are saying. In the past 2 years I have purchased about 10 motherboards in the US market from Amazon, Newegg, and Microcenter. Asus, MSI, and ASRock boxes were not sealed, and the antistatic bags had simple clear tape. The last board I purchased from EVGA (X58) was sealed in such way that you could not reseal it to pass it off as new. I have a brand new MSI X570 Tomahawk sitting in the box (from Newegg) - the box is not sealed.

EDIT

I should qualify the above - None of the boards were in the "premium" sector - all under $300. The EVGA board had been purchased in 2009 - I do not know if EVGA presently seals their boards.

Last edited:

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Where did you buy the board? was it in a sealed box?
The back side is indicative of collecting dust while inside of a built system. The reseller did not even give the courtesy of hitting the motherboard with a can of compressed air. Where did you buy it from?

Bought from amazon uk
The box was not sealed but the antistatic bag had some kind of plastic

I think I am sending back but, dont want to take any chances

does the motherboard serial # match the box? fibers and dust are not a good sign

I already packed it in and I didnt check but it would have been a good idea. The box looked weird too, looked like someone started unpacking from wrong end and broke it a bit before realizing

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler

gabi222

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
Thanks I will send it back. But for the record, is the cpu socket color normal to you? Why can I see areas that are clearly darker, this isnt a worry? Asking because I still need to get this board and dont want to freak out for no reason when i receive the next one (hopefully new ) :)

I am not sure what you are saying. In the past 2 years ...

I'm saying that a sealed box/bag is the only way to have any confidence you're not getting something that's been taken out and used for playing shuffle board on the floor or something.

Everything I've bought as 'new' over the last 10 or 15 years has had a seal of some sort...usually a plastic sticky dot over an opening seam...or continued looking. That's motherboards, memory clamshells, boxed processors, GPU's, heatsinks, laptops, cell phones. Even kitchen utensils and appliances. If you accept the risk that's OK for you. As for me, I buy open box only at a discount.

ADD: also...Newegg in particular does sell a lot of refurbish units. The price can be much better and easily put in the cart if not paying attention. Not saying that's bad, as refurbs can still be quite good and certainly worth their price, but they may not come with a seal.

Last edited: