Question Just bought a new CPU, motherboard and RAMs

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
So, I just recently upgraded my PC from : i7-4770 3.4ghz processor, B85-HD3 motherboard, 4x4 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAMs

to: i7-8700 3.2 base ghz(up to 4.3-4.6 ghz), B360 Aorus gaming 3 wifi, 1x16 DDR4 3000mhz (operating on 2666 mhz) (GPU: Gtx 1050 ti )

my problem is I feel that the games' performance have been less than before the upgrade? i've been experiencing weird FPS drops.... for example league of legends, i'm running on medium-low settings and I get 120fps and sometimes they drop to 10?
meanwhile a game like Bioshock infinite running on ultra with 100 fps constant no drops in frames, I tried a game like Darksiders 3 the default graphics settings were on low and when I tried increasing it to medium I got 60 fps with constant drop to 35-30

PS: I really don't know if the PC is running on integrated GPU or not and also in dxdiag, says (8gb of rams are shared?)

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Did you do a clean install of Windows after upgrading the hardware? If not then that's your issue.
after upgrading I do admit most of the drivers wouldn't even be installed as they were unrecognized and couldn't even install a LAN driver so I went to all settings > update & security > recovery > Reset this pc , and now everything works but now I'm getting fps drops as I mentioned earlier...etc

Last edited:
after upgrading I do admit most of the drivers wouldn't even be installed as they were unrecognized and couldn't even install a LAN driver so I went to all settings > update & security > recovery > Reset this pc , and now everything works but now I'm getting fps drops as I mentioned earlier...etc
That’s not a clean install, this requires a format of the drive and complete install.

Reactions: WildCard999

WildCard999

Titan
It needs to be a clean install, even with updates and a reset there's still going to be conflicting drivers that will cause performance issues.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
So resetting won't remove drivers? because it pretty much removed all of my system programs I had to install everything... seemed like it removed everything in the C drive as a clean install... yet I'll still need to install a new windows?

PS: so how can I do this, do I need to download Windows 10 Media creation tool and mount new windows (not the current) to a usb and install?

With but one stick of RAM, you have cut your memory bandwidth in half....

Rebooting with new hardware sometimes works, but, since it is not for you...

Full reinstall, it's good practice, and, with decent NVME storage, WIn10 can be installed in about only 4.5 minutes these days anyway....

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
With but one stick of RAM, you have cut your memory bandwidth in half....

Rebooting with new hardware sometimes works, but, since it is not for you...

Full reinstall, it's good practice, and, with decent NVME storage, WIn10 can be installed in about only 4.5 minutes these days anyway....

I noticed my shared memory was almost half of my rams so, a clean installation will fix the RAM problem?

WildCard999

Titan
So resetting won't remove drivers? because it pretty much removed all of my system programs I had to install everything... seemed like it removed everything in the C drive as a clean install... yet I'll still need to install a new windows?

PS: so how can I do this, do I need to download Windows 10 Media creation tool and mount new windows (not the current) to a usb and install?
It may of removed your programs but I'm sure your previous motherboard software is still in the system which requires the clean install.

And yes getting the ISO on a flash drive and reinstalling should work fine.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Are you using the stock Intel cooler for the 8700? If so what is the max temp your getting while gaming? (HWmonitor records the max).
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Yes the default one that came with the processor
Capture.png

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Hi Daniel,

Theres a few things I would like to double check with your new installed system; First, check if all of your CPU cores are unparked. While your playing games, or when these lag drops occur, please tell me the usage of the memory and the Disk drive via task manager. Additionally, ensure all drivers are updated, temperatures of hardware in game at at a stable rate, there are no programs taking up computer hardware usage.

Your computer should not be running on intergrated graphics, to be sure of that, check that your monitor is inserted into the graphics card and not the motherboard.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
Hi Daniel,

Theres a few things I would like to double check with your new installed system; First, check if all of your CPU cores are unparked. While your playing games, or when these lag drops occur, please tell me the usage of the memory and the Disk drive via task manager. Additionally, ensure all drivers are updated, temperatures of hardware in game at at a stable rate, there are no programs taking up computer hardware usage.

Your computer should not be running on intergrated graphics, to be sure of that, check that your monitor is inserted into the graphics card and not the motherboard.
so I've checked all of that, no parked Cores (checked using a program called CPU ready or something like that), the usage of memory is around 60-80% at that time and the disk drive is something around 40% (not 100% sure), updated all drivers and this only occurs in League. I was seeing if my build is good and I'm not quite sure? but Is my GPU a bottleneck in this build?

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
So recently I've tried playing Rainbow Six Siege and on the old CPU I used to have 80-100 fps constant with low-medium settings which was pretty cool and now I can't even get constant 60 fps with any settings I put the game on this is frustrating, also when I put it on medium-high and used MSI afterburner the CPU and GPU were on 90% of usage which is the highest I've seen a game use before so what Is happening?

InvalidError

Titan
so all of the bad fps is caused due to single channel memory instead of dual?
Single vs dual is a 5-15% difference in average FPS and upwards of 60% for 0.1% lows in some cases. Even if your lower average FPS is primarily caused by something else and you fix that, you'll still experience frequent sometimes massive FPS dips from having single-channel memory and will still want to address that too.

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
yes but this is 16 gb of rams, shouldn't at this point be irrelevant what I have in the dual since it exceeds what the game requires overall? the game max requires 8 maybe 10 gb of rams but I'm not getting much fps Drops as much as getting bad fps overall, i'm having constant 55-60 when I'm having everything on Low settings. There is definitely something else that's gotta be causing this terrible FPS, I should have this game running on medium-high with my specs but even on Low I'm having terrible fps

InvalidError

Titan
yes but this is 16 gb of rams, shouldn't at this point be irrelevant what I have in the dual since it exceeds what the game requires overall?
If you have a single 16GB DIMM installed, then the memory bus is limited to 64bits wide and the memory bandwidth is limited to 2666 x 8 bytes wide = 21.3GB/s. With two DIMMs on separate channels, memory bandwidth increases to 42.6GB/s. The physical connection between the CPU and RAM is a completely different matter from how much RAM your software is using.

Having twice as much RAM bandwidth enables memory reads and writes to complete twice as fast so the CPU ends up wasting significantly less time waiting after RAM, hence the better average and much better worst-case FPS.

Reactions: Daniel Youssef

Daniel Youssef

Distinguished
May 24, 2013
If you have a single 16GB DIMM installed, then the memory bus is limited to 64bits wide and the memory bandwidth is limited to 2666 x 8 bytes wide = 21.3GB/s. With two DIMMs on separate channels, memory bandwidth increases to 42.6GB/s. The physical connection between the CPU and RAM is a completely different matter from how much RAM your software is using.

Having twice as much RAM bandwidth enables memory reads and writes to complete twice as fast so the CPU ends up wasting significantly less time waiting after RAM, hence the better average and much better worst-case FPS.
Ok so what’s the better option here, sell the 1x16 and get 2x8 or get an extra 4 gb or 8gb of ram next to the 16? And btw should I get them with heat spread or not needed?

Edit: If I’m going to exchange for 2x8 should I get them 2400mhz since my motherboard can only support max 2666?

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that there are games that I don't act the same way, Crysis 3 for example is a really intense game for the PC and on high settings it's running constant 80-100 fps smoothly without any errors but a game like rainbow six siege is where I started getting the bad fps

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Exchanging the 1x16GB for 2x8GB is indeed the better option. Mixing memory is not recommended. Mismatched channel loadout (ex.: 16 on one, 8 on the other) is the next worst option after single-channel since that gives you interleaved mode where you still have single-channel bandwidth but at least get to access two channels when memory requests hit different channels..

Different software has different memory access patterns, it is normal for some games to get hit worse by a given platform limitation than others.

Reactions: Daniel Youssef