Just bought a new ssd, but it doesn't work

bacwrds

Honorable
Nov 7, 2017
I just bought the Crucial MX500 256gb ssd and pluged it into my my custom built PC with a 1tb WD blue HDD. I was hoping to make the SSD my new boot drive and turn the 1tb HDD into a storage drive but the SSD wont even show up in the file explorer, in the disk manager thing it does show up but it says its "unallocated" I think (from reading other forums) that I need to format it, but the option to do so just isn't there.

Should I just reset my whole PC? (I dont have any important data)

Solution
I did this in the past, used the 'macrium reflect' tool to clone my boot drive to my ssd.

The boot drive was filled with more files than the ssd would fit,
with some cleaning up I managed to get it to work.

~Ferre

bacwrds

Honorable
Nov 7, 2017

Update I got the SSD to show up in windows by FINALLY formatting it, now how would I go about transferring windows to it?

kanewolf

Titan
IF you have a C: partition on your existing hard drive that is smaller than your SSD you can clone it. OR if the total space used on your 1TB disk is smaller than your SSD you can clone it. IF you don't meet either of those situations, you will probably have to do a fresh OS install.

Ferre Vekemans

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I did this in the past, used the 'macrium reflect' tool to clone my boot drive to my ssd.

The boot drive was filled with more files than the ssd would fit,
with some cleaning up I managed to get it to work.

~Ferre

Solution