[SOLVED] Just bought an AIO. How should I modify my existing setup?

Oct 31, 2020
I just recently bought the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2. My current Cryorig H7 has a slight crack in the fan but it still works fine tbh. My current PC case is the Phanteks P400S. It has the rear exhaust fans and I added two 140mm BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 fans as intake on the front. I'm currently wondering how should I set up my fan system if I decide to keep this AIO. My temperatures seem fine. GPU sticks at 76 and CPU roughly the same(?) gaming.
  1. Mount AIO to top of case as intake (is it okay to have 4 intake and 1 exhaust?)
  2. Mount AIO to top of case as exhaust (2 front 140mm intake, 3 120mm exhaust)
  3. Mount AIO in front as intake, move both 140mm BeQuiet fans to top as exhaust (so 2 intake, 3 exhaust)
  4. Mount AIO in front as intake, move both 140mm BeQuiet fans to top as exhaust and change rear to intake (3 intake, 2 exhaust)
  5. Just completely replace the BeQuiet fans with the AIO
  6. Or just return it for whatever reason (better aircooler, no change in temp, etc)
If my PC specs need to be seen. My PC is 3 1/2 years old. Probably could have gotten better memory. I'll probably just build a new an entirely new PC in the future and use this as a secondary for whatever or for my partner.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 CL16 Memory
Storage: Crucial MX300 525 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB QUICK SILVER OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
I just recently bought the Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2. My current Cryorig H7 has a slight crack in the fan but it still works fine tbh. My current PC case is the Phanteks P400S. It has the rear exhaust fans and I added two 140mm BeQuiet Pure Wings 2 fans as intake on the front. I'm currently wondering how should I set up my fan system if I decide to keep this AIO. My temperatures seem fine. GPU sticks at 76 and CPU roughly the same(?) gaming.
  1. Mount AIO to top of case as intake (is it okay to have 4 intake and 1 exhaust?)
  3. Mount AIO in front as intake, move both 140mm BeQuiet fans to top as exhaust (so 2 intake, 3 exhaust)...
  3. Mount AIO in front as intake, move both 140mm BeQuiet fans to top as exhaust (so 2 intake, 3 exhaust)
  4. Mount AIO in front as intake, move both 140mm BeQuiet fans to top as exhaust and change rear to intake (3 intake, 2 exhaust)
  6. Or just return it for whatever reason (better aircooler, no change in temp, etc)
If my PC specs need to be seen. My PC is 3 1/2 years old. Probably could have gotten better memory. I'll probably just build a new an entirely new PC in the future and use this as a secondary for whatever or for my partner.

Case airflow and fan direction should always be from the front and bottom (intakes) to the rear and top (exhausts). With that in mind, my preference is to mount the radiator in front as intake with the hose barb lower than the CPU mounted WB/pump and the 'lower' tank above the WB/pump. (your option 3, barbs below pump)

If you can't get the tank above the pump you might experience 'gurgling' noises and reduced cooling performance from air bubbles forming at the top of the liquid which would be the pump.

Second choice is mounted on top as an exhaust with fans in front as intakes (your option 2).

The reason I like it in front as intake is it provides best cooling for the CPU since it's always using outside air to remove heat in the radiator. As an exhaust it's using the hot exhaust air from the GPU so the cooling effect is lesser. The 'warm' air off the CPU's radiator is no big deal to the GPU since it's rarely all that hot in gaming, when the GPU's breathing out fire. If you have a good way to exhaust all the GPU air directly outside the case than this won't be an issue.

Whatever you do, never mount with the radiator 100% below the WB/pump. Check out gamersnexus' warning about that here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk&t=273s

Last edited:
Solution

thefxgamingrules

Reputable
Jun 19, 2018

I'm going off topic, but I have the same memory and mine goes up to 3200MHz without any errors.

Oct 31, 2020
Case airflow and fan direction should always be from the front and bottom (intakes) to the rear and top (exhausts). With that in mind, my preference is to mount the radiator in front as intake with the hose barb lower than the CPU mounted WB/pump and the 'lower' tank above the WB/pump. (your option 3, barbs below pump)

If you can't get the tank above the pump you might experience 'gurgling' noises and reduced cooling performance from air bubbles forming at the top of the liquid which would be the pump.

Second choice is mounted on top as an exhaust with fans in front as intakes (your option 2).

The reason I like it in front as intake is it provides best cooling for the CPU since it's always using outside air to remove heat in the radiator. As an exhaust it's using the hot exhaust air from the GPU so the cooling effect is lesser. The 'warm' air off the CPU's radiator is no big deal to the GPU since it's rarely all that hot in gaming, when the GPU's breathing out fire. If you have a good way to exhaust all the GPU air directly outside the case than this won't be an issue.

Whatever you do, never mount with the radiator 100% below the WB/pump. Check out gamersnexus' warning about that here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk&t=273s

Ah thanks. I heard it wasn't ideal to have more exhaust vs intake though. That's what I was worried about.

TRENDING THREADS