[SOLVED] Just bought another stick of ram to upgrade to dual channel, the new stick has a different manufactuarer, die and part number, am I good or not?

csukar

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
I know it's suggested to buy RAM in kits but I'm tight on moneyt atm and the 8gb stick I already had was going really cheap, so I thought I would buy one and see if it worked with my old one.

Everything seems ok, as far as I can tell it's operating in dual channel (according to CPU-Z) and all of the timings and everything seem to be the same.
I used Taiphoon to check if everything else was the same but a few things are different, the Die, manufacturer and part number don't match, I'll include screenshots at the bottom of this post.

So my question is am I ok to keep this stick? My pc seems to be running fine but will I run into trouble later on down the line?

Here are the Taiphoon readings.
View: https://imgur.com/4K8Dfig

View: https://imgur.com/c6LEH6x

Solution
There's a small chance of errors down the line but you're probably fine if you keep an eye on things.

I'd run Memtest86 and Prime95 (with large FFTs) just to give it a good stress test. If it passed that I wouldn't worry.

I remember someone claimed to have mixed DDR3 from different manufacturers with different speeds, timings and everything, so it's definately possible.

Dankhola

Prominent
Feb 12, 2020
Thankfully default timings/speeds and XMP settings look the same on both modules. I guess if 16GB is showing up and you've run some stress tests then you're golden!

Reactions: csukar

csukar

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Thankfully default timings/speeds and XMP settings look the same on both modules. I guess if 16GB is showing up and you've run some stress tests then you're golden!

Ok thank you for the reply, so if my system is working fine does having two different types of die have any negative concequences? Like would system performance be any better if I had two sticks with the same die or doesn't it make a difference? Sorry my OCD is kicking in =/

Dankhola

Prominent
Feb 12, 2020
There's a small chance of errors down the line but you're probably fine if you keep an eye on things.

I'd run Memtest86 and Prime95 (with large FFTs) just to give it a good stress test. If it passed that I wouldn't worry.

I remember someone claimed to have mixed DDR3 from different manufacturers with different speeds, timings and everything, so it's definately possible.

Solution