[SOLVED] Just bought new components and game is very choppy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Hello, I just purchased a:
I5 9600k
8gb Vengance RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
To go along side my
1660 6GB gpu

but I put it all together and my game is really choppy and laggy when I get into action? and when I open task manager it says call of duty is using 4GB of memory, but the stick is brand new and I thought 8GB would be plenty?

what’s the problem?
Thanks a lot

Solution
iammatty, to set the ram to run at the maximum supported speed of the CPU and motherboard chipset, press the delete key at bootup to enter the bios. Use your keyboard arrow keys to move to and press enter on the M.I.T menu.

You are looking for Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) which should be in Advanced Memory settings. If your modules support 2666Mhz as an XMP setting, select that and then press F10 to save and exit. Your ram should now be running at 2666Mhz. If XMP does not work, you will need to manually enter 2666Mhz in the Advanced Memory settings menu.

If you buy a second 8GB module, buy the same exact model for better compatibility assuming it works properly at 2666Mhz.
Yes I would have too but someone said my mobo wouldn’t support 3000 mhz
You can run 3000Mhz modules on the motherboard, but they will just need to be set to 2666. DDR4 modules start at the default JEDEC standard of 2133Mhz. If the modules have the settings programmed into them, they can tell the motherboard to automatically set to 2400 or 2666 if supported by the CPU and motherboard. If the motherboard doesn't automatically set those speeds, you either have to manually set speed, timings and voltage or use one of the XMP settings programmed into the module.

I'm currently running two 2x8GB kits rated at 4000Mhz, but I have manually them set to 3000, because of CPU memory controller limitations with Ryzen 2000. The XMP settings exposed to my motherboard are 3866 and 4000, so I can't just set a profile and expect it to work. That is why i was saying that you need to check that your 3000Mhz modules have an XMP setting for 2666 in the bios, before you buy a second identical module. You just happened to buy it before I posted and although it's rated for 2400Mhz, it shouldn't have any issue matching your 3000Mhz module at 2666 assuming they work together at all. The only way to know if they will work together is to try them.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
You can run 3000Mhz modules on the motherboard, but they will just need to be set to 2666. DDR4 modules start at the default JEDEC standard of 2133Mhz. If the modules have the settings programmed into them, they can tell the motherboard to automatically set to 2400 or 2666 if supported by the CPU and motherboard. If the motherboard doesn't automatically set those speeds, you either have to manually set speed, timings and voltage or use one of the XMP settings programmed into the module.

I'm currently running two 2x8GB kits rated at 4000Mhz, but I have manually them set to 3000, because of CPU memory controller limitations with Ryzen 2000. The XMP settings exposed to my motherboard are 3866 and 4000, so I can't just set a profile and expect it to work. That is why i was saying that you need to check that your 3000Mhz modules have an XMP setting for 2666 in the bios, before you buy a second identical module. You just happened to buy it before I posted and although it's rated for 2400Mhz, it shouldn't have any issue matching your 3000Mhz module at 2666 assuming they work together at all. The only way to know if they will work together is to try them.
Okay so I have it set to 2400 on both but the game is still so unplayable, what do I do? Whenever I get in action on a game it just drops to 2fps? It maxes out FPS normally but the memory on task manager says 95% memory is being used? I’m really getting stressed as I don’t know what to do

Okay so I have it set to 2400 on both but the game is still so unplayable, what do I do? Whenever I get in action on a game it just drops to 2fps? It maxes out FPS normally but the memory on task manager says 95% memory is being used? I’m really getting stressed as I don’t know what to do
What game are you playing and also check that you have both modules properly installed. Does Windows Task Manager or Speccy say 16GB for total installed ram?

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
What game are you playing and also check that you have both modules properly installed. Does Windows Task Manager or Speccy say 16GB for total installed ram?
I’ve tried Call of Duty and Rust, I surpass both recommended by a lot.
Task manager : gyazo com/e3ee707f5def7d219d8c58a41c3acf7d
Resource monitor : gyazo com/5835d48b0cf7ae67c9be18208c2d0e2f
Task manager (different) : gyazo com/aeec961158c470f9690abbe3d2ddf6d5 (this is also what i dont understand, google is using that much memory but i only have a few tabs open?
Speccy : gyazo com/4e31ae1e2334e62c2753e11d0670525a

ive just checked system info and it says only 7gb usable?

Im currently re installing windows as someone from a PC shop told me to give it a go?

If you could have a look at the information ive provided and offer some solutions that would be great.
Thanks alot

I’ve tried Call of Duty and Rust, I surpass both recommended by a lot.
Task manager : gyazo com/e3ee707f5def7d219d8c58a41c3acf7d
Resource monitor : gyazo com/5835d48b0cf7ae67c9be18208c2d0e2f
Task manager (different) : gyazo com/aeec961158c470f9690abbe3d2ddf6d5 (this is also what i dont understand, google is using that much memory but i only have a few tabs open?
Speccy : gyazo com/4e31ae1e2334e62c2753e11d0670525a

ive just checked system info and it says only 7gb usable?

Im currently re installing windows as someone from a PC shop told me to give it a go?

If you could have a look at the information ive provided and offer some solutions that would be great.
Thanks alot
Well since you are reinstalling Windows, the issue with missing 8GB of ram in windows will or should be fixed. It was an easy fix without reinstalling Windows.

Also, you haven't actually set your ram to run at 2400MT/s, Task Manager still shows 2133MT/s on the right side middle of the first screenshot. Did you enter the bios after installing the new memory? It's possible you didn't save when exiting or you will need to manually set your ram speed to 2400 or 2666 to try them. I left you directions on how to enter your motherboards bios in my first post on this thread.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Well since you are reinstalling Windows, the issue with missing 8GB of ram in windows will or should be fixed. It was an easy fix without reinstalling Windows.

Also, you haven't actually set your ram to run at 2400MT/s, Task Manager still shows 2133MT/s on the right side middle of the first screenshot. Did you enter the bios after installing the new memory? It's possible you didn't save when exiting or you will need to manually set your ram speed to 2400 or 2666 to try them. I left you directions on how to enter your motherboards bios in my first post on this thread.
Sorry to take up your time but how do I change it then? Because I thought what I had done changed it...?

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016

Re installing windows sorted it, thanks so much for your help mate

Re installing windows sorted it, thanks so much for your help mate
If you still want to change the memory speed, I would suggest reading the motherboard manual starting at page 18. You would need to learn some of this anyway. https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-S2H-20-rev-10/support#support-manual The Advanced Memory settings pages of the manual start on page 23. To get the memory to run at 2400 or 2666, you should only need to change the memory frequency to those speeds and everything else should work when left on automatic.

If you don't want to mess with it anymore and are happy with the results, I would just leave it at 2133MT/s. The fps difference with 2400-2666 won't be nearly as dramatic in most games as it would be moving from single channel to dual channel mode. At 2666MT/s you will probably only gain around 5-15% higher fps depending on the game. That is likely going to be only a 6-12fps difference when playing over 100fps which you probably wouldn't even notice. You would need to jump to 2933/3200 before you would really see a noticeable difference in fps when playing a game if you have low fps already.