Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Hello, I just purchased a:
I5 9600k
8gb Vengance RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
To go along side my
1660 6GB gpu

but I put it all together and my game is really choppy and laggy when I get into action? and when I open task manager it says call of duty is using 4GB of memory, but the stick is brand new and I thought 8GB would be plenty?

what’s the problem?
Thanks a lot

Solution
iammatty, to set the ram to run at the maximum supported speed of the CPU and motherboard chipset, press the delete key at bootup to enter the bios. Use your keyboard arrow keys to move to and press enter on the M.I.T menu.

You are looking for Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) which should be in Advanced Memory settings. If your modules support 2666Mhz as an XMP setting, select that and then press F10 to save and exit. Your ram should now be running at 2666Mhz. If XMP does not work, you will need to manually enter 2666Mhz in the Advanced Memory settings menu.

If you buy a second 8GB module, buy the same exact model for better compatibility assuming it works properly at 2666Mhz.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
Hello, I just purchased a:
I5 9600k
8gb Vengance RAM
Gigabyte motherboard
To go along side my
1660 6GB gpu

but I put it all together and my game is really choppy and laggy when I get into action? and when I open task manager it says call of duty is using 4GB of memory, but the stick is brand new and I thought 8GB would be plenty?

what’s the problem?
Thanks a lot
8gb is definitely not enough and especially as a single channel. If your playing games better than Minecraft and especially at higher settings your gonna need a second stick of 8

Ralston18

Titan
Full system hardware specs and OS?

Make and model information?

PSU (make, model, wattage, age, condition)?

Task Manager does provide helpful information. Take a look at Resource Monitor as well.

However, 6 GB of RAM suggests that you are not using dual channel memory and/or there is some RAM misconfiguration.

Look at the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for the supported RAM modules and the corresponding installation requirements.

As a general observation, a matched RAM set ( 2 x 4GB) kit may prove the most helpful.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
So I downloaded speccy and it says my ram is only using
Full system hardware specs and OS?

Make and model information?

PSU (make, model, wattage, age, condition)?

Task Manager does provide helpful information. Take a look at Resource Monitor as well.

However, 6 GB of RAM suggests that you are not using dual channel memory and/or there is some RAM misconfiguration.

Look at the motherboard's User Guide/Manual for the supported RAM modules and the corresponding installation requirements.

As a general observation, a matched RAM set ( 2 x 4GB) kit may prove the most helpful.
So I downloaded speccy and it says my ram is only using 1065 MHz when it’s suppose to have 3000?

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
8gb is definitely not enough and especially as a single channel. If your playing games better than Minecraft and especially at higher settings your gonna need a second stick of 8
So I downloaded speccy and it says my ram is only using 1065 MHz when it’s suppose to have 3000?

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Memory will only run as fast as the slowest module.

You need to use the motherboard's User Guide/Manual to find the supported RAM modules and configurations.

What RAM modules are installed: Make, model, specs, RAM slots?
Corsair CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High, unsure on ram slots?

Ralston18

Titan
Which make, model, and version is your Gigabyte Motherboard?

Go to Gigabytes website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Determine what RAM slots are in use and which module is installed in the slot.

Speccy does provide such information but a physical check is recommended.

Read the Motherboard Guide. There should be specs for supported RAM and a section that provides guidance for the physical RAM installation.

Read all notes and the fine print. Very likely that the Guide will refer you back to Gigabyte's website for current information and updates. You should do so - specs can and do change with motherboards and motherboard versions.

You can also visit the RAM manufacturer's websites. They have lookup tables that can be searched to identify what RAM modules are supported by any given motherboard. Check two or three RAM manufacturers in order to get a consensus.

Details matter.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Which make, model, and version is your Gigabyte Motherboard?

Go to Gigabytes website and find the applicable User Guide/Manual.

Power down, unplug, open the case. Determine what RAM slots are in use and which module is installed in the slot.

Speccy does provide such information but a physical check is recommended.

Read the Motherboard Guide. There should be specs for supported RAM and a section that provides guidance for the physical RAM installation.

Read all notes and the fine print. Very likely that the Guide will refer you back to Gigabyte's website for current information and updates. You should do so - specs can and do change with motherboards and motherboard versions.

You can also visit the RAM manufacturer's websites. They have lookup tables that can be searched to identify what RAM modules are supported by any given motherboard. Check two or three RAM manufacturers in order to get a consensus.

Details matter.
Gigabyte H310M S2H 2.0

Ralston18

Titan
@Calvin7 has provided you with a key piece of information. But you must help by explaining what you have done.

What you have done thus far may not have been correct or applicable per se. Not an issue for anyone trying to help you.

However in order to discover and address the problem(s) you must provide more information about how you have configured the motherboard and RAM. Slots, configuration settings, timings, etc.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
@Calvin7 has provided you with a key piece of information. But you must help by explaining what you have done.

What you have done thus far may not have been correct or applicable per se. Not an issue for anyone trying to help you.

However in order to discover and address the problem(s) you must provide more information about how you have configured the motherboard and RAM. Slots, configuration settings, timings, etc.
Sorry what information do I need to give?

Ralston18

Titan
No worries....

" you must provide more information about how you have configured the motherboard and RAM. Slots, configuration settings, timings, etc. "

Refer to the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

List the configuration setting you choose, the RAM slots you populated, etc..

Overall knowing what is the "now" provides a baseline that can be verified and then if something is astray some corrective actions (ideas, solutions) may become apparent.

Everything matters: GPU (?), PSU (?)

And looking back: what games are you playing? Anything other than Call of Duty?

Most games list the required system specs in some format similar to "minimum", "recommended" and "best".

You do not want minimum and you do want as much best as you can afford.

That is why we always ask about specs. It could simply be that the current hardware, software, and configuration will not work for some game or game(s).

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
No worries....

" you must provide more information about how you have configured the motherboard and RAM. Slots, configuration settings, timings, etc. "

Refer to the Motherboard's User Guide/Manual.

List the configuration setting you choose, the RAM slots you populated, etc..

Overall knowing what is the "now" provides a baseline that can be verified and then if something is astray some corrective actions (ideas, solutions) may become apparent.

Everything matters: GPU (?), PSU (?)

And looking back: what games are you playing? Anything other than Call of Duty?

Most games list the required system specs in some format similar to "minimum", "recommended" and "best".

You do not want minimum and you do want as much best as you can afford.

That is why we always ask about specs. It could simply be that the current hardware, software, and configuration will not work for some game or game(s).
I’ve got 2 ram slots and 1 stick of ram (8gb 3000mhz) in slot 1, I’m unsure how I’ve configured most things, I just followed how to do it through a tutorial

Ralston18

Titan
Motherboard User Guide/Manual:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/H310M-S2H-20-rev-10/support#support-manual

However, that link is for Rev 1.0 - your motherboard may be a different version or different in some other manual.

You must verify that the User Guide/Manual is indeed a match to your motherboard. Read all of the print on the motherboard itself.

Tutorials can be helpful in many ways but sometimes there are errors, details that are overlooked, etc.

It is time for a "do-over". Find the manual. Read it carefully while looking at your current installation and configuration, Do not immediately start changing things. Also read the installation Guide/Manual for all installed components.

If you find something that is not as expected or as it should be then make some notes accordingly. Make a list of questions and concerns.

For example, if there is only one stick of RAM which slot does the motherboard's User Guide say you should use. Did you use that slot?

Again read everything, including fine print and footnotes. Go to the manufacturer's websites for current information. Likely there are some updates regarding changes, documentation errors, etc..

Frankly, you should probably take the build all apart with the possible exception of pulling the CPU. Still you need to read and ensure that the CPU is fully supported by the motherboard.

And overall, what PSU is being used: make, model, wattage, age, condition? If the PSU is not up to the task of supporting the build's power demands - all will be for nought.

Do not do any overclocking etc. Objective is to get the build up and running smoothly. Performance can be tweaked later on once you have some assurance that all of the components are compatible and functioning.

iammatty, to set the ram to run at the maximum supported speed of the CPU and motherboard chipset, press the delete key at bootup to enter the bios. Use your keyboard arrow keys to move to and press enter on the M.I.T menu.

You are looking for Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) which should be in Advanced Memory settings. If your modules support 2666Mhz as an XMP setting, select that and then press F10 to save and exit. Your ram should now be running at 2666Mhz. If XMP does not work, you will need to manually enter 2666Mhz in the Advanced Memory settings menu.

If you buy a second 8GB module, buy the same exact model for better compatibility assuming it works properly at 2666Mhz.

Solution

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016

Is it true to think my mobo doesn’t support that much MHz? I’ve just ordered the exact same ram
But 2400 instead

Is it true to think my mobo doesn’t support that much MHz? I’ve just ordered the exact same ram
But 2400 instead
Your i5-9600K only supports up to 2666Mhz memory speed unless using a Z series overclocking motherboard, which will allow you to overclock ram higher than the maximum limit of the CPU. If you don't have a Z series board you are limited to the maximum support memory speed of the CPU. So if you had an i3-9100 you would be limited to 2400Mhz. If you had a Z series board you could run 3000Mhz or higher ram speed with that i3-9100.

Since you ordered a 2400Mhz module you might be limited to 2400Mhz, but you will probably be able to overclock it to 2666Mhz without issue. I personally would have ordered another 3000Mhz module assuming I knew the original has XMP for 2666Mhz or get a 2x8GB 2666-3000 kit.

iammatty

Honorable
Jan 8, 2016
Your i5-9600K only supports up to 2666Mhz memory speed unless using a Z series overclocking motherboard, which will allow you to overclock ram higher than the maximum limit of the CPU. If you don't have a Z series board you are limited to the maximum support memory speed of the CPU. So if you had an i3-9100 you would be limited to 2400Mhz. If you had a Z series board you could run 3000Mhz or higher ram speed with that i3-9100.

Since you ordered a 2400Mhz module you might be limited to 2400Mhz, but you will probably be able to overclock it to 2666Mhz without issue. I personally would have ordered another 3000Mhz module assuming I knew the original has XMP for 2666Mhz or get a 2x8GB 2666-3000 kit.
Yes I would have too but someone said my mobo wouldn’t support 3000 mhz