Just bought new GPU, not working?

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I just bought a MSi Gaming r9 270. I hooked it up to my computer and it displayed a screen, howver all my games are playing absurdly slow. I don't know why, my monitors connected to my card. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?
Oh, and im pretty sure I have the newest drivers.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
My specs Are; dell xps 8300 intel quad core i7-2600 3.4 ghz 16 gigs of ram 550w thermaltake psu.
Yes, I uninstalled all old graphics drivers then redownlaoded a brand new catalyst one.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I don't have integrated graphics, which means it has to be running through my card right? I just checked.

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I don't have the options the video does, and when im in device manager the only display adapter is the r9 200. are there any other potential causes?

The graphics card requires a 500 watt power supply. You have a 550 watt PSU, so that is probably OK.

You Specified that you down loaded the new drivers. So that is probably OK.

Your CPU motherboard and RAM also seem to be adequate.

The graphics card may be malfunctioning or not up to specs. Or possibly your expectations of performance aren't realistic. How do you define "absurdly slow"?

There is also the possibility of other programs running in the background slowing things down. There is the possibility of spyware or viruses as well.

Are your system temperatures normal?

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

in terms of my expectations minecraft on high is averaging 20 fps. it cant handle tomg raider or tf2. Ive wiped my computer a few times, and only downloaded a few things and the performance hasn't changed. My bet is that the card is somehow defective should I return it?

grrsona

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014

I might have access to an old NVidia card, its not great, but it should be a considerable upgrade from my AMD Radeon HD 6450. ill try that out.In the meantime ill return the card. I submitted the RMA request to newgg, while I wait I will test out the NVidia card.