Just Bought PG278Q 144HZ G-SYNC and Confused, Games Running Over 144 Frames, Should This be Happening?

Hermanios

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017
Title! Just wondering if my framerate should exceed 144 as it is exceeding the refresh rate. I turn off V-SYNC on all games now since the videos I have seen advice that. Thanks!

Solution
G-Sync does not cap your FPS to match your monitor the way Vsync does. What G-Sync does is match the refresh rate of your monitor to the FPS your GPU is putting out.

If you are getting over 144 FPS G-Sync isn't doing anything at all since your monitor can't refresh any faster than that. This is worth a read.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/g-sync-gets-even-better

For enthusiasts, we’ve included a new advanced control option that enables G-SYNC to be disabled when the frame rate of a game exceeds the maximum refresh rate of the G-SYNC monitor. For instance, if your frame rate can reach 250 on a 144Hz monitor, the new option will disable G-SYNC once you exceed 144 frames per second. Doing so will disable G-SYNCs goodness...

king3pj

Distinguished
G-Sync does not cap your FPS to match your monitor the way Vsync does. What G-Sync does is match the refresh rate of your monitor to the FPS your GPU is putting out.

If you are getting over 144 FPS G-Sync isn't doing anything at all since your monitor can't refresh any faster than that. This is worth a read.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/g-sync-gets-even-better

For enthusiasts, we’ve included a new advanced control option that enables G-SYNC to be disabled when the frame rate of a game exceeds the maximum refresh rate of the G-SYNC monitor. For instance, if your frame rate can reach 250 on a 144Hz monitor, the new option will disable G-SYNC once you exceed 144 frames per second. Doing so will disable G-SYNCs goodness and reintroduce tearing, which G-SYNC eliminates, but it will improve input latency ever so slightly in games that require lighting fast reactions.

Some G-SYNC monitors also include a NVIDIA Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) display mode, which strobes the backlight of the monitor to eliminate motion blur and further reduce input latency. The quality of ULMB is tied to a player’s frame rate, however, meaning a high, consistent frame rate of 120 to 144 frames per second is required to avoid distracting and unsightly flickering.

In the new Game Ready driver, you can now select on a per-game basis whether to use G-SYNC or ULMB, if your monitor supports it. This allows for seamless switching between display modes, enabling players of Counter-Strike to use ULMB, before switching to G-SYNC for The Witcher 3, without any additional user input or use of the monitor's OSD.

Solution

Hermanios

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

So it going over 144 frames doesn't really matter?

king3pj

Distinguished
You should be using ULMB in games like CS:GO where the framerate is higher than your monitor's refresh rate for the best experience.

Leave Vsync off for the least amount of input delay unless you are seeing screen tearing. That link I posted will tell you how to enable ULMB in the Nvidia Control Panel for individual games so you don't have to keep messing with your monitor's settings to switch between ULMB and G-Sync.

Hermanios

Reputable
Jan 5, 2017

What monitor do you run?

king3pj

Distinguished
I have a Dell 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor. I don't play CS:GO. Most of my games don't run above 144 FPS with my 1070 so I typically just leave G-Sync enabled. If I played a ton of CS:GO I would probably be using ULMB for that game instead though.