[SOLVED] Just bought the Asus 2070 super strix and later found out there's a OC edition

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Hello people.
So like the title says , I've built my new rig and in it there's a 2070 super , here's the fill full name:

ASUS RTX 2070 SUPER ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-8G-GAMING.

Later I've found out there's a O8G edition.
I wonder if I should return the card and get the OC edition.
The store is closed now so idk if it's still available but it is on their website.. also the drive to the store is a pain in the ass , about an hour and a half per direction.

Is it worth it though?

Solution
Hello people.
So like the title says , I've built my new rig and in it there's a 2070 super , here's the fill full name:

The store is closed now so idk if it's still available but it is on their website.. also the drive to the store is a pain in the ass , about an hour and a half per direction.

Is it worth it though?

No its not worth it if you really dont want to since the OC models are just factory overclocked and since you can still overclock the non oc models theres really no need for you to return your card.
The OC models are for people who dont want to overclock...
Hello people.

Is it worth it though?

No its not worth it if you really dont want to since the OC models are just factory overclocked and since you can still overclock the non oc models theres really no need for you to return your card.
The OC models are for people who dont want to overclock themselves and is simply a cash grab from various companies imo.

You can overclock your GPU with a software such as MSI Afterburner. There are many tutorials out there that can help you to overclock your gpu if you have never done it before.

It is a really easy process and theres no way to actually harm your card when overclocking it, even if you put the sliders to the max since when an overclock is unsuccessful all you'd be experiencing are software crashes or artifacting in which case you just need to revert to default or simply just pull the core clock down to a point where it's stable.

Reactions: ShlomiU
Solution

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
The OC models are for people who dont want to overclock themselves and is simply a cash grab from various companies imo.

You can overclock your GPU with a software such as MSI Afterburner. There are many tutorials out there that can help you to overclock your gpu if you have never done it before.

It is a really easy process and theres no way to actually harm your card when overclocking it, even if you put the sliders to the max since when an overclock is unsuccessful all you'd be experiencing are software crashes or artifacting in which case you just need to revert to default or simply just pull the core clock down to a point where it's stable.
You could overclock the card by yourself sitting at home but if you're someone who wants the overclock out of the box, then yeah, swap out the card for the OC version.

So it's not actually a better card ? Just overclocked by Asus ?
I could achieve the same thing just by overclocking it using MSI afterburner and just inputting the same values as the OC edition ?

So it's not actually a better card ? Just overclocked by Asus ?
I could achieve the same thing just by overclocking it using MSI afterburner and just inputting the same values as the OC edition ?
Nope. Same card just factory overclocked as in overclocked by asus in this case. You can achieve the same performance or even better by overclocking yourself.

You could try inputting the same values yes and you can most likely hit them stable and go beyond them if you're lucky.

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Nope. Same card just factory overclocked as in overclocked by asus in this case. You can achieve the same performance or even better by overclocking yourself.

You could try inputting the same values yes and you can most likely hit them stable and go beyond them if you're lucky.

If they're the same card only one is overclocked by Asus and the other is factory , why would it be most likely? do they change anything else except from the core values and memories?

If they're the same card only one is overclocked by Asus and the other is factory , why would it be most likely? do they change anything else except from the core values and memories?
Not to my knowledge no.

I put most likely because not every card is able to run the same overclocks what another card of the same model can since all cards oc differently.

Later I've found out there's a O8G edition. I wonder if I should return the card and get the OC edition.
Is it worth it though?
They both are overclocked.
Nvidia reference RTX 2070 SUPER:
base/boost 1605/1770mhz

ASUS RTX 2070 SUPER ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-8G-GAMING
OC mode base/boost 1635/1800mhz

ASUS RTX 2070 SUPER ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-O8G-GAMING
OC mode 1635/1935mhz

Personally I'd prefer non-oc models. Factory OC cards are not always tested enough for working in OC environment. At some point it may start to crash and cause artifacting. Then you have to do all kind of manipulations to get rid of factory OC, for the card to be used normally.

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Not to my knowledge no.

I put most likely because not every card is able to run the same overclocks what another card of the same model can since all cards oc differently.

I see.
So let's say I keep this normal edition and I input the clock values of the OC edition , will this be a good approach ?

They both are overclocked.
Nvidia reference:
base/boost 1605/1770mhz

ASUS RTX 2070 SUPER ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-8G-GAMING
OC mode base/boost 1635/1800mhz

ASUS RTX 2070 SUPER ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S-O8G-GAMING
OC mode 1635/1935mhz

Personally I'd prefer non-oc models. Factory OC cards are not always tested enough for working in OC environment. At some point it may start to crash and cause artifacting. Then you have to do all kind of manipulations to get rid of factory OC, for the card to be used normally.

I see , so one is overclocked more and one is overclocked less..
The question remains, could I overclock the normal edition to the values of the OC edition and just test it like that? or should I approach it "safely"

Do as you please.
Just don't kill your card with OC experimentation. Watch temperatures closely. Do extensive testing.

The chances of you killing a GPU nowadays due to a bad overclock are really slim since your card wont simply allow the temperature to go above a certain limit and in a case it does get to that point the card shuts off.

But still i agree with your point.
Watch out for high temps since a high enough temp can harm your gpu in terms of aging.

Reactions: ShlomiU

ShlomiU

Commendable
Mar 24, 2020
Do as you please.
Just don't kill your card with OC experimentation. Watch temperatures closely. Do extensive testing.
The chances of you killing a GPU nowadays due to a bad overclock are really slim since your card wont simply allow the temperature to go above a certain limit and in a case it does get to that point the card shuts off.

But still i agree with your point.
Watch out for high temps since a high enough temp can harm your gpu in terms of aging.

Understood ! Thanks for the help