[SOLVED] Just built a new computer and having issues with a old HDD.

Apr 2, 2020
I recently sold my computer to build a new one. I took the hard drive out to hopefully just boot up the system and have my old desktop. That is not the case, when I booted it up the only thing there was my one drive stuff. I also added a SSD and that is the only storage showing up. Is there a way to get all of my old stuff onto this computer? Also how do I get this HDD working so I can use it as my junk storage?? Help!

Edit: I tried updating windows and shutting the computer down then plugging in the hard drive and still nothing, before the HDD appeared in disc management just not in “this pc”, now it is nowhere to be seen. I also tried a different SATA port on the motherboard. I am still very lost.

Last edited:
Solution
I recently sold my computer to build a new one. I took the hard drive out to hopefully just boot up the system and have my old desktop. That is not the case, when I booted it up the only thing there was my one drive stuff. I also added a SSD and that is the only storage showing up. Is there a way to get all of my old stuff onto this computer? Also how do I get this HDD working so I can use it as my junk storage?? Help!
You switched motherboards by moving the disk to a new PC. That usually requires a clean OS install.
You connect JUST your new SSD to the new motherboard then follow the instructions for a clean install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
After you have...

kanewolf

Titan
You switched motherboards by moving the disk to a new PC. That usually requires a clean OS install.
You connect JUST your new SSD to the new motherboard then follow the instructions for a clean install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
After you have the install done, install the motherboard drivers and do windows updates. THEN power off and connect your old disk. Your files will be there. Most applications will require reinstallation.

Solution
Apr 2, 2020
After you have the install done, install the motherboard drivers and do windows updates. THEN power off and connect your old disk. Your files will be there. Most applications will require reinstallation.
Yeah i did a fresh install, ill download drivers and do the restart. Thank you!