Just built computer won't load any OS

aninjacheezit

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
I just built a computer, after I put it together and turned it on I figured it was time for an OS. I put in my copy of windows 7 and it randomly froze at the starting windows screen. i reset my computer multiple times and it freezes random spots during the installation. I figured it was my disc. I flash drived a copy of Linux and it also froze randomly. Now for my trouble shooting. I went into the BIOS and when i ran the disc my cd/dvd player was the first to boot when i used the flash Linux my USB was the first to boot. I took out all my ram but one and no help. i ran memtest86 and found no errors. I booted Linux from my flash drive with my HDD disconnected and again froze. Now my last thing is i took out my motherboard and processor and used an old motherboard and processor from my old computer and it worked fine linux installed fine and everything. so i believe my problem is in my processor or motherboard. Is there anything i didn't try or do i really have to RMA my motherboard or processor? my set up is the follow:
case: antec nine hundred
motherboard: amd msi 890fxa-GD70
cpu: amd fx6100 6core
ram: 2x 4gb gskill ripjaw 1333
gpu: geforce gtx560
power supply: seasonic 650W
HDD: seagate 1tb

DrAwesome109

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
It sounds like your processor is overheating. Make sure your heatsink fan is running and facing the right direction. If it already is, I'd make sure the power supply is rated high enough to handle what it's trying to run.

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
You would probably need another amd processor with the same socket to upgrade the BIOS first (only applies if your current BIOS version doesn't support the FX). I don't think it's your PSU that is causing the problems. Probably mobo or processor as DrAwesome mentioned earlier.

aninjacheezit

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
Guys i think i found the problem like hpdeskjet and scout_03 said i need to update my bios i looked on the back of the mb box and my fx chip is no where to be found on the cpus..... it only works with a bios update is there anyway to update the bios without getting another chip?

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

Yes, sorry about the whole needing another AMD processor thing. That is usually for people who can't get to POST with their FX CPU. Anyway, if updating your BIOS doesn't solve the problem, I wouldn't rule out a defective hard drive if you got it brand new.

aninjacheezit

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
i wouldnt say its a defective hd because of two of my troubleshooting methods one the disconnecting it and trying to boox Linux and the other of using my old processor and old motherboard with my hdd connected and it installed Linux fine but i'm not exactly a pro at this stuff so maybe. and also is there any other way to update my bios without another cpu? only other cpu i got is a sempron which wont fit in my cpusocket

quicksand10

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012

Try flashing the BIOS with your current CPU, it should work since you're able to POST. :)

hpdeskjet

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011

I'm not a pro either haha. I'm leaning towards bad motherboard (freezing while booting Linux from USB) if your BIOS update doesn't fix anything. How many passes did you run Memtest for? Most people advise at least 10 passes or something in that range.