Just built my grandma a computer...

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
So I got this odd request from my grandmother yesterday and I have been put to the task of building her the cheapest computer possible. Unfortunately I'm a little low on cash and all the spare parts needed to build a decent system; but I think this is something that can handle anything she would ever want to throw at it (ie. email, facebook). If anyone has any comments, ideas on making it cheaper, making it better (without raising the price much) please let me know. I order tomorrow.

CPU: Intel Celeron D 346 3.06Ghz | $5.94
Heatsink: Stock Intel | Free
Mobo: Intel D915PBLL | $23.99
RAM: PNY 1Gb DDR2 667Mhz | $9.14
HDD: Maxtor 80Gb | Free
Case: Powerup Executive | Free
PSU: Corsair Builder 430 | Free
GFX: Nvidia 8500GT | Free
Monitor: Samsung 19" | Free
Keyboard/Mouse: M$ | Free
Total: ------- | $39.07

-------------------Edit-----
Added HDD

Solution

Way to go IMO. And really, Ubuntu is the way to go as well, as most of the guys have said already 'cuz she doesn't seem to have any need for Windows specific apps. It's safer, lighter and totally free (legally :p).

Now that I see that you're open to the idea of an upgrade later, keeping your PSU, Case, HDD, and the rest of the peripherals, you'll only need a CPU, Board and RAM which will cost ~$120 (instead of $50).

Once you do go for an upgrade, a G620 ($50) is all she'll ever need for the next 5+ years or so. In fact it's pretty much...

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Ha, I almost forgot. I have an old 80Gb Maxtor drive I'm thowing into it. It's old and has been tossed down a flight of wooden stairs; but, everything checked out fine 5yrs ago when it happened; and about an hour ago after I found it hiding in the back of a closet.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I always thought I needed a 39 dollar computer. :D

But in all honesty, it's difficult to argue with that, but maybe sticking in another GB of RAM wouldn't hurt ;)

:ouch: :ouch: :ouch:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit - $0.00 :p :lol:

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I'm going to make an attempt at W8; if it doesn't work out I have an old copy of XP. If that doesn't work out I break out the ol 98' disks.

Your grandma deserves better. Good grief, at least buy her a glowing red case fan. A set of headphones would be nice also.
I would if I could. I really don't have any money to throw at this at the moment so I was hoping for something to at least get her feet wet when it comes to ones of the "fandangled" devices. If she likes it she'll be upgraded to something a little more modern and better suited to her exact needs; if not, no big loss.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Actually, my cousin runs Win 7 (x86) on her HP mini that she got from her school with just the 1Gb RAM and an Intel Atom single core processor and it runs just fine. Obviously, just fine means FB, YouTube, and Java programming @ school.

So I think Granny will be just fine, but the Op has to be careful not to install ANY CPU intensive programs or RAM consuming ones either ;)

MOBO:GIGABYTE GA-H61M-S2PV(R2.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $65
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128537

CPU: Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz - $88
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116397

PSU:Antec VP-450 450W ATX 12V v2.3 Power Supply - $38
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371045

RAM:Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600Desktop Memory - $30
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148488

Case:Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $50
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147153

HDD: 500GB Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 - $70
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152181#top

ODD: Samsung DVD Burner -$14
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151244 edit you could use the PSU & case you already have that's $88 bucks saved out this build lol

if the case is an atx case...then go to your local micro center.. the g6x chip is 50.00. there also some mb for 60.00 or go with a amd chip and mb. ram would be 19.00 looking just over 100.00 for three parts. doing that will at lest give you a warranty on the parts if something fails.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I have a similar system at home - a Dell Dimension B110 with Celeron D and 1 GB of RAM. I am running Ubuntu 11.04, but it had graphics problems with the new Unity desktop, so I am running the classic desktop with no problems. Versions after 11.04 have eliminated the classic desktop option so if you run into problems with the current version I would suggest going back to 11.04 and trying the classic desktop. I also set up a netbook with Ubuntu for my mother in law and father in law after a virus wiped out their Windows, and as far as I know they have been able to figure it out.

spankmon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Linux operating systems are a great alternative for those people who do not absolutely NEED Windows for some specific applications or games. Linux systems are free, work nicely and quickly, don't need any anti-virus software.... and the Linux community is way more helpful and fast to respond than the Windows support desk. And you also can run some Windows apps in Linux by using the Windows emulator software called WINE (also free). I personally use Linux (Xubuntu or Mint-Debian) for everything except gaming (for which I boot into Win7).

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Yeah $50ish is the goal atm. I just stumbled upon 4 1gb sticks today so theirs being tossed into the box.

I'm really hoping to update her to an ivy i3/pentium with a small ssd in the future...

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Way to go IMO. And really, Ubuntu is the way to go as well, as most of the guys have said already 'cuz she doesn't seem to have any need for Windows specific apps. It's safer, lighter and totally free (legally :p).

Now that I see that you're open to the idea of an upgrade later, keeping your PSU, Case, HDD, and the rest of the peripherals, you'll only need a CPU, Board and RAM which will cost ~$120 (instead of $50).

Once you do go for an upgrade, a G620 ($50) is all she'll ever need for the next 5+ years or so. In fact it's pretty much the go-to processor for most entry level gaming systems worth 10-15 times your budget :)

BTW, you didn't mention an optical drive. You'll need that for the OS installation unless you want to boot Ubuntu from an USB stick and for that, your board has to play ball.

Solution

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Ubuntu is the best option for her and I'll more than likely end up installing it.

I'm currently planning on doing a usb install; and if not just toss in my drive for a few minutes. By the time I do the upgrade I should have a spare drive laying around anyway :)

Where are you finding the G620 for $50 at?

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
Another soul saved from the tyranny of Microsoft! I think it's a good decision. If the Cel D has trouble with Ubuntu, it will almost surely be able to handle one of the lightweight distros like Puppy. USB install is easy for any Linux distro as long as your BIOS has an option to boot from USB.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

I can swear it was at that price a few weeks ago. Damn! It's popularity has pushed the price up drastically :ouch: