[SOLVED] Just built PC getting RAM issues help

Nov 8, 2020
Hello All,

I have just built a new computer. I am having an issue which I believe to be with the RAM (Specs will be below). I cannot seem to get my RAM to run at 3600Mhz, it only runs at 2666mhz. Everytime I attempt to turn it up in BIOS it restarts and then unfortunately there is no screen at all and I have to flash the BIOS each time to get it working again. I have attempted using different slots and alternating the RAM sticks etc.
When i tried to use the XMP feature built into the MoBo (which runs at 3600mhz) with dual sticks it does the same thing the screen goes black and displays no input available until I flash the MoBo and it comes back and I can load into BIOS with the RAM reset to 2666mhz.
Finally, I managed to get it to 3600mhz by turning the voltage up past the recommend amount of 1.35v and get a full days uptime but since waking up it showed no display and I had to flash it again.

Any help appreciated. Cheers!

Specs:
MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91)
AMD RYZEN 5 5600x
Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz RAM (Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, DDR4, DRAM,CL16)
NVIDIA 3070 FE
SABRENT ROCKET Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280.
CORSAIR CP-9020061-UK CXM750 ATX/EPS (750W)

Last edited:
Solution
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

XMP is a set of settings that are embedded in the ram itself.
Invoking those settings is the job of the bios.
It seems that the ryzen bios has not always done this correctly, hence to check for bios updates.
You should be able to set the settings yourself in the bios.
The ram is well binned 2400 speed ram that can be overclocked to run at 3600 speed, It needs 1.35v to do that.

If no joy with manual settings,
Contact crucial with your issue.
They have the expertise with their products.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Finally, I managed to get it to 3600mhz by turning the voltage up past the recommend amount of 1.3v and get a full days uptime but since waking up it showed no display and I had to flash it again.

That memory should be 1.35 volts to run 3600. For 3600 I would try as high as 1.37

Nov 8, 2020
Finally, I managed to get it to 3600mhz by turning the voltage up past the recommend amount of 1.3v and get a full days uptime but since waking up it showed no display and I had to flash it again.

That memory should be 1.35 volts to run 3600. For 3600 I would try as high as 1.37
Are there any other settings I need to change or just the voltage?I'll try it now @ 1.37 and let you know.

Nov 8, 2020

Attempted those settings, unfortunately got the same black screen.

Run memtest86.

It seems that the ryzen bios has not always done this correctly, hence to check for bios updates.
The ram is well binned 2400 speed ram that can be overclocked to run at 3600 speed, It needs 1.35v to do that.

Solution
Nov 8, 2020
Run memtest86.

Thanks, I will report back.