IIKrypticII

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
So I just built a new PC I will list my specs below:

Asus Strix B250H Mobo
16GB DDR4 G-SKILL Ripjaws ram
i7-7700 3.60GHz
Geforce GTX 1070

now prior to this, this build had an i5 in it and I swapped over to the i7, and went from a 1060 to a 1070, so these are parts from another build that I never had an issue with. My temps all seem normal, idling at maybe 40 c and while gaming (playing Dead by daylight for example, in pic) they hit mid 50s MAX.

I was playing gta 5 ultra, and really anything current on ultra and have not had any drops in fps until this build, randomly will drop from 61fps to about 45fps and then catch back up every couple minutes. All my drivers are updated and the only overlay I use is steam overlay for fps counter..Below I will show a pic as well of my task manager, and I have never had an issue having programs open in the background either, whether it be chrome with youtube, some tabs, OBS streaming and recording, ALWAYS had steady 60fps.

I also upgraded from using a 55 inch smart tv to 2 24 inch samsung 4000 series LEDs that double as monitors, don't know if that matters. One is straight HDMI and the other is Displayport male to HDMI female as the 1070 only has one HDMI port.

Any help would be much appreciated.

_NOTE_

I flashed my bios and it said it was successful but then when it booted back into bios it had the same build date as before..

Can't add pictures because it's saying my email isn't confirmed, but it is.

Solution

Well first off it makes no sense you'd be idling at 40c, then have it drop to 32c in game. Even if you're just standing still with no action going on, what's being rendered onscreen should take temps above that 40c idle.

So I have to ask how you're monitoring temps? Throttling, which is pretty much what you described, can also be related to power issues though, so check your PSU voltage...
7700s can run pretty hot, and 40c at idle might mean high load temps. Check your load temps, and try to add a case fan or two if they're high. What CPU cooler are you using btw?

7700s were infamous for poor thermal paste, which is why a lot of people delidded them (not recommended unless you know what you're doing).

My i7-8700k idles at about 27c.

IIKrypticII

Reputable
Jul 26, 2014
@frag maniac I tweaked a few things and right now with the division up in the background on ultra all cores are running about 32c and I've had it playing for about an hour or more they maxed between 42-48c (being the highest) and right now im using a Cooler Master Hyper 212x with one fan on it, and have 4 or 5 other fans in the case as well

Well first off it makes no sense you'd be idling at 40c, then have it drop to 32c in game. Even if you're just standing still with no action going on, what's being rendered onscreen should take temps above that 40c idle.

So I have to ask how you're monitoring temps? Throttling, which is pretty much what you described, can also be related to power issues though, so check your PSU voltage stability. What PSU are you running?

Solution